Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

engine transplant

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2005, 07:29 PM
k_duraman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up engine transplant

i am planning to fit an sti engine in to my 1600cc my01 impreza.as you know the 1.6lt is normally a non turbo model but, here in greece as they import the cars they immediatly slap turbo chargers on them with some upgrades to the engine. so we have 150bhp and 180bhp versions aswell. crazy ei? but on the other hand my car (150bhp) came with 14in wheels, drums in the back, no spoiler, so on... now that i have sorted the wheels, spoiler, brakes and suspention, i want the real stuff, i just need to be sure what i am doing. so can anyone tell me what else i will need to upgrade like exhaust, fuel pump, diffs. when you buy an engine am i automaticly supposed to expect it to come with gearbox, turbo and intercooler? i know it sounds stupid but i am considering buying a light damaged or stolen recovered sti from germany or austria, as a brand new sti costs 55000 euros here ( thats about 33000 pounds to you) and i remember an import my04 going for about 7-8 grand on this site with all the bips and bops. there is also the pleasure of getting your hands dirty on building your pride and joy

so if anyone can help i would be most gratefull
matt
Old 05 April 2005, 09:04 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy an engine you will just get an engine!

I supose the transplant is doable but it will be a lot of work and there will probably be quite a few unforseen pitfalls

If you get an engine you will need the turbo, intercooler to go with it and make sure it has the inlet manifold with the fuel rails and injectors.

The Exhaust front pipe (downpipe) will not fit from the 1.6, not sure about the rest of the system.

I don't know what gearbox and diffs you have, I doubt they fit the same box to the 1.6 as they do the turbo. So it probably won't last long after the transplant

You will probably have to change the wiring loom to the engine and the ECU and MAF sensor. The fuel pump will not be rated to the flow you'll need so that's another part needed. Plus loads of bits I can't think of now.

I think the Radiators might be different too!
Old 09 April 2005, 03:55 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Your exhaust must have been changed to accomodate the turbo Subaru Greece 'slapped on'. I'd guess they (the dealer..?) would use standard Subaru parts where possible so you may well have a 2.0 WRX exhaust on there I'd guess. I'd find a friendly mechanic that is used to doing the 1.6 to 1.6 turbo swap and see what they think of your conversion idea.

I'd be very interested to know exactly what they change to turbo the 1.6 (i.e. what you have now). Is my idea about the exhaust correct, which turbo and IC do they use, do they piggyback chip or replace the ECU, etc. As you might have guessed, I have a 1.6 non turbo

Do you know what the difference between the 150 and 180bhp cars are? Seen as you are thinking of spending some fairly major money, I'd consider tuning the 1.6 if you definately want to keep the same car and would be happy with say ~200bhp. Changing the wiring loom will probably be a nightmare if you switch to an STi engine. Remembering you have a lighter car, you should be able to get at least WRX pace I'd guess.

There have been lots of GC8 EJ18, 22 and 25 turbo charging done on www.nasioc.com - have a browse on there and maybe ask the same question in the conversions forum. Also have a look on www.imprezasport.net where NWS has just got his 2.0 non turbo converted to a WRX - after lots of hassle though mainly with the loom due to the cars being different years and the wrx being a jap import.

Best of luck with it anyway. Please keep us updated, and I'd appreciate it if you could tell me any more about the adding of a turbo to the 1.6 - what they use, reliability, and so on.

Old 13 April 2005, 07:25 PM
k_duraman
Scooby Regular

Wink

thanks for the replies guys. as for the 1.6 turbo convertion, i will take some pics of mine and post them as soon as i can. basicly there is only one dealer in greece that does the convertion, and thats the main dealer subaru hellas itself, under subaru japan supervision.so the cars are very official, and come with three years warantee. i will also try to dig up some prospectuses and post them.

on my car the exhaust from the wrx doesnt fit. even the back box needs some mods to fit. what happens is the car is 93bhp as standard and can handle up to 150. so they fit a turbo with a front mounted intercooler and an induction kit with a cheep damp valve and there you go ( which means no scoop ). now the ecu looks like an extra ( i mean fitted with the turbo kit) but i am not sure as i don't know what the non-turbo 1.6 engine bay looks like, but will definatly find out as well as the type of turbo and the exhaust manifold they use. the 180 bhp is more complex as they put a higher spec fuel pump, uprated pistons and gaskets. i think they have the same turbo but runs at higher psi as mine runs at around 5-6psi
i will go there this weekend to fit my turbo timer, and i'll get all the info and get back to you
regards matt.
Old 21 April 2005, 12:20 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for the info, I'll look forward to the pics.

Like I said, www.nasioc.com is the place to get advice for your swap. Quite a few of them have put WRX and STi engines into their originally normally aspirated cars (though mostly into classic shape cars as classic turbos were not available in the US).

Keep us updated
Old 21 April 2005, 06:27 PM
k_duraman
Scooby Regular

hi again,
now, i have done some research. i got the info on the 180 bhp version as i thought you would be interested in that one more.

turbo: IHI VA58
petrol pump: just take it off a wrx.
inter cooler: they use a no name one from italy, but u can upgrade it with a FORGE unit they said. don't forget it is a front mounted unit
e.c.u.: you will have to get it from here, it costs about 800 pounds. i can ship it for you

i forgot to ask about the exhaust, as i forgot many other things. how do you post pics
here? if you can give me your e-mail i can send you the photos. i've taken a pic of my engine bay. the 180 bhp looks just the same, only i have a garrett turbo.
Old 21 April 2005, 08:20 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

dealer fitted front mount intercoolers
Old 22 April 2005, 12:20 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

That's useful info, thanks

I think I'll try to get my current ECU piggybacked with a Unichip or similar proabably; £800 sounds a lot! My turboing dream is at least a year away unfortunately, I'm still a student so funds are too tight for any significant mods for the time being. Even so I was totting up what a simple turbo kit might cost me; I reckon £300 for an Ebay GC8 FMIC kit, £100 for a nearly new TD04 turbo, £400(?) to have up-pipe and sports-catted downpipe custom made to link to current cat-back stainless system, £400(?) for Unichip and mapping, then say £200 for fuel pump and air intake bits from a uk turbo. What am I missing from my list to make 150ish bhp which would do for the time being?

Sorry I'm totally hijacking your thread! How are your swap plans coming along? I suspect buying a written off STi and using the bits you want then breaking and selling the rest would be the way to go.

I will PM you my email address so I will host the pics for you if you like. But to answer your question, to put up pics you need to upload them to some webspace. There are various photo hosting services for the purpose, but I just FTP my pics to my own webspace which my ISP gives me for free with my internet connection. Then on here you put the photo's address within picture tags, like this [.IMG.]http://www.com/pic.jpg[./IMG.] (but without the dots in the img tags).

Hope that makes sense - had a few beers

Cheers,

Ben
Old 27 April 2005, 11:13 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

take a look at www.imprezasport.net fella ive just converted my MY00sport 123bhp <std> into a jdm spec wrx if you do a serch and put in "so the story begins"

hope this can help
Old 03 May 2005, 09:00 PM
perky555
Scooby Regular

Try these boys in Ireland they seem to have allsorts of cheap damaged imports forsale
http://www.euroautosalvage.co.uk/contact.htm

you could have an Sti off them for around 6K