Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Impreza n/a to turbo project help.

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2015, 08:50 PM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza n/a to turbo project help.

Hi folks I'm new here. I have 1999 impreza with ej16 engine not bad but its slow too slow I want to put turbo engine in my car so in the junkyard there's all kinds of legacy twin turbo engine ej20r or g I think but the main problem these engine has no ecu or harness at all but I heard I can run it with complete standalone ecu system is this possible? The engine is pretty cheap but as I mention there's no harness or ecu. If it will run with standalone system that will be great project I'm looking for 600hp with forged internals and rotated turbo. Pls dont tell me just buy sti. Thanks
Old 18 May 2015, 12:08 PM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

Bump..
Old 18 May 2015, 01:20 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Imprezagl
Bump..
My advice would be stay away from just the engine.

Buy whole car, ie legacy from brakers or the one that has been accident damaged etc, as u will need not just the ecu and harness but also fuel pump etc, also not a scooby guru but would you not need uprated brakes.

getting a donor would cause alot less a** ache
Old 18 May 2015, 01:33 PM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Filski
My advice would be stay away from just the engine.

Buy whole car, ie legacy from brakers or the one that has been accident damaged etc, as u will need not just the ecu and harness but also fuel pump etc, also not a scooby guru but would you not need uprated brakes.

getting a donor would cause alot less a** ache
Therse no complete legacy twin turbo there's only engines and transmission. Of cource I will upgrade my brakes but thats in the future. Now can I run this engine with standalone ecu and its universal harness? Or there should be the factory harness first ? I will run walbro fuel pump if ever.
Old 18 May 2015, 01:54 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

if your going to the hassle of swapping the engine might as well go with a single turbo STI lump - be easier to work with having only one turbo to worry about and easier to upgrade later. Donor car would be far easier as well - you could have gearbox/suspension/loom/dash all whipped out and transplanted in.
Old 18 May 2015, 02:07 PM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bludgod
if your going to the hassle of swapping the engine might as well go with a single turbo STI lump - be easier to work with having only one turbo to worry about and easier to upgrade later. Donor car would be far easier as well - you could have gearbox/suspension/loom/dash all whipped out and transplanted in.
I forgot to mention I will make the engine single turbo. As I said there's no complete car or a half cut twin turbo legacy there's a crashed wrx but its too expensive compared to the legacy engine. Wrx engine-loom-gearbox brakes = 2000 bucks. Legacy twin turbo engine and gearbox only 600 bucks but no ecu or wires. Since I will build the engine from zero I want to go with the legacy engine bc will spend alot to built it but I dont have enough knowledge in car electronic so I'm confused if I can run this engine with standalone ecu and its harness. So can I run this engine with standalone system and its harness or no?
Old 18 May 2015, 02:14 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

you will have a hellofalot of wiring to do but yes anything is possible - at least with teh turbo 2000/wrx gear you can drop it all in. The question I guess is how many hours it will take you and how much you value your time.

What kind of standalone system where you thinking?
Old 18 May 2015, 02:20 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I forgot to mention I will make the engine single turbo. As I said there's no complete car or a half cut twin turbo legacy there's a crashed wrx but its too expensive compared to the legacy engine. Wrx engine-loom-gearbox brakes = 2000 bucks. Legacy twin turbo engine and gearbox only 600 bucks but no ecu or wires. Since I will build the engine from zero I want to go with the legacy engine bc will spend alot to built it but I dont have enough knowledge in car electronic so I'm confused if I can run this engine with standalone ecu and its harness. So can I run this engine with standalone system and its harness or no?
Ok Stand alone ECU - yes you can go that route but will cost $$$ due to getting everything set up and running cost also depends in what awaliable where you are at again setting up from scratch and im talking about getting simple sensors to work may be timeconsuming etc. In addition to that $$$ for making the loom up, unless you know what you are doing this will cost some considerable money provided that there is someone near you who can do it.

Alternative you can go oldschool with carbs
but again you will need to do a fair bit of work with it to get it running.

The other option is buy the block and the engine and get standard wiing and ecu from Europ via ebay again this option may be cheaper than the stand alnoe ecu + new loom.

just tally up the costs do the ressearch and see which option cheaper/works for you best.
Old 18 May 2015, 02:48 PM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Filski
Ok Stand alone ECU - yes you can go that route but will cost $$$ due to getting everything set up and running cost also depends in what awaliable where you are at again setting up from scratch and im talking about getting simple sensors to work may be timeconsuming etc. In addition to that $$$ for making the loom up, unless you know what you are doing this will cost some considerable money provided that there is someone near you who can do it.

