Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

300+bhp - No technical knowledge at all !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2003, 10:03 PM
Des
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi.

I have a MY00 (classic) and have recently had a hankering to bump up my available power (as you do). However as I have absolutely no under the hood knowledge whatsoever (know loads about them but nothing of them, if that makes sense), Ive always been put off making the changes myself (and the price to get someone else to fit the mods really puts me off).

Luckily, my next door neighbour is a mechanic, but as Im sure there are many other owners out in Scooby land who are also as crap at twiddling with cars as I am, I decided to make a project of the experience and document each step.

My first step in the process was to decide what I wanted to achieve. I decided that I wanted make 'safe' mods which shouldnt increase the possibilty of the car blowing up on me. With this in mind I targeted 300bhp and 300lb/ft of torque (which didnt seem to unreasonable from what Ive seen on the dyno runs on other parts of ScoobyNet). I also decided that I didnt want to alter the cars exhaust note much (I have a family) and I wanted to improve the overall drivability of the car (i.e. no peaky power delivery). Finally, I didnt want the hassle of adding and removing cats every year just before MOT, so I decided I wanted an exhaust with a sports cat.

After much lurking on the board I contacted one of the 'regulars' who was also pursuing the mods direction. In February 2003, I contacted John Banks (he of ECUTEK fame) and asked him to recommend a setup conducive to my requirements. Johns suggested setup is listed below (he also suggested setups for 350bhp and 400bhp - ouch!! expensive. If you want those just add a request to the thread):

Quote:

- TD05 front entry conversion about £650
- Full exhaust system with no cats or sports cats of your choice (any will do really) From second hand about £400 to over £1000 new for some!
- Boost gauge from £30 to hundreds
- Knocklink from www.brdevelopments.com see their site and Catalogue... Link products and scroll down for info About £140
- 3 port solenoid for boost control get a second hand one with some hose from Grade A subaru breakers about £35
- Fuel pump £140 from lateral performance
- Ecu remap £650 from me

End quote.

Due to a problem with my insurance company not wanting to accept mods (plus me having no luck with the insurance broker I tried to contact to help me), I decided to wait till May when my insurance was due for renewal (so bye bye RAC, hello Liverpool Victoria).

In short, I have now begun placing orders for the shopping list above. The items Ive selected are:

- TD05 front entry - ordered (Mark Aigin - Lateral Performance)
- Fuel pump - ordered (Mark once again)
- 3 port solenoid (ordering tomorrow from Grade A)
- 3 guage middle console including a boost guage (probably TSL - also tomorrow)
- Knocklink (still to order, tomorrow will be a busy day)
- TEK3 from John (once I get everything fitted).

Im still having trouble finding the exhaust system as the APS one I wanted isnt apparently 3" all the way through (info supplied to me by G-Force one of the designated APS UK suppliers). I have sent a mail requesting help, to the various scooby retailers on ScoobyNet (but Im still awaiting a reply), so hopefully I should get that sorted out soon (tomorrow would be nice).

For comparison, Im planning to record a couple of my 'schumi' moments (i.e. a few 0-60 runs etc) to allow for comparison once the mods have been made. That way anyone else considering doing this, can see what they are getting for the money.

Ill try to update this thread on a weekly basis with my progress. Thanks to Mark and John who have been quite helpful considering they must get asked these bloody modding questions every other day....

Also apologies to Saxo Boy, who I never got round to seeing after he offered to meet up so I could hear his exhaust system. I blame the arrival of my daughter...

Cheers

[Edited by Des - 20/06/2003 22:32:18]
Old 21 June 2003, 05:04 PM
Nick200
Scooby Regular

Sounds good so far m8.

I too am on that exact same road.

But my list is -

3" decat- got
VF28- got
walboro pump- got
fse 1.1- got
440-550 injectors- want
sti i/c- got
gems- want.

I should see around 320 bhp.

Good luck m8.
Old 26 June 2003, 06:35 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

I'm new on the road of power...

Got the back box, and have booked myself in at Scoobysport in August (saving up!) for full decat and will get a remap as soon after as I can afford.

I've been advised this should give me around 270 / 280 bhp but I want to push it to 300 (preferably without replacing the turbo for the bigger TD05, or an Sti unit).

Would be interested to see what John Bank's plans were for 350 and 400, cos I know what'll happen when I've had a 300hp car for a year...

Good luck, Des... keep us up to date!
Old 26 June 2003, 07:27 PM
Des
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi.

