2.Project WRZ 2.0 GL > wide arch 22b look with wrx transplant

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2008, 09:22 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.Project WRZ 2.0 GL > wide arch 22b look with wrx transplant

Hello peeps

as a few of you know I drive / need an automatic.

This is fine if I want Yank Muscle (My main project), but as you are also, I am a SUBARU lover.

I have to say I never thought back when I was a lad that I would ever be able to own a Scooby.
All the things you hear about them and their costs as an outsider etc, and the whole 'stay away from grey imports' thing.

So not really expecting to buy one I mooched around on auto trader / ebay motors for a bit in late 2004, looking (pie-in-the-sky) for a suitable Impreza and the costs.

There were prerequisites when I set out in search for my car, and at 24yrs old they they did not include turbo
  1. Had to be auto
  2. Had to be blue
  3. Had to be a saloon
  4. Had to be a facelifted era classic
Low and behold I found a UK spec Reddish Blue 2.0 AWD Auto GL in Bedfordshire for £3200 so after making isurance enquiries my dad came with me to check it out.

If you've ever seen a standard GL with no spoiler, no bonnet scoop, and hubcaps you'd not be impressed!

Not quite what the Impreza should look like right? However I knew what I would make of it so wasn't phased by this.

I got the car needless to say :P (Dec 2004)

What I changed to start with.
  • Wheels (Jan 2005 I think)
  • Spoiler
  • Bonnet
  • Front bumper > driving lamps.
  • Skirts
  • A decal or 5
Result:

Then, after a while I felt it was time to do a little more...
  • P555 *** registration
  • Removed rubbing stips from doors
  • Cheapish rally decal kit to see if I could live with it, or rather if the family / neighbours could.
  • Rally flaps
  • Prodrive p-wrc1 oz alloys
Result

Taken at a Surrey Scoobies meet. (Feb 2006 IIRC)

Then in 2007 I did the long thought about interior upgrades with a little help from Chris from Surrey Scoobies and Oxted Trimming.
  • STi 8 seats (Feb 07)
  • Door card Alcantara retrim (Summer 07)

My old Dad kindly unpacking the seats

Fitted and with door cards finally done

I also got the yellow SWRT decals replaced with high grade drop shadow versions by DS Graphics prior to the door cards being done.

Enlarged image

Last edited by riiidaa; 15 January 2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 15 January 2008, 09:30 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

more to follow...
Old 15 January 2008, 09:30 PM
tiny gsy
Scooby Regular

looks good so far mate
Old 15 January 2008, 09:43 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb 2008 - big plans

Originally Posted by tiny gsy
looks good so far mate
Thank you

Ok..

So...

And this year...

I've gone and bought some wide arch 22B replica bits, so will probabably have that fitted and sprayed in stages, starting at the front.

Also on the desirable list is a WRX turbo conversion and to have modified hubs made up to take on proper WRC OZ Magnesium mags which I bought before I realised they'd need wide arches for. *doh*

This is where the project name WRZ comes from, World Rally Zampa (my last name)

AFAIK The only ever Classic Auto turbo Impreza's that were made were WRX pre face-lift JDM classics, and they were ALL Silver from what I've found out to date.

They did the Saloon and the Wagon and although you don't often find either I know of 2 locally, and I've had passenger laps now in both of them!

Certainly a big difference in kick between the JDM WRX and the UK GL.

Enough to make me contemplate buying one for parts.

I'd need (just off the top of my head):
  • Wiring loom (Engine loom only?)
  • Engine (Wiv de Turbo!)
  • ECU
  • Brakes all round
  • Probably the whole WRX gearbox but possibly just the torque convertor?
  • Exhaust up / down and sideways pipes.
I have thought about trading in my car for a WRX, or even Auto WRX and then getting it to look like mine, but repsraying a car is proper costly.

The plan would be to get an auto wagon at around half the cost of the auto saloon and then strip as many parts from it that could be transplanted.

Not sure how much of the suspension would be the same as the saloon.

I'm still researching all this and the insurance overheads so haven't commited to the engine upgrades yet.

I'm open to offers of help if you're up for a challenge / laugh.
Old 15 January 2008, 09:49 PM
tiny gsy
Scooby Regular

will be keeping an eye on this as I`m contemplating a 22b kit for mine later in the year. Also, have you checkedd out .:ImprezaSport.net:. ? there`s bound to be something on there about a transplant although I think its commonly felt the easier option is to change to a wrx and then get it sprayed.

also, bearing in mind you`ll be adding the 22b kit, won`t it need a respray?
Old 15 January 2008, 10:10 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Ok the can I / can't I debate regarding turbo convertion...