Alternative you can go oldschool with carbs
EJ22 Subaru with Weber Carb SJR - YouTube but again you will need to do a fair bit of work with it to get it running.

The other option is buy the block and the engine and get standard wiing and ecu from Europ via ebay again this option may be cheaper than the stand alnoe ecu + new loom.

just tally up the costs do the ressearch and see which option cheaper/works for you best.
Carburetor I'm no intrested in it. I think it's good idea to get ej20 ecu and harness but I want to build 500-600hp car so in the end I will need tuningable ecu so I think it's better to go with the standalone from the beggining right ? I will not wire the car I only can build the engine. I'm thinking about aem ems4 and its universal harness will this ecu make the engine run?
Old 18 May 2015, 02:55 PM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

you will have a hellofalot of wiring to do but yes anything is possible - at least with teh turbo 2000/wrx gear you can drop it all in. The question I guess is how many hours it will take you and how much you value your time.

What kind of standalone system where you thinking?
I won't spend my time for 200-250hp from wrx and as I know the ej20r will hold more boost if built it well. I will not wire the ecu some guys can make it with extra cost so I can only build the engine and work in mechanical things I don know much about car electric
Old 18 May 2015, 03:04 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

if you don't know much about the electrical side of things then having car side of the ECU harness may save you some time and cost when it comes to someone building you the loom to connect the AEM/other aftermarket ECU harness.

The AEM units can be bought plug and play - but you'll still need something to plug them into:

Plugs directly into the factory harness. No rewiring necessary.
Uses all the factory sensors.

^^^ from the AEM website - so you'll still need a fully pinned loom for that engine to plug it into.

See how hard it is to find the loom on ebay even, at least that way you can get the engine from one guy and the loom from somewhere else and then it's only slightly less mucking about to get it in.
Old 18 May 2015, 03:32 PM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

if you don't know much about the electrical side of things then having car side of the ECU harness may save you some time and cost when it comes to someone building you the loom to connect the AEM/other aftermarket ECU harness.

The AEM units can be bought plug and play - but you'll still need something to plug them into:

Plugs directly into the factory harness. No rewiring necessary.
Uses all the factory sensors.

^^^ from the AEM website - so you'll still need a fully pinned loom for that engine to plug it into.

See how hard it is to find the loom on ebay even, at least that way you can get the engine from one guy and the loom from somewhere else and then it's only slightly less mucking about to get it in.
So I will need oem harness to plug in into the aem/other ecu? What about the universal harness ist possible to replace the oem harness ?!
Old 18 May 2015, 03:39 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible.
I'm running standalone on my impreza, made the loom, mapped the car myself.
I don't think you will be able to do it, and I don't think 600hp is a suitable target.
Old 18 May 2015, 03:43 PM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by boosted
It's possible.
I'm running standalone on my impreza, made the loom, mapped the car myself.
I don't think you will be able to do it, and I don't think 600hp is a suitable target.
What ecu you running ? Why you think 600hp is not suitable target?
Old 18 May 2015, 03:48 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

What ecu you running ? Why you think 600hp is not suitable target?
MS2, your obviously planning on fitting and mapping the car yourself or you would be asking the person fitting the ecu if it can be done. This is your limiting factor, I don't believe you have the experience to do this yet. Maybe in 10 or so years time
Old 18 May 2015, 04:16 PM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

MS2, your obviously planning on fitting and mapping the car yourself or you would be asking the person fitting the ecu if it can be done. This is your limiting factor, I don't believe you have the experience to do this yet. Maybe in 10 or so years time
I can fit the turbo engine in my car and built the engine but cant tune it and wire it its not my job I will take it to a tuner but I'm asking if its possible to run that engine with standalone ecu and its harness not the oem harness bc cant find ej20r ecu or harness.
Old 18 May 2015, 06:25 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Entirely possible. You will need all the connectors though.
Old 18 May 2015, 08:05 PM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

Entirely possible. You will need all the connectors though.
Ok which one would work better for my project mega squirt 2 or aem ems4? Also am I dreaming to reach 600hp with forged piston-forged rod- sti crank shaft- super tech dual valves etc bearings- camshaft jun or BC. Ist possible to reach 600hp with this setup and make it weekly drive car? Or I must look for around 400-500hp max?
Old 18 May 2015, 08:46 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

the one that would work better is the one your tuner will be confident in mapping for you - you'll have to find a tuner now before you start building so they can help guide you to the right solution.

if you find a tuner you like and they say AEM is they way forward then you'll have to find a stock loom to plug it into, if they say MS2 is the way forward then you'll have to create your own harness or pay them to create it for you.