Thanks for the well wishes. As for Johns instructions for further bhp gains, Ive added the detail below:

If you want 350-370 BHP

add APS FMIC £900
APS induction £180
550 injectors £250
Uppipe £80
Ported OEM headers (2 hours labour)
use a 3 inch exhaust ideally
Be prepared to shell out for a replacement standard gearbox (£500 from breakers) or £2000 for an uprated kit + build and fitting if you break it which is likely eventually at this level
Your clutch may or may not survive
Your engine may blow up at this level, budget £4000 for a strengthened rebuild if this happens

For 400-500 BHP
Need engine rebuild, gearbox rebuild, all of the above and a bigger turbo. Silly £££££.

End quote.

- Ive received the TD05, fuel pump and gasket for the turbo.
- Also got the 3-port solenoid.
- The Knocklink is most likely arriving in mid-July.
- TSL have responded to my e-mail so I should get the boost guage and pod soon.

That just leaves the exhaust which Im still having fun finding. Spoke to Pete Croney at Scoobysport who was very helpful, but is not in the position to help me out with my specific requirements. As the Knocklink is only arriving in mid-July, I have some time to play with so I will wait to see what the situation with the 3" APS exhaust is. When I checked the suppliers website, they indicate that the system is 3" right through, but when I spoke to the sales person they told me this was not yet available in the UK. Ho hum.

Anyway Ill try and post some pictures of all the parts soon. Of all the parts thus far I was quite surprised at the weight and size of the turbo. Its quite a bit bigger than you would expect from just looking at the pictures.

Cheers
Old 26 June 2003, 07:36 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

Thanks Des... Sounds expensive to go that high! There's always a bank loan!

I'm getting my decat from Pete at Scoobysport. Nice bloke - he did my front pads and disks for me, their group n+ kit with braided hoses. They're noisey when cold but they make up for it when you need them! AWESOME with the standard calipers.

Don't forget the brakes when you're going for all this power! And stiffen up the suspension a bit (i'm getting the Eibach Prokit fitted next week) so it's all nicely balanced and not just a power monster!

Whatever- go get your 300!!
Old 26 June 2003, 11:06 PM
Des
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Ahhh yes brakes....

Definitely an area I would like to improve a bit. Dont know if I want to make the suspension much stiffer though. Any bumps would definitely wake up the baby then. Still, no doubt Ill find myself venturing down this road at some stage, once my pocket recovers from this little jaunt.

Let me know how you get on with the suspension mods. Ill be keen to hear what they do to the ride.

Cheers
Old 27 June 2003, 11:29 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

I'm going to TSL on 12th July to get their phase 4 chassis package (eibach's, drop links, front strut brace and geometry) I'll let you know what I think when it's all done...
Old 29 June 2003, 10:25 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

If you're still struggling for an exhaust try contacting LongLife ( here ). Know from prior experience that custom builds are their staple diet, and that the quality of their stuff is excellent.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 6/29/2003 10:27:21 PM]
Old 01 July 2003, 10:11 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

http://www.scoobyfanatic.co.uk
(click on "Mine" for my list as it stands
Im more than happy for suggestions/additions..
still not5 sure which turbo to go for...
Old 02 July 2003, 04:14 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

NOS guys - extra 100 bhp for about £950 - apparently if its used for "track use" only then no extra insurance either!
Old 06 July 2003, 01:05 AM
Des
Scooby Regular

Hi

Still havent managed to upload the pics I was planning to. Hope to do that soon.

Thanks (greasemonkey) for the Longlife link. Ill have a look...

Like the alloys on your car chrome... Ive wanted to replace mine with those for a while but keep getting interested in buying other 'more important' items. I mean really... why does the baby need nappies??? She never asks for them. Re the turbo choice issue, I was in a similar position and was looking at averything from the VF22 right through to the VF35. Kept getting confused about the differences between them as a lot of them seem to be almost exactly the same. Eventually, settled on the TD05 as it offered such a wide range of performance (up to over 400bhp), but it didnt add a massive lag issue into the equation.

'Track use'... you mean driving on the Edinburgh city bypass dont you... Its exactly like a track, people are always on the 'racing line' in an attempt to stop you overtaking...

Cheers
Old 15 July 2003, 10:28 PM
Des
Scooby Regular

Hi

Just an update of whats going on. Still sitting waiting for some parts but I hope to have sorted out the exhaust issue. Still waiting for the knocklink as well but that should be here soon...

Ill post the pictures of all the biys once they all arrived (saves me doing everything twice and having my other half hide.. er.. 'pack away' away my camera.

Getting really impatient now though as it feels like Ive been waiting for ever.