I'm not selling my car for an Auto WRX, I have my reasons, most of them you've just seen, so I'm on the brink of committing to a JDM WRX donor car to do a transplant in my UK non-turbo'd GL.

Having researched I found some useful snips of info when I came across a few peeps that have done NAsp to Turbo convertions:

N_W_S
http://www.imprezasport.net/forums/i...pic=3544&st=15

Adam
http://www.imprezasport.net/forums/i...ic=15154&st=15
PM'd this guy on Impreza Sport but as yet no reply

oh and am Yank thread with good info:
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...ine/index.html

The problem other than money will be the wiring harness change to accomodate the WRX engine.

Pretty much anything I've read says that with what with the electrics between jap & UK spec being different, I'd be having headaches so had been warned off.

The way around it seemed to be a COMPLETE loom swap out - which seemed way more than I wanted to do just to be able to have a bit more go to go with the show, I'm primarily concerned with car asthetics not performance as a rule.

Contact's I'd used up until 2 days ago do not feel confident with taking on the wiring job = cos jap cars have different wiring and ecu's all over the show.

The wiring then, proving to be the major hurdle, and I was about to give up and keep my car the way is because locally I couldn't find the expertise willing and confident about doing the work, until contacting Jap Performance Parts, Lee who helps them out, and is a mate of mine put me in touch with Paul Randle of PR Developments.

I've spoken with Paul, and things are looking more promising, though he's based a fair old treck away from me.

PR Developments
Paul Randle 07888 699894
http://prsubaru.com/
Paulrandle2003@yahoo.co.uk

If any of you have or know of someone who has had personal experience of his work on convertions etc please share your feedback?!

Thanks
Old 15 January 2008, 11:11 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

will be keeping an eye on this as I`m contemplating a 22b kit for mine later in the year.?
Good stuff, HT Autos?

Also, have you checkedd out .:ImprezaSport.net:. ? ? there`s bound to be something on there about a transplant?
you replied before I finished typing up my follow up post, yep primarily a non-turbo site you are right it was certainly a place to check. I did do so - and have now rehashed this same project thread on there also, originally this thread emerged on my regional forum, Home of the Surrey Subaru Club! I've re posted it here you see.

although I think its commonly felt the easier option is to change to a wrx and then get it sprayed.
Have taken others statements on board, and yes it's the suggested thing to do, but I KNOW from previous experience how costly a proper full respray to my standards would be, when changing the cars colour, I've done this with my main project / hobby car. I got a good deal and that was at £3.5k

also, bearing in mind you`ll be adding the 22b kit, won`t it need a respray?
Again mate I can't fault you for pointing this important factor out, and it did make me think long and hard, but it's not quite a full respray, for me reddish blue is close enough to an SWRT / 22B colour for me to be happy, the roof nor the door shuts / chassis would need to be done therefore, and it's all the nooks and crannys like that which bump the paint costs right up.

Selling my car. Given all the work I've done too it then buying a decent auto wrx saloon at £3.5 / £4 grand then spending another £4 / 6 grand getting it all done simply just ain't for me, I'd sooner just make it look like a 22B wide arch and keep it non-turbo, maybe fit a NOS kit etc.

Stubborn bugger ain't I mate?

Last edited by riiidaa; 15 January 2008 at 11:14 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 15 January 2008, 11:20 PM
tiny gsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by riiidaa

Good stuff, HT Autos?
that is where I`ll hopefully be getting mine done all being well

I can understand what your saying about this being your project mate and by all means good luck with it. Maybe you can do a few basic mods ie borla, full system exhaust etc and the NOS and it maybe a better route for you to take. Certainly a turbo conversion maybe a lot more than you realise. Just as a suggestion what about the possibity of a small turbo conversion for your engine. Something without a huge amount of boost maybe. Might be a worthwhile option for some extra power without going the complete conversion route.

I wouldn`t say stubborn is the word either, I think "particular" is more apt in this instance
Old 15 January 2008, 11:34 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Cool

that is where I`ll hopefully be getting mine done all being well

I can understand what your saying about this being your project mate and by all means good luck with it.
Thanks dude, it's not really me saying 'look this is my project' or anything like that, what I mean was about the respray, that is more than some think - and costs shed loads to do properly, having done it with my Pontiac (Main project) I know the job is easily £4k to change a cars colour and not do a lashup. Anyone saying that its about a grand, either sleeps with the sprayer, or is out of touch with the figures.

