Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Project Version 1

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2007, 08:48 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Version 1

Hi all been meaning to get this up for a while now but just havn`t had the time.

Car is an MY94 sti, one of the limited number run version 1 sti`s, number 59/200.

The car is currently sitting in my garden with engine stripped out due to a head gasket faluire that happened late last year, To date there is nothing really to report other than iv had both heads pressure tested, all is ok there, the block is currenlty being stripped and checked so we no exactly what we have to work with, all engine work i cant do by myself is being done by coltech racing engines in grundsburgh just outside ipswich.

Im not really sure of my aims bhp/tourque wise at the mo but will decide on these when we no full condition of block etc.

Ill keep you all informed on progress and from time to time may need to pick some knowledge from you lol as im not a mechanic by trade or anything im actually an electrician, right i suppose here goes all my money and spare time for the next god knows how long lol.

A few pics as the car stands at the mo, hope you all enjoy watching my progress.

The car as it stands at the mo, im taking all graphics off.

The engine being lifted out, boring i no lol.

Engine bay shot, Notice the splitter on the downpipe flange, this is a waste gate dump/screamer pipe mod i cam up with a while ago, you can read about it here
https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...egate+splitter

Wish me luck lol

Worbs
Old 21 February 2007, 09:31 PM
Scooby Wagon
Scooby Regular

Good luck mate, looking forward to the updates
Old 22 February 2007, 06:40 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate

Forgot to mention what mods the car has already, my last RR figure was 330.9bhp and 306ftlbs torque, mods so far are as follows

Full HKS hyper flow exuast system from turbo back inc downpipe and decated centre to hyper muffler back box.
Apexi super power flow induction kit.
Apexi safc 2
Apexi avcr
Autobahn fmic (not yet fitted)
Wastegate mod + screamer pipe
Home made CO2 intercooler spray
HKS FCD
Tdo5 18g
Old 25 February 2007, 02:33 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Default Stage 1 The engine.

Ok after thinking about what i want to achieve from the car i have come up with a plan, i want the car, power wise to be as close to, if not above the 500/500 mark, i also want to sort the handeling, but that is to be thought about at a later date, I want the car to be a very handy track weapon.

First things first my engine and heads are good to go,

Iv got a fully closed deck block in brilliant condition sitting there ready and waiting, i now need to decide on the spec of the engine.

I want to think firstly about building the engine strong enough to cope with the 500/500 target i have set my heart on, so at present looking into differnt possibilities block/head wise and piston rod set ups etc.

Sorry no pics, will get some up next weekend hopfully.
Old 25 February 2007, 02:44 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

I am a sparky too worbs!
Old 25 February 2007, 06:44 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Was board this afternoon so started fitting the fmic.

A couple pics.

Old 25 February 2007, 06:45 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by samcowrx
I am a sparky too worbs!

Nice one mate, what sort work you do ?
Old 26 February 2007, 10:45 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

hopefully illl be fitting a front mount to mine soon are you gonna use the std clips or upgrade to mikalor ones got a group buy going in front mounts for clamps £30.50 for all 12 deliverd if interested
KIP
Old 27 February 2007, 04:14 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KIPS
hopefully illl be fitting a front mount to mine soon are you gonna use the std clips or upgrade to mikalor ones got a group buy going in front mounts for clamps £30.50 for all 12 deliverd if interested
KIP
Hi mate, thanks for the offer but im sorted with clips, managed to get hold of some, the std clips didn`t look to great so got some mikalor type ones from someone who owe me a favour lol. Now about to go out and chop up the front bumper to fit.
Old 27 February 2007, 05:03 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

Originally Posted by worbs
Hi mate, thanks for the offer but im sorted with clips, managed to get hold of some, the std clips didn`t look to great so got some mikalor type ones from someone who owe me a favour lol. Now about to go out and chop up the front bumper to fit.
Good luck with the bumper thats the bit im not looking forwrd to look forward to seein the photos
kip
Old 28 February 2007, 04:11 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Finished cutting the bumper up last night an all looks good, fit snuggly over the intercooler, a little bit more cutting of the car is needed for pipe runs but that will be done later, a few pic`s. bumper is not fixed just offerd up for photographic purposes lol. just in case it look on the wonk lol.

The fog lights will be romoved when pipe work goes in and the number plate will sit over the passenger side fog hole, the other side is going to have a fog cover with a cold air feed trumpet to the air filter.

Last edited by worbs; 28 February 2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: 1
Old 28 February 2007, 04:33 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

WOW Thats some drastic cutting of the front bumper wasn't thinking of cutting that much out are you gonna put some sort of gaurd over to try and protect it from flying objects
KIP
Old 12 April 2007, 05:00 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Right folks time for a long waited update i think lol,

I have the engine sorted at last, well iv purchassed a new one with a very good spec, as follows.....

2.0 block relinered to 2.2 by SMG
Lateral Wiseco custom pistons with uprated pins
ZEN H-Beam forged rods
ACL duraglide bearings
New EJ20 crank
Cosmetic Head Gaskets
ARP 12mm head studs
Fully Ported V4 heads including clave throats and inlet guides
All valve seats recut with 3 angle seats etc
Standard UK camshafts
Shimmed Oil pump rebuilt and inspected
6>6.5 bar on cruise
4.5 bar oil pressure at idle with Millers 10w60

Need to get some parralell rails and an fpr then will be ready to drop in and run, As im now totally skint for a while after buying the engine i am going to use the car with the tdo518g iv got and 440 injectors with an apexi safc and an avcr, it will be run at rock bottem boost with more than adequate fuelling supplied by the new parrelell rail fpr and walbro pump set up, so all is safe and in no danger of damaging anything, untill such a time as when can afford the gt35r the managment and beef up the injectors/fuel supply, i have a reversed inlet manifold and pipe work with the modifed alternator bracket, suppose after the turbo/managment/fuel upgrade it will be inevitable ill need to look at a uprated box, diff`s etc, does it ever end ??? probably not!, but hey its fun, isnt it ?

A few pics of the lump before i hoof it out of the car, plus excuse the ol volvo lol its my 200000 mile on the clock parts runner

Iv also in my boredom moved the tmic spray to the front bumper to spray onto the FMIC!! Why ? i dont no lol.

Last edited by worbs; 12 April 2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12 April 2007, 11:38 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

let me know when you come to sell the tdo518g