Cheers
Old 16 July 2003, 12:02 AM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

just to hijack your thread Des;

My FMIC arrives tomorrow
Already got my MD304 hybrid turbo
Fuel Pump/FPR still to get.. (LP)
IK still to get - (LP)
Sorted out who's doing the mapping.. just got to set a date..
Injectors- 550's on the way pending info
Gearbox - not yet hopefully
Brakes- later, the 4pots can cope so far.. 6pots is just extra backup "in case"
Old 17 July 2003, 06:25 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

m8, thats EXACTLY what i've been quoted from another tuner funnily enough, they've said give them £1700inc VAT and the car (apart from they didnt mention 3 port solenoid thing)
Old 18 July 2003, 11:04 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

UHF

We achieve 340 on the standard 2 port solenoid, so I didn't include this in the quote

Old 06 August 2003, 09:30 PM
Des
Scooby Regular

Hi

Just thought I would update the thread...

Exhaust is now ordered and due in the middle of next week. Knocklink still hasnt arrived but its seems there is some sort of supplier delay. Once all these items arrive, the pain and suffering begin as I attempt to figure out just what those shiny bits are under the bonnet.

Ho hum....
Old 06 August 2003, 09:32 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

One thing I learnt pretty quick was where the screenwash goes! All those bugs you meet in the country roads.

Keep us informed as to what you do, i'm setting aside some money now ready for next spring when i'll be visiting Mr Croney!
Old 24 October 2003, 05:07 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Des

What's the latest. I am researching upping the power of my MY00 to the 340 mark, pretty much the same way as you.

Tell me everything
Old 26 October 2003, 08:49 AM
chrome
Scooby Regular

as soon as my headers have arrived I might also be abe to help you out 7Foot.
Old 26 October 2003, 04:24 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I'm in a pretty similar situation myself... can't wait to get the car booked into Scoobysport for the garage work and remap. All I need are those injector adapters and a turbo. If I can't find a VF35, what's the closest alternative?
Old 26 October 2003, 04:44 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Chrome - keep me posted mate.

Does anyone know if Des actually posts or visits Scoobynet any more? I have't seen him post in quite a while and there is no email address in his profile.
Old 26 October 2003, 07:10 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Fatman- I went for MD304 hybrid.
Good spool up and great mid range. P20Spd's car is using one and seems to be a very good daily driver option.

you could also try the well regarded TDo5 Front conversion or TD06 although apprently there would be more low down lag..
I suggest as a starting point you ring Mark Aigin at Lateral Performance- 0208420 5444 (and/or join 22b.com and do some searching as there is a wealth of technical knowledge on there and some very esoteric setups on peoples cars..) and you should have the answers you need mate

7Foot-
Will do.
I have all the parts except the headers and injector adapters.
All the parts need fitting and a subsequent remap.
Time is tight lately, and without the two key parts I am no nearer to fitting it all (with some help from someone who knows what he is doing - ie: not me! )
Old 26 October 2003, 07:36 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Hi Chrome. Yes, I've spoken to Mark already. Supply of VF35s seems to be a problem, so I'll look for alternatives. Do you have any particular links to discussions around the MD304?
Old 26 October 2003, 08:24 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

fatman, using the search funtion I found these...

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=217030
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=115217 -interesting logs from JB using a 304
[url=http://
[url]http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=238348]
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=238348 -turbos in general
http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000157.html
oh just to clarify- my MD304 has a P20 housing , not P18 as per usual

Old 27 October 2003, 07:04 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the links Chrome, but it's sorted: I've ordered a new VF35 from the States (750 USD + shipping/taxes)
Old 27 October 2003, 07:53 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

my MD304 has a P20 housing , not P18 as per usual
That'll be the MD305 then?

Had one of them last year.

Alan
Old 28 October 2003, 12:28 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

it was a 304, then danny fisher (previous owner) had it modified.
Old 24 November 2003, 08:18 PM
Des
Scooby Regular

Hi

Sorry about the long long delay. I have all the bits but fitting them has fallen through. My neighbour has been looking after his grand-daughter as his grand-son has just arrived (damn kids... they are worse than drugs for ruining your life....)

Anyway, Im going to get the bits fitted and the mapping done by Scoobysport. Ill only be giving them a call next week as I have a few other things on plate at the moment, but Ill update the thread once I get a firm fitting date. Ill be sure to get some pictures and Ill detail the work done as well.

Cheers
Old 26 November 2003, 08:38 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good luck with it all and keep us posted.
Old 18 December 2003, 04:13 PM
Lisan Obelisk
Scooby Regular

**Edited due to commercial content** Please contact webmaster@scoobynet.co.uk for details of advertising Opportunities on Scoobynet.

[Edited by mutant_matt - 12/19/2003 8:28:50 AM]

Quick Reply: 300+bhp - No technical knowledge at all !!!!