Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Project Twin Scroll 2003 WRX STi

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2006, 02:48 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Project Twin Scroll 2003 WRX STi

I was not going to do any mods to my car in the near future but Harvey put a post up on Scoobynet wanting a guinea pig for his new age intercooler. I had previously enquired with Harvey about porting my headers and upppipe but due to it being a twin scroll he would not be able to offer an exchange service and so would need my car for a few days. So this was an ideal time to do the lot in one go so I handed my car over to Harvey for a full week.

During that week the following was done;

FMIC
CAIK
VTA BOV
Ported OEM Headers (for twin scroll)
Ported uppipe (for twin scroll)
full 3" exhaust fitted.
EGT probe fitted.

Front views of intercooler,

Full under bonnet pic,

Closer pic of CAIK,

Pic showing new smaller battery and tight fit of pipework,

Closer Pics to show VTA BOV,

Closer pic showing path of intercooler pipework from turbo,

When I collected the car I was very impressed with how neat and tidy it looked.

I then discussed with Harvey about some heat insulation and it was decided to bring my car back the week after as it needed an oil change anyway.

On my journey home travelling at a steady 70mph and approx 3,500rpm my inlet temp into the throttle body was roughly 4 degrees above ambient.

The week after doing the same with the insulation work resulted in 2 degrees below ambient and so a dramatic improvement. See pics below;

Turbo Blanket,

Simple mod of adding spacers to header tank,

Heat insulation work done on intercooler pipework feeding into throttle body,

I can’t comment on results yet in terms of drivability as I am waiting for the car to be mapped mid March so I will report back then. In the meantime I am running the car off boost and it runs no problems at all like this. Following mapping I will also look to attend a rolling road to get an idea of what it is putting out but I won't rush to do this as I am not a dyno queen.

If anyone is interested in having any of this work and prices you are best sending a PM or e-mail to Harvey Smith for more details.

p.s. I must thank Harvey Smith and Paul Stabler Tuning in their efforts so far as they have been very good

Damian.
Old 25 February 2006, 03:04 PM
scoodymac
Scooby Newbie

Hi mate your car looks very nice but there is one thing missing to match your polished pipes . i am a pro metal polisher and if you want to car to really standout i could polish your manifold for £100 all in including postage and it would be back with you within a week .
think about it
Old 25 February 2006, 04:03 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by scoodymac
Hi mate your car looks very nice but there is one thing missing to match your polished pipes . i am a pro metal polisher and if you want to car to really standout i could polish your manifold for £100 all in including postage and it would be back with you within a week .
think about it
I don't think it will gain me any bhp or performance so would not be interested in that. Pointless IMO trying to keep an engine bay clean, your just fighting a losing battle
Old 26 February 2006, 02:36 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Damian,

Thanks for your kind words. Considering that the installation includes a cold air kit I am sure it is an extremely cost effective performance mod for New Age cars and your own inlet temperature observations show how efficient the FMIC set up really is.
I look forward to your feedback when you have had the remap from Bob Rawle.

Regards,

Harvey.
Old 12 March 2006, 11:50 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I had the car mapped yesterday by Bob Rawle.

Nicely timed as well as today I would not be getting anywhere with the snow

A 3 port boost solenoid was fitted and this was felt especially needed in this case as it was a twin scroll with ported headers and up-pipe.

I am not really a big fan of big top speeds and I am more interested in acceleration so it was only driving home I got to try the lower gears. The difference it has made is quite significant. I took a passenger out who had been out in the car previously and he commented how much quicker it felt and how it physically pushed him back into the chair.

So the car is now mapped for the mods and a big thanks there to Bob Rawle on a top job.

Next is to have the car on the rolling road at TEG Sport which is in a few weeks time. I will post up the results then.
Old 07 September 2006, 03:26 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Did you get any figures at Teg sport Spen?

Thread revival alert!
Old 11 September 2006, 10:25 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

sure it was 357. Not sure of torque
Old 11 September 2006, 11:18 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Is that all? I've got 350bhp/347lbft on a winters day this year @ prosport, standard tmic, 3" sports cat milltek, k&n panel filter, tek 3 @ powerstation.
Old 11 September 2006, 11:37 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

It was 355bhp and 360ft lbs torque. It was not controlling the boost properly and so struggled to get a proper run,

Just had it at Well Lane yesterday and it did 329bhp and 300ft lbs of torque. Looking in the car the throttle body temps were around 45 degrees and so I don't think it achieved the boost it does on the road, with that figure I also believe it retarded the ignition. I did a road test tonight and on the road in fourth it hits 1.33bar peak and holds 1.25 bar. I then pulled in and got the throttle body temp up to the 40's and then drove it in fourth. It only made 1.17 bar.
Old 12 September 2006, 12:00 AM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
Is that all? I've got 350bhp/347lbft on a winters day this year @ prosport, standard tmic, 3" sports cat milltek, k&n panel filter, tek 3 @ powerstation.
Good figures Chris. Any future plans?
Old 12 September 2006, 12:45 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Loads! Getting more money is the first one though AST's/brakes first, then maybe more power late next year/year after. No rush, got 5 years to pay if off anyway!
Old 12 September 2006, 06:15 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
It was 355bhp and 360ft lbs torque. It was not controlling the boost properly and so struggled to get a proper run,

Just had it at Well Lane yesterday and it did 329bhp and 300ft lbs of torque. Looking in the car the throttle body temps were around 45 degrees and so I don't think it achieved the boost it does on the road, with that figure I also believe it retarded the ignition. I did a road test tonight and on the road in fourth it hits 1.33bar peak and holds 1.25 bar. I then pulled in and got the throttle body temp up to the 40's and then drove it in fourth. It only made 1.17 bar.
Sorry spen, for some reason I didn't see this reply!

I still would have thought you'd have got more with a fmic though!
Old 12 September 2006, 01:39 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
Sorry spen, for some reason I didn't see this reply!

I still would have thought you'd have got more with a fmic though!
The OEM TMIC is very efficient anyway. The FMIC does a much better job at keeping the temp down in warm weather I have found and was far better on a recent trackday.
Old 26 April 2007, 10:37 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Just had someone asking for dimensions of my battery So I thought I will put it on here and can come back to it when it needs replacing

Make is Trust and stamped up 0508081D10 Width 13.0cm Length 21.5cm Depth 18.5cm. IIRC, the battery was is rated at the same ampage as the Subaru OEM battery and this smaller battery is the same battery as used on the Nissan Pulsar/Sunny GTR I think

Cars running well, rolling roaded at Scoobyclinic the other month and got 354bhp and 378ft lbs of torque.

Power was lower than expected, but I forgot I had to put some normal unleaed in to get home months ago and the ecu must have corrected for this as I did an ECU reset with my PSi monitor (good piece of kit for doing that) and it pulls stronger now higher up the rev range.

I will get it rolling roaded again to see what power it is doing, but for now it's Croft on Sunday for a track day in the morning
Old 27 April 2007, 06:02 PM
Andygreer
Scooby Regular

plenty of torque and thats what matters