Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

MY98 Forester S turbo

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2016, 12:26 PM
The World Is Flat
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY98 Forester S turbo

Hey guys, I am new on here, I have an S-turbo and I have plans for it, however I dont have a lot of money as a student and my forester needs some fixing up.
So Im looking at parts all over, saving money and thus I have to do all the fixes and mods myself unless I really have too have a professional do it.

Lately I went to a Subaru dealer/workshop and they found that my engine leaks oil from a valvecover gasket, I have to change a wheel bearing or two, and I have to replace all the rubbers sleeves, the rubber protectors on both ends of the driveshaft both sides in the front.

Im glad I asked them for this check because I really went there to have them replace my Gear and diff oil and it would be a shame to have to replace the gear oil again in a couple months because all the front drive shafts need to come out lol.

So do anyone have any experience on taking out the drive shafts?
Also Ive been looking for a complete Valvecover gasket kit and I cannot find one for S-turbo/Forester GT, but I searched with my engine code and found a kit for a WRX EJ205.
Seller said his kit will fit all 205 engines withstock heads, so Id like to know if S-turbo heads are the same as the WRX I guess.

Ebay item
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190783005551...xe=exe,ext=ext

So yeah I have a couple things to do and surely more to come as I get closer the end of the year by which my Forester has to pass the inspection.
when things are fixed, Ill shine her up a bit and once I pass I will start modding her, aiming for 250-300HP and then Ill do brakes and suspension mods. she is my daily so I wont be racing her or killing corners before I get brakes and handling mods in place. Just more power and mad sound first to get around more swiftly and then Ill get around to lowering and tighten her up. Cant afford everything at once but yeah 1-2 years time and Ill think I will be there unless I hit some major setbacks.

Ill keep you posted as things come up and asking for help down the road.

The big issue now is finding the correct full Valvecover gasket kit for a reasonable price. and hear if taking out the drive shafts is a weekend job or not. and what is the best way to go about it. Swapping the gaskets seems pretty easy once you make room in the engine bay by moving around reservoir tanks, intake and other hoses. probably a days job on an S turbo, saw a guy swap them in 2 hours on an NA blob eye impreza on youtube. so I kind of got an idea how it'll go in my Forester.

Cheers.