Maybe you can do a few basic mods ie borla, full system exhaust etc and the NOS and it maybe a better route for you to take. Certainly a turbo conversion maybe a lot more than you realise. Just as a suggestion what about the possibity of a small turbo conversion for your engine. Something without a huge amount of boost maybe. Might be a worthwhile option for some extra power without going the complete conversion route.
Yeah am totally open to hearing more on this side of things, don't want to regret going the transplant route just for a bit more go!

I read on ISN some chap with a white Impreza with unpainted rear bumper (possibly scoobynutter) going on about using the standard engine with a turbo-like setup but he didnt really go into detail on the thread i viewed.

Last edited by riiidaa; 15 January 2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 15 January 2008, 11:38 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

A really enjoyable read, best of luck to you keep us informed on how the project is going

Old 15 January 2008, 11:39 PM
tiny gsy
Scooby Regular

have a look around on this thread mate:

Subaru Justy Turbo - Member's Car Gallery - NASIOC

was found my a member on ISN and might give you a few ideas
Old 15 January 2008, 11:52 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

have a look around on this thread mate:

Subaru Justy Turbo - Member's Car Gallery - NASIOC

was found my a member on ISN and might give you a few ideas
TY Tiny GSY, I'll have a butchers tomorrow - you've worn me out, playing multi forum table tennis.

Nice one.

Cheers all who've commented so far.
Old 15 January 2008, 11:54 PM
superscoobx
Scooby Regular

a turbo conversion is more costly than first appears.

Im 10k in at the moment, and its still not 100% on the road. Iv gone Sti 8 powered tho. talking £2250 for engine alone.

in my honest and experienced opinion, stick with the non turbo, live with the poor performance and buy yourself a secent turbo when you can afford it.
Old 16 January 2008, 10:02 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by superscoobx
a turbo conversion is more costly than first appears.

Im 10k in at the moment, and its still not 100% on the road. Iv gone Sti 8 powered tho. talking £2250 for engine alone.

in my honest and experienced opinion, stick with the non turbo, live with the poor performance and buy yourself a secent turbo when you can afford it.
Fair play, STi8 engine is to rich for my requirements but would be nice, all the best with completing yours.

Buying A turbo is something I could afford, but it wouldn't be the car I want / need the whole issue is, I'd want a blue auto turbo, and such cars were never built. I'd simply not buy a silver WRX and be happy with it.
Old 16 January 2008, 11:43 AM
superscoobx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by riiidaa
Fair play, STi8 engine is to rich for my requirements but would be nice, all the best with completing yours.

Buying A turbo is something I could afford, but it wouldn't be the car I want / need the whole issue is, I'd want a blue auto turbo, and such cars were never built. I'd simply not buy a silver WRX and be happy with it.

Thanks pal, its coming along nicely now. hopefully it will be back driving again today once i have fitted the brakes.

I have a newage car, and wanted to get the newest engine i could for my cash.

Your in the same boat as me in a way, know the car you want, subaru dont make it, so your going to make it yourself, fair play to you. just remember that when everyone is saying i told ya so, look at the pics of how it was.....

I get it on the weekly, 'I told you to buy an Sti!'

Looking back at the pics, what an achievment.

Good luck with it. If your serious about doing the conversion, i can copy you all my notes etc, im sure a lot will apply to the older gen car's. I am happy to post it you.
Old 16 January 2008, 12:30 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

I get it on the weekly, 'I told you to buy an Sti!'

Looking back at the pics, what an achievment.

Good luck with it. If your serious about doing the conversion, i can copy you all my notes etc, im sure a lot will apply to the older gen car's. I am happy to post it you.
Not having any feedback so far about PR Developments I'm still in two minds about the conversion, perhaps it's a safer bet to go and enhance the N/A lump I have, along the lines Tiny GSY mentioned.

Am keen to see / hear / read about your project tho, do you have a thread like this one knocking about? As you say I may be able to learn from it for stuff that I'd need to do / have done
Old 16 January 2008, 12:53 PM
superscoobx
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt spend any money on your engine at all, It wont make it much quicker, just louder and less economical.

im hoping to find some time to get a thread together with all i have done on the car in the next couple of days.

