Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

vwrx - well it a subaru engine......

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2005, 05:00 PM
richbaker78
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vwrx - well it a subaru engine......

here my project - last time I was on here it was all talk so just to show you ive put my £ where my mouth is here it is:
Spec is
2002 EJ20T WRX Std except decat and intake
Full air suspension - front and back independent
POrsche 944S2 rear suspension and brakes
POrsche 928 s4 front brakes
narrowed chassis and front beam
porsche boxster 17 inch rims
VW 091 2ltr gearbox (modified final drive) eventually will be fitted with diff lock too
lots of other mods in fact not much will be std- it will also run LPG (hence 2nd filler)

Ive done pretty much all the work meself in my spare time too.
hope you like! im aiming to have on the road by spring.
Old 01 December 2005, 05:27 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very nice.. look forward to seeing the progress..

the engine seems very low in the chassis, with the headers hanging that low is there not a clearance issue?

Simon
Old 01 December 2005, 07:00 PM
richbaker78
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
very nice.. look forward to seeing the progress..

the engine seems very low in the chassis, with the headers hanging that low is there not a clearance issue?

Simon
cheers thansk for comments - but yes the engine does appear to sit low however thats because the van is on its parked setting with airbags fully deflated - it gains a minimum of 2 inches to drive and up to about 6/7 inches
so your kind of looking at worse case scenario really (and the photos make it look worse than it is)

The only clearance issue is potentially the sump but if this is the case then I will probably run a shallower sump with capacity redistributed elsewhere.
Old 01 December 2005, 09:37 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome dude!!!

How long has it taken to get to this stage?

Was the VW pretty solid before you started or did that need work first?
Old 01 December 2005, 10:33 PM
Scooby Regular

Great!
So good to see some Hot Rodding still goes on.
Keep at it, Graham
Old 01 December 2005, 10:40 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
Great!
So good to see some Hot Rodding still goes on.
Keep at it, Graham

http://www.uk-hotrods.co.uk/

There's more proper hot rodders around than you think.

Rich, some good work going on there. How do the regular veedubbers like it..?

Nige.
Old 02 December 2005, 12:25 AM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

Seen peeps put scoob engines in b4 i think, shud be awsum! keep us posted?
Old 02 December 2005, 07:24 AM
Scooby Regular

V8

I had a Ford Y type in 1972 with a chopped top (self done), a Capri V6/auto and a Jag S type rear end.
It featured in Custom Car magazine and was in the first Ally Pally show on the Magazine's stand.
It won best Street rod at Billing, Billing's first NSRA Rod Run.
Please go to the Project Thread on the Vauxall firenza, you will find pictures of it in the thread! (line 43)
I sold it and built a Model A (steel of course) with the best engine in the world, a Rover V8, Super Bell front end and Jag rear.
3'' Chop (naturally) etc.

Sold that and bought a 911 as I felt too old to drive a Street Rod as the 'movement' had gone to Rat Rod status and was for Young Guns.
I still have the 911, and now a very modified Sti V3.

I said in my note that I was pleased to see hot rodding was still happening, not that it was dead.
There are few good thing left in this country, and freedom to modify cars yourself is one of them, banned in many countries in EU.

Thanks for the site link, I will visit that many times in the future.
I feel very proud of the early years of Street Rodding in this country as I was very much a part of it, and was acually Member 12 I think it was of the NSRA (UK) which I joined on the muddy banks of Santa Pod one wet summer meeting.

Graham.

Last edited by 911; 02 December 2005 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02 December 2005, 08:51 AM
richbaker78
Scooby Regular

cheers guys great to see enthusiasm from non Veedubbers. IT seems to have been recieved well on the aircooled forums by the regular Veedubbers despite its 'watercooled issues' (they are a funny lot!) so all in im quite pleased - must have done something right!

Ive had the van since 99 - I drove it for 4 or so years but it was rotting away so I took it off the road for a bit of welding 2 years back - i finished all the bodywork/chassis work and fitted the front brakes etc and only had the rears and a sprayjob to go to completion. I took it for a test drive to the south of france and it performed well etc so I bought it back and put it in he garage to start the next stage - suppsed to be painting and a few minor tweaks - somehow I ended up doing more and more mods.

It previosuly had a 100bhp aircooled engine (not much in subaru terms but not a bad output for a mild aircooled engine) which I built myself but I started pricing up parts to build my own turbo kit and had a reality check - next day the engine I built was sold for 3 grand!!! and I bought a 30000 mile 02 wrx engine and anciliaries for half that??!! the best power for money mod Ive ever done!!

ive always hankered after an impreza adn will have one one day but would like to come along to a meet sometime - ill bring the bus if you think itll go down well?? Im always up for a bit of drag strip action? are there any RWYB sessions at the pod or similar?

