Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Project "Armchair Racer" :D

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2006, 08:30 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project "Armchair Racer" :D

Well this little project has only taken me around 10 days in total, most of that was waiting for the bloody parts to arrive, but it all came together 2 days back, so here we go

step1
take one knackered old office chair, this was given to me by my dad who "acquired it" about 10 years ago, it came in nice brown tweed covering the old 306 cabriolets used to come with a vinyl covering over the roof while in transit and this stuff was the best "fake" leather i had ever seen, i had a massive amount (i got to keep all the old covers when the cars were PDI`d) so i recovered the seat.

But that's not bling enough, so we will start by ripping off the armrests, one was a little knackered anyway

step2
Easy peasy, simply whip off the base and back rest, these just screwed on

step3
Transport to work so the operation can commence

step4

It was discovered that the base of the armrests had some nifty little bits that i could use to hold the front of the seat down, these were hacked off with a big hacksaw

step5

I Knew i needed some flat metal bar to help make a sub frame, and cunningly i worked out that there was some inside the old arm rests, which was covered in some thick rubber style foam stuff (technical term!!) i tried to cut it off, it was hard work

step6

I figured that me messing about with a Stanley blade was only going to lead to some missing fingers, so the best plan of attack was FIRE!!!! Got some of asdas finest 95ron with a little 2 stroke mixed in (stolen from the minimoto) and started to burn the black crap off i did not get a pic the first time as i used a little to much and we had to put it out ASAP, small controlled fires are better for this kind of work IMO, bit to close to the fence and stuff, but i had a "boy" on stand by with a fire extinguisher remember to ask an adult if you can play with matches.......

step7

While the boy supervised the inferno around the corner, i had another look at the seat base and discovered that the backrest support would unbolt from the base, saving me from cutting it off, so i whipped that off.

step8

Back to the fires of doom to find its nearly finished

step9

Chucked it in the prewash bucket to cool it down, quick clean up and we now have some free flat bar (tight northerner )

step10

As soon as i finished this previous step a big van arrived within 5 mins and dropped of my new seat

step11

Unwrapped

step12

Seat into the office to have a think about a sub frame, the old armrest bases and bolted down onto the runners and the "mount doom flat bar" is placed along the rear end, this is actually going far to easy TBH

step13

Quick welding session to weld the armrest supports in place and added the flat bar to the rear with some sketchy triangle sections welded in place, waited until it cooled a little then covered it in black paint for the "factory" look

step14

Bolt seat to new seat base and wheel outside to inspect

step15

Find lightest member of staff and ask him to "test" the seat otherwise he cant have his dinner use the pawns before the king and all that malarkey

Finished

Last edited by StickyMicky; 29 June 2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 29 June 2006, 08:38 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

not sure why photobucket has resized some of the pics like that, they are all the same size
Old 30 June 2006, 12:15 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

10/10 for effort but nobody told me welding was gonna be needed.

That counts me out
Old 30 June 2006, 01:05 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

class

john
Old 30 June 2006, 11:10 AM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Superb write up.

Particularly like the "inferno"
Old 30 June 2006, 12:44 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Fantastic write up. Looks fairly easy. Perhaps I could put my racerig cobra bucket to good use after all
Old 30 June 2006, 04:30 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Needs a full harness now
Old 01 July 2006, 12:44 AM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Ooh, I just noticed, in the first pic, are they full cans of the amber nectar, or empties??
Old 01 July 2006, 03:32 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

LMAO

was wondering when somebody would notice them

i will be honest, for some reason since i got my own pad, i have been hammering the amber nectar nearly every night, i think its a show of freedom, in that i have not got parents winging on at me all the time, the G/F still thinks i have a drink problem

i spent 3 years slogging my guts out building bloody jap cars and lived like some kind of armed forces robot, now i get cained every night and lead a slightly more mellow life, i am sipping another right now (left work at around 2pm )
Old 05 July 2006, 11:29 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool chair!

I have been thinking about doing this myself recently, although I have no welding experience at all so not sure if I will be able to do it.
Old 05 July 2006, 08:06 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
LMAO

was wondering when somebody would notice them

i will be honest, for some reason since i got my own pad, i have been hammering the amber nectar nearly every night, i think its a show of freedom, in that i have not got parents winging on at me all the time, the G/F still thinks i have a drink problem

i spent 3 years slogging my guts out building bloody jap cars and lived like some kind of armed forces robot, now i get cained every night and lead a slightly more mellow life, i am sipping another right now (left work at around 2pm )
Me too. Time honoured tradition after a hard days work