It's possible to reach any goals if your pockets are deep enough, the question is how much can you afford to get to?

Have you picked a tuner yet to work with you on the ECU side of things? They may also have their own opinions on what cams/turbo/head setup is going to be best suited to reach your goals within your budget.
Old 18 May 2015, 09:14 PM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

the one that would work better is the one your tuner will be confident in mapping for you - you'll have to find a tuner now before you start building so they can help guide you to the right solution.

if you find a tuner you like and they say AEM is they way forward then you'll have to find a stock loom to plug it into, if they say MS2 is the way forward then you'll have to create your own harness or pay them to create it for you.

It's possible to reach any goals if your pockets are deep enough, the question is how much can you afford to get to?

Have you picked a tuner yet to work with you on the ECU side of things? They may also have their own opinions on what cams/turbo/head setup is going to be best suited to reach your goals within your budget.
Ok I will check the local tuners and see what they work with. I will build the engine by myself so there's parts cost only I can buy the whole engine internals no pro also used trust intercooller westgate etc its not big pro for the budget the main pro was how to make this engine start it sound easy just harness and ecu. I found 05 wrx harness will this harness fit on the ej20r with modification or it will plug direct into the engine sensors ?! I have an idea ej20r block with ej20 intake manifold and sensors and harness I think it's possible right?
Old 18 May 2015, 09:57 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

any time you start swapping parts round your going to be looking at the potential for repinning the ECU or swapping bits and bobs over, honestly if it's not your area of expertise you'll keep the costs down by obtaining the proper loom to go with the engine. It's a cost and gain thing, certainly all is possible but how much will it cost you overall is the big question.

I know this engine seems like a good deal, but have you shopped around anywhere to see if you can find the loom or other bits to go with? You might even find an engine/loom together somewhere else for maybe just a little more and the savings in time (yours and whoever has the task of looming/pinning the new ECU) will be a pocket win for you.
Old 18 May 2015, 10:30 PM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

any time you start swapping parts round your going to be looking at the potential for repinning the ECU or swapping bits and bobs over, honestly if it's not your area of expertise you'll keep the costs down by obtaining the proper loom to go with the engine. It's a cost and gain thing, certainly all is possible but how much will it cost you overall is the big question.

I know this engine seems like a good deal, but have you shopped around anywhere to see if you can find the loom or other bits to go with? You might even find an engine/loom together somewhere else for maybe just a little more and the savings in time (yours and whoever has the task of looming/pinning the new ECU) will be a pocket win for you.
I agree with you. Can you tell me where I can buy the loom online ? All what I find its wrx loom n ecu. I think it will be easier if I buy wrx engine ecu loom then build it to handle more boost? But a built wrx engine can handle 400-500 hp?!
Old 18 May 2015, 10:48 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ask for advice on sioc those guys know everything....
Old 18 May 2015, 11:35 PM
Yardz
Scooby Regular

I'm all for a challenging project but you have to incorporate a degree of commen sense. I don't think you fully understand the mammoth task you would endure. You will be better of buying an STi in the first place even then 600bhp will needed a decent forged rebuild plus injectors turbo etc you'll have the loom in place for the avcs. You'll have better brakes gear box etc It would be a better starting ground .Even at 600bhp On an STi It would cost a small fortune. Have you ever driven anything with that kind of power? STi have proven they can handle 400 all day long. I wouldn't wanna push a wrx more than 350 even if you do you'll smash the gear box to pieces.

Personally if your looking to do a project of that mangnitude id br looking into chucking an STi lump into a set of ladders on wheels. Or into something rediculous like a mini. If you have the funds and time for that sort of thing then good luck to ya.
Old 19 May 2015, 12:06 AM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Yardz
I'm all for a challenging project but you have to incorporate a degree of commen sense. I don't think you fully understand the mammoth task you would endure. You will be better of buying an STi in the first place even then 600bhp will needed a decent forged rebuild plus injectors turbo etc you'll have the loom in place for the avcs. You'll have better brakes gear box etc It would be a better starting ground .Even at 600bhp On an STi It would cost a small fortune. Have you ever driven anything with that kind of power? STi have proven they can handle 400 all day long. I wouldn't wanna push a wrx more than 350 even if you do you'll smash the gear box to pieces.