Sorry to ramble- thanks again for the comments
Old 02 December 2005, 09:51 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

where are you from rich? I for one would love to see that beast there was one on ebay recently, I was very tempted to bid, but there was lots of paper work involved as it was in germany. sounded a very similar spec to yours, going down the porsche route for brakes etc. his was a flat bed rear.
Old 02 December 2005, 03:57 PM
richbaker78
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
where are you from rich? I for one would love to see that beast there was one on ebay recently, I was very tempted to bid, but there was lots of paper work involved as it was in germany. sounded a very similar spec to yours, going down the porsche route for brakes etc. his was a flat bed rear.
im from nr Bath - J17 M4.
Do you have a link to the one from ebay? its always good to see how other people have solved the same problem.

Theres a link on the net which Ill find and put on here to a van running hte same but with mid mounted legacy quad cam engine and gearbox - apparetnyl posted a 0-60 of 6.2. Il dig out the link - its a MPEG video that I look at every time I loose enthusiasm!
Old 02 December 2005, 04:55 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
V8

I had a Ford Y type in 1972 with a chopped top (self done), a Capri V6/auto and a Jag S type rear end.
It featured in Custom Car magazine and was in the first Ally Pally show on the Magazine's stand.
It won best Street rod at Billing, Billing's first NSRA Rod Run.
Please go to the Project Thread on the Vauxall firenza, you will find pictures of it in the thread! (line 43)
I sold it and built a Model A (steel of course) with the best engine in the world, a Rover V8, Super Bell front end and Jag rear.
3'' Chop (naturally) etc.

Sold that and bought a 911 as I felt too old to drive a Street Rod as the 'movement' had gone to Rat Rod status and was for Young Guns.
I still have the 911, and now a very modified Sti V3.

I said in my note that I was pleased to see hot rodding was still happening, not that it was dead.
There are few good thing left in this country, and freedom to modify cars yourself is one of them, banned in many countries in EU.

Thanks for the site link, I will visit that many times in the future.
I feel very proud of the early years of Street Rodding in this country as I was very much a part of it, and was acually Member 12 I think it was of the NSRA (UK) which I joined on the muddy banks of Santa Pod one wet summer meeting.

Graham.
Graham,

Magic stuff mate. Thought you were under the impression that hot rodding was waning in the UK, which it most definitely isn't..!!

Sounds like you were one of the original guys in the UK scene, and I'm pleased to have made your acquaintance, though as still being a rodder myself, please allow me to take the mickey out of you selling your rod and getting a 911

If you have a sift around on the UKhotrods site, I'm Nige from Dover and you can see a pic of my old 32 roadster (rattish) and my latest ride, my 59 Chevy truck on there.

You may also like to take a wander over to www.nsra.org.uk and introduce yourself on the forums after having a nosey about that site. That's three rodders I've found on scoobynet now..!! I'm seeing a link....

As for the freedome to modify cars yourself, it's got big clouds looming and we all need to stick together and fight our corner. A lot of work has been done by the NSRA & Mr Rooney on our behalfs. Much of which can be accessed via the nsra site.

Pleased to meet you Graham
Old 02 December 2005, 09:53 PM
Scooby Regular

V8: Thanks.
I have just spent 2 hours on the UK hor rod site, and the nostalgia is almost too much.
I and several others used to meet at John 'Spatts' Wilkinson's factory when he was building the Model B Sedan. I built my Y Type at the same time.
Spooky to see it in this month's Custom Car.

Such good memories of the early days, I've even got the first edition of Street Gasser here somewhere and all the Street Rodder mags from Issue 1...so sad!

The black clouds coming from DVLA and all the other spooks in Government aimed at the free motorist and car builder is alarming.

Have I seen the best years?
This is why I compete in my Sti V3, get the good times before we are all put in little boxes and told to sit still.

When the site is up and running I will post on the UK-Hotrods site and bore you all!
Hurts to show this, sold the A for the 911!

Graham.
Old 16 December 2005, 07:56 PM
doppelganger
Scooby Regular

Location: 11.23@127mph second drag vw beetle with a stock subaru legacy engine and a 50 shot of gas

Originally Posted by richbaker78
Im always up for a bit of drag strip action? are there any RWYB sessions at the pod or similar?