Iv done the lot, sti suspension, sti brakes, engine and FULL wiring loom, its a nightmare, but worth it. will pop a post up on here shortly with it all in detail!
Old 16 January 2008, 01:09 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

im hoping to find some time to get a thread together with all i have done on the car in the next couple of days.
I'll look forward to reading your project thread, too much detail on here might prove confusing for others viewing.
Old 17 January 2008, 01:54 AM
motoxxxr
Scooby Regular

hi mate i have done a conversion before, my car started as a 1.8gl and is now a wrx, i had alot of people trying to put me off the idea but anyway i started by buying a donor car a 98 wrx auto estate with 40k fresh import from ms autobodies for 2200 and stripped both cars. i found it was very easy to work on both cars. and putting the engine was again very easy. the wiring loom can look very scary but if you take pics as you go,the plugs are all different. once you have took the connectors off the engine and took the dash out the whole loom comes out in one piece its just a case of unplug one car and plug in the other car, i changed everything the good thing is the shells are both the same so the parts off the wrx with bolt on to your gl, you may have to take some blanking plugs out but the threads are there.the only troule i had was that i changed the wrx auto to the manual and i had to bypass the ecu to make the car start, you will be surprised how easy the job is apart from time as i had to race agaist sunlight as i did it on my driveway

this is just a quick summary and i hope it has given you an idea

ps how did you manage to put the side skirts on your gl Did you drill the sill or glue them on?
Old 17 January 2008, 09:35 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

motoxxxr

Thank you very much for sharing your experience I'm sure that I'll ask you bits and pieces if that's ok with you.

There is a lot of negative stuff written about converting it and the problems etc, you're right - for this reason i have really been put off the idea, until seeing your post and reading a few helpful links and threads peeps have pointed me at, despite being an American firm ECS Performance site made for encouraging and inspiring reading (as did your post).

I'm still waiting for P R Developments to reply to an email i sent, the chap sounded very knowledgeable. I'm not in the position to do the job myself so I'd have to entrust my car's wellbeing to someone good, who won't leave me up sh** creek.

About the skirts, i think they were bolted and sealed, I'll see if i can ask my body-shop man, i did say i didn't want them stuck on. ISN would probably hold some good nuggets of info on how-to and how NOT to do the fitting, if you cant find anything on here in the styling section.
Old 17 January 2008, 07:08 PM
motoxxxr
Scooby Regular

your welcome. i will try and help you out as best i can if you decide to go ahead with the conversion, you would be surprised how easy it is, if you have the will power to finish the project you will be very pleased, the first time you start the key and your new wrx fires up its a real proud moment i have surprised alot of people and by tne way im not in the trade im only a ameteur professional lol
Old 21 January 2008, 01:32 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

have fun fitting the 22b kit
Old 04 September 2008, 10:17 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
have fun fitting the 22b kit
I now know what you mean, several grand later...

Ok long time since last update, I guess some of you might be interested to see what I've been up too in the last month?

Build gallery and write-up among the foot notes... 22B kit mod

A taster:
Old 05 September 2008, 05:45 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

that looks ace mate,takes a lot of ***** to do what you did with not only a GL but an auto
Old 05 September 2008, 08:07 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by exvaux
that looks ace mate,takes a lot of ***** to do what you did with not only a GL but an auto
Thanks for the compliment. Auto being a prerequisite it wasn't that hard to commit, they never made wrx auto's in redish blue / sonic blue / WR blue.
Old 06 September 2008, 12:31 AM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

i took at look at this on sunday at prodrive ( outside office if corect )
Must say the kit looks extremely well fitted compared to some i've seen fitted
Are u gonna use spacers or summat on rear wheels as the only thing i thought needed cosmticlley finishing ( My opinion )
Good luck if u gonna convert , ignore the don't do it's
Just do it
Old 06 September 2008, 12:40 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Hey Bealescooby, thanks

hopefully you saw it before some bell-end forced my fuel filler cover in too far, it litterally only got out of the paint shop on the friday so things like the filler cover mechanism and stuff still need some work.

The studs on the wheel hubs are being changed to accommodate some rally spec OZ Prodrive wheels (See link a few posts up) - i think their offset is ET6 so there wont be any need for spacers I dont think. Just ran out of time really, we weren't going to embark on changing the studs that close to the 31st Aug, cos the car had an important convoy to attend
Old 07 September 2008, 07:21 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

holy crap you fitted your rear arches on compleatly different from the way i did it
ps. i was looking at a sport last tuesday that the lad had fitted a mini supercharger to, said it went well!

Last edited by StickyMicky; 07 September 2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07 September 2008, 07:23 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
holy crap you fitted your rear arches on compleatly different from the way i did it
really mate? All came good in the end, i think?
Old 07 September 2008, 08:00 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

looks good mate .

Quick Reply: 2.Project WRZ 2.0 GL > wide arch 22b look with wrx transplant