Personally if your looking to do a project of that mangnitude id br looking into chucking an STi lump into a set of ladders on wheels. Or into something rediculous like a mini. If you have the funds and time for that sort of thing then good luck to ya.
I had 400hp a31 rb30 sohc modified head only. I won't buy sti it was big mistake when I bought impreza non turbo version but that time I didnt look for power I only liked how it looks and for daily drive. Now do you advice to build ej20r with decent forged internals? Since wrx won't handle big power I only have 2 choise build ej20r or forget about the whole project and boost other car. What you think?
Old 19 May 2015, 12:24 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't sound like you have a clue what you are doing or the cost and work involved
Old 19 May 2015, 12:49 AM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
Doesn't sound like you have a clue what you are doing or the cost and work involved
Cost is not big pro but the work yes it sound like nightmare specialy the wire. I'm thinking to do some modification for the n/a intake manifold to fit the ej20r some kind of adapter maybe so it will be ej16 intake manifold and harness on ej20r controlled by standalone ecu
Old 19 May 2015, 01:41 AM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cost is not big pro but the work yes it sound like nightmare specialy the wire. I'm thinking to do some modification for the n/a intake manifold to fit the ej20r some kind of adapter maybe so it will be ej16 intake manifold and harness on ej20r controlled by standalone ecu
Still not sure it would really work... most stand alone ECU's will be for turbo versions. Your non turbo loom will have so many wires missing for sensors that the non turbo doesn't even have! Some of these wires join others wrapped deep inside the loom.

As has been said I don't think you understand how difficult it is to just make or modify a loom.... Trust me my living room is currently taken up with an entire 99-00 loom stripped down to remove all unecisary wires and connectors for my track car. Trying to just make a loom? I doubt you will find anybody who will want to do that for you without spending thousands. It would take them so much time and effort it's not worth their time unless you pay silly money.

Yes you can get an ecu to plug into your loom with an adaptor.... but you need the original loom! The one that matches the engine and the sensors/coils/injectors etc for that engine.

Then when you get the OE loom you need to factor in things like making sure you have all the relays to make it work, the transponder and matching key chip etc.... Then is has to match the switches and gauges on the dash...

Your project is possible but if you can't wire your own loom (which I am fairly sure 99% of the members on here wouldn't be able to do) it is going to cost stupid money to have it done for you. And for what? No gain over just buying a turbo impreza.... plus your car will be very hard to insure and have no resale value.

You asked for advice.... mine (as somebody who is building a car from scratch at the moment) is go with a more simple plan.

Last edited by FMJ; 19 May 2015 at 01:44 AM.
Old 19 May 2015, 01:44 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

^^^^^^ all of this - it's really one of those cases where starting with an sti makes more sense.
Old 19 May 2015, 02:03 AM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by FMJ
Still not sure it would really work... most stand alone ECU's will be for turbo versions. Your non turbo loom will have so many wires missing for sensors that the non turbo doesn't even have! Some of these wires join others wrapped deep inside the loom.

As has been said I don't think you understand how difficult it is to just make or modify a loom.... Trust me my living room is currently taken up with an entire 99-00 loom stripped down to remove all unecisary wires and connectors for my track car. Trying to just make a loom? I doubt you will find anybody who will want to do that for you without spending thousands. It would take them so much time and effort it's not worth their time unless you pay silly money.

Yes you can get an ecu to plug into your loom with an adaptor.... but you need the original loom! The one that matches the engine and the sensors/coils/injectors etc for that engine.

Then when you get the OE loom you need to factor in things like making sure you have all the relays to make it work, the transponder and matching key chip etc.... Then is has to match the switches and gauges on the dash...

Your project is possible but if you can't wire your own loom (which I am fairly sure 99% of the members on here wouldn't be able to do) it is going to cost stupid money to have it done for you. And for what? No gain over just buying a turbo impreza.... plus your car will be very hard to insure and have no resale value.

You asked for advice.... mine (as somebody who is building a car from scratch at the moment) is go with a more simple plan.
I saw the wire work in nasioc its really hard honestly I can't do the wire work and as you said my loom may miss some sensors of the turbo engine. If the manifold will not fit on the rj20r and sensors will not match I will give up the project. But wait what if I turbo my ej16 ist possible to reach 300hp with forged internals ? With this damn engine?

Quick Reply: Impreza n/a to turbo project help.