Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

my winter reshell help??

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2007, 04:15 PM
toofast10
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my winter reshell help??

hi hope someone can help i have just bought a cat c impreza rreg uk(£91.25) car it was stolen recovered and heavily stripped .i have the shell dash ,clocks ,ecu most wiring and most of the interior trim .i have been offered an mreg wrx sti which is a breaker only and has all the bits to sort the other ,my question is will everything be compatible ive noticed the m reg doesnt have abs ?? and the r reg did also have been told the engine and boxs is different ??
also trying to work out the rought spec of the m reg i know it has a full stainless with decat pipe also has a k&n cone filter is there any thing thats obvious ?? also how do you know what type of injectors are on
what should be my next mods would like around 300-400 bhp will change the shocks to something aftermarket etc but just not sure about the engine,diff and boxs as the complete project with both cars only owe me less than a £1000 thought i would spend some more on it .
it sorry for all the questions many thanks
Old 13 October 2007, 11:46 PM
perky555
Scooby Regular

If i was you i'd put the 2 cars side by side and transfer everything off the wrx on to the uk shell. That way everything is wrx spec and youve just got a uk shell.
Old 14 October 2007, 12:16 AM
toofast10
Scooby Newbie

hi hopefuly it will go well just looking at what i could tweek before fitting and have to remove again can some one tell me what you basically need for 300-400 bhp it has a decat stainless and k&n cone but not sure if its bolt on bits and live mapping do i need an after market ecu etc was going to fit a fmic any way as they look better ???? many thanks also the injectors on the engine have a grey top are these standard or do you tell by other means many thanks
Old 14 October 2007, 02:31 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

300 brake is acheivable on a WRX with a full decat with an open neck downpipe, uprated Walbro fuel pump, Filter and a remap. You can go the Scooby ECU route, which is the cheapest way of remapping the ecu, or better still a replacement ECU like an APexi Power FC. A Power FC fitted and mapped with cost around 800 quid

To get to 400, you will need to change the the injectors because the standard Greys are 380cc and not up to it. You may get away with a set of 440's if you're lucky, but 550's are more likely required along with an adjustable fuel pressure reg. You will also need to change the turbo for something bigger and probably fit a front mount intercooler...plus another remap. At 400 your clutch will have cried enough and your gearbox will be on borrowed time.

As for swapping the bits over as Perky says, put the cars side by side and swap the parts you need over, there are very few differences between the model years and everything should fit.
Old 14 October 2007, 02:40 PM
toofast10
Scooby Newbie

hi thanks for the help what would be the best clutch /gearbox bits to go for as 400bhp sounds good to me but as with everything once you are there its not egnought !! so would like to uprate them before i fit and then have to strip down and refit would you also recommend doing away with the abs system as the controlle is missing and theres none on the m reg sti manythanks
Old 16 October 2007, 12:09 AM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Ditching the ABS shouldn't proove too much of an issue other than on the insurance side

Clutch wise to about 400 brake you'll get away with with an uprated Exedy/AP Organic...just...beyond that and you're looking at twin plates or aggressive paddle clutches

As for gearboxes, some late STi 5 speeds seem to make it but it's risky, a 6 speed from a new age car would eat with ease (that's going to cost around 1500 quid at least) or you're looking at a built 5 speed with an uprated gear kit (2500 quid at least) Some people seem to be lucky with stock boxes, but take it near the drag strip or track and be prepared for 3rd gear to spit teeth