Sorry to ramble- thanks again for the comments
you could always join the vwdrc,and enter AE(alternative engine) class i have 3 scooby engined vw`s 2 t25`s and a beetle with 2lt legacy turbo bottem end and wrx heads and nitrous oxide .we even have 2 prodrive rally team engineers in our class.you could even just join us at rwyb and go up against a mate who has a bay panel van with scooby 2ltr turbo engine he has a roll cage in it tagged to 10secs.just pm me if you wanna know more.

ps .we also do the japshows
Old 18 December 2005, 12:27 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

what ecu are you using, as I think the 02 has a different timing pattern to the earlier engines..
Old 18 December 2005, 12:16 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Very cool!

Why have you gone for 944 rear brakes and 928 front brakes? Better set up or just what you could get hold of?
Old 18 December 2005, 09:20 PM
Reckless
Scooby Regular

Default u mad ******* !!!!

here my project - last time I was on here it was all talk so just to show you ive put my £ where my mouth is here it is:
Spec is
2002 EJ20T WRX Std except decat and intake
Full air suspension - front and back independent
POrsche 944S2 rear suspension and brakes
POrsche 928 s4 front brakes
narrowed chassis and front beam
porsche boxster 17 inch rims
VW 091 2ltr gearbox (modified final drive) eventually will be fitted with diff lock too
lots of other mods in fact not much will be std- it will also run LPG (hence 2nd filler)

Ive done pretty much all the work meself in my spare time too.
hope you like! im aiming to have on the road by spring.
u mad ******* !!! (which is a good thing) i cant wait to see this finished i think they look cool any way but with a good bit poke in it and the porker wheels it will be immense !!!!! i like the old retro vee dub look with modern porker or vw bits put on !!! used to have a golf vr6 highline modded to bits with porker gear fitted so ur time and effort really well appreciated ! dont laugh if my spelling is wrong i have a really bad head cold !
Old 19 December 2005, 12:35 PM
richbaker78
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Very cool!

Why have you gone for 944 rear brakes and 928 front brakes? Better set up or just what you could get hold of?
it was all 944 s2 then a mate of mine swapped me the 928 ones - see below and you will see why I upgraded
original van caliper on right - 944 middle, 928 left.
also a few more piccies for interest - its all triall fitted at mo so awaiting final strip down and build uip in nicely shiny painted form

thanks for the comments reckless - i cant imagine how fast it is goan go - it had 100bhp before and that used to eat silly boyed up hatches. A similar engined van in Oz posted 0-60 of 6.2 in fact ill dig the link out cos its awesome - little video of it leaving tracks down the road.

ECU - will be standard ECU - only engine mods for time being are induction and exhaust (decat) when its all finished Ill ahv3e time and money to tinker and play with goodies. Top of list tho as a project is to build a gearbox using the VW syncro 4wd diff - so then I have a stronger diff and switchable diff lock for pulling wheelies

Im really pleased with how this has been recieved on here - cheers guys - im stoked to finish it - I wish I didnt have to work.
Old 19 December 2005, 12:43 PM
richbaker78
Scooby Regular

this is what im hoping to achieve (but better!!)they are my inspriations
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/v....php?tid=44150
scroll down a bit and theres a link to a MPEG called standing start - check out howe the front is bouncing adn thats with the engine mid mounted.

This is a van of comparable HP giving it beans fully kitted out with camping gear - its running a porsche 911 engine with nitrous tho!!
Old 19 December 2005, 02:51 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

and drag tyres at a guess

Hate the bread bins normally but this one is cool

Keep up the good work.

David
Old 19 December 2005, 05:24 PM
Scooby Regular

Having a foot in both camps (own an early 911 and an Impreza) I would have thought the 911 engine was the simplest transplant; no water, bullet proof gearbox and the rear section would lend itself to the Bus' mono body better?
However, great hot rod thread and nice to see something different on here.
Graham
Old 19 December 2005, 06:26 PM
doppelganger
Scooby Regular

Location: 11.23@127mph second drag vw beetle with a stock subaru legacy engine and a 50 shot of gas

this is what im hoping to achieve (but better!!)they are my inspriations
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/v....php?tid=44150
scroll down a bit and theres a link to a MPEG called standing start - check out howe the front is bouncing adn thats with the engine mid mounted.

