Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

s1chris’s Bug WRX build/resto?

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2019, 12:13 PM
s1chris
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s1chris’s Bug WRX build/resto?

Hi all. Well here begins my Bug WRX journey. Cut a long story short, I’ve owned and worked on Ford RS Turbos on and off for the last 15yrs. I’ve just sold my last Fiesta RS resto project and also parted company with my Mk7 Golf R daily in favour of a more suitable diesel daily car.

So the time has come to purchase a 02c Bug wrx as a weekend / project car. I’ve always wanted a WR blue Bug since my fascination with WRC/Rally began years ago. So the aim of this car is just to best capture that Subaru rally magic for me. It will get used on the occasional track day but it’s primary use is to be a B road / country lane weapon.

So I picked up this 02c Bug last week. Prodrive headlights, STi scoop, fakey jakey STi rear spoiler, STi Brembo’s all round, STi Seats, Blitz Nurspec, Tein lowering springs, Whiteline rear ARB, front strut brace, pointless Forge dump valve, mapped to 280bhp. Drives ok, bit scabby but not a bad starting point.

Jobs done as soon as it got home -

1) Removed all STi stickers and badges.
2) Removed headunit (who needs music in a scooby?)
3) Removed pointless towing eye.
4) Cleaned the previous owners 1yr of dirt and animal smells out of it.
5) Remove broken front splitter.

Over the following few days I painted the rear spoiler and grill back to blue as I’m not into this contrasting colour malarkey. The mirrors and fog lamp covers will be done next.

Here’s a few before and after pick up pictures.
Next steps.. start poking around and figure out really where my starting point is.

Cheers Chris 👍