Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

GC chassis project

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2014, 11:22 AM
tmc555
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GC chassis project

Hi all, recently picked up a GC lx impreza, it is a 1.6 and fwd. I bought the car because it carries quite a bit of potential, as the body is straight and has few dents. Bit of a rust job to do on the pillars though...

Being a complete slow mobile, I wanted to ask the forum if anyone has swapped from the array of GD STIs that carry the. EJ207.. Or if anyone could point me in the right direction on how to do the swap. I have the mechanical skill required just want to know what are the best options for the car! Thanks in advance
Old 18 November 2014, 11:37 AM
tmc555
Scooby Newbie

Old 22 November 2014, 11:55 AM
ZaKv1
Scooby Regular

I would start by finding out how to convert FWD to 4WD , then the drums to disks
your going to need everything off a turbo, brakes all around, suspension, turbo engine, gearbox, wiring loom , ecu, shafts, radiator, clocks, fuel pump ,exhaust system absolutely everything.
best off finding a crash damaged turbo model with a decent engine as a donor car,

its going to be a very long/expensive but can be done hope you know what your in for good luck..
Old 22 November 2014, 01:17 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

The way I seee it is its only worth it if ur literally gna put evrything new in the Shell. So engine, transmission, ecu etc. But if ur just gna put evrything standard in the car from a turbo wrx sti you're better of starting off with one
Old 26 November 2014, 08:34 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

likewise if your going to just transplant standard turbo components into it its not really worth it, but if your going to use the bare shell to build something different it