This is a van of comparable HP giving it beans fully kitted out with camping gear - its running a porsche 911 engine with nitrous tho!!
http://www.tsrdragracers.co.uk/media...ie~big~pic.jpg
i`ll pm you later .tsrdragracers is my site.if you think they are mental ,wait til next year wayne allman is building a 2500hp splitty .no there arent to many zero`s.bubba has had to slow his westy down .the vid for the wheelie is posted on general http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=477847

Last edited by doppelganger; 19 December 2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 20 December 2005, 09:34 AM
richbaker78
Scooby Regular

911 - the reason I opted for scoob power was value for £ - alhtough as you say theres less plumbing for the £1.5k the 02 scoob engine cost me i felt i would have struggled to find a comparable porsche engine and box. ie 30000 miler, modern injection (not kjet) basically the subaru engine was more attractive in terms of modernity - im not dissing the 911 engine - its a great piece of enigneering just wasnt entirely fitting with my bus and I would have paid more for older technology - the brief is power and reliability - I felt the newest lowest milage engine would provide this - I saw a 993 engine for £8k - so that scared me off - plus scoob parts are in general cheaper and more available in scrappies. Hope i havent opened a can of worms here - just trying to explain my choices!!

doppelganger / andy? - your doing my loom (chqs in the post BTW) but im interested to hear of waynes most recent project - his beetle was awesome - I take it hes not sticking with aircooled then!!!!!!!!!

cheers for all the comments.
Old 20 December 2005, 12:59 PM
Scooby Regular

'78'
No need at all to justify your choice to me, it's your car!
The price of modern 911 engines has rocketed. I bought my 3.2 with brain and box for £1700 10 years ago, 42 K miler. That is now £3K + (and 80K miles)today. Crazy.

Great project, keep at it.

Graham.
Old 20 December 2005, 06:35 PM
doppelganger
Scooby Regular

doppelganger / andy? - your doing my loom (chqs in the post BTW) but im interested to hear of waynes most recent project - his beetle was awesome - I take it hes not sticking with aircooled then!!!!!!!!!

cheers for all the comments.
doppelganger = ian
i`ll tell him tommorrow the cheque is in the post(he prob aint heard that before)is yours the wrx loom with immobiliser and key??

wayne has asked me not to post anymore pics yet ,basically its a big block v8 with blower =2500bhp tagged at the moment to 8.5sec but should run 7.5.the wing is 7foot 6 inches tall
selling phunky phantom has paved the way for this beast.i have a synchro diff etc if you are interested .i have one in my race car but its permanantly locked.

p.s just spoke to andy and your loom is cut and ready.ring him

Last edited by doppelganger; 20 December 2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 21 December 2005, 09:20 AM
richbaker78
Scooby Regular

apologies for mistaken identity!
will try to call Andy today - it is the WRX loom with immob and initially the wrong key!!
Ive heard about these syncro diffs fitting in the 091 (2ltr) casing and that you can keep them as original ie switchable?? true? if so its gona be a bench project for me once the bus is finished as I already have a cog box 2ltr box with improved top gear (drops revs by about 900rpm in 4th) which will do for the moment. I know its not as strong but Ive got to prioritise £ at this stage or andy will be upset if the chq bounces.

What sort of £ do syncro diffs go for? are they an easy fit?ie no amchining etc or is it more involved I will prob wait til the hwole thing is up and running b4 I upgrade as its not really gona be a drag racer (except the occasional foray!)- more a motorway muncher. I the mean time any info is good.
Old 09 January 2006, 10:12 AM
richbaker78
Scooby Regular

more pics here if anyones interested.......
theres been progress since but I havent photographed anything yet cos its not very interesting!
http://www.rjes.com/html/ej20_turbo_bay_window.html

getting my stripped down wiring loom soon back from TSR who I entrusted the thankless task of removing the wires i dont need - then Im jsut a bit of plumbing away from firing it up (he says optimistically!!!)
Old 09 January 2006, 11:39 AM
doppelganger
Scooby Regular

more pics here if anyones interested.......
theres been progress since but I havent photographed anything yet cos its not very interesting!
http://www.rjes.com/html/ej20_turbo_bay_window.html

getting my stripped down wiring loom soon back from TSR who I entrusted the thankless task of removing the wires i dont need - then Im jsut a bit of plumbing away from firing it up (he says optimistically!!!)
well i know your loom works with key etc,cos i tried it on a mates wrx beetle that is down at tsr.

here is one of my 3 scooby conversions http://www.rjes.com/html/ej22_powered_caravelle_0.html
and another of mine when the pics work
http://www.rjes.com/html/ej20t_beetle_0.html

careful its addictive
Old 09 January 2006, 12:47 PM
Scooby Regular

Wish i had a G50 in my 1973 911!
Great project.
Graham
Old 09 January 2006, 05:15 PM
richbaker78
Scooby Regular

doppelganger - cheers for trying it out!!! slightly apprehensive about that bit to be honest as wiring is not one of my strong points - ive been told its easy tho! any tips? im hoping it will all be nicely labelled in a fool proof sort of way!!

Quick Reply: vwrx - well it a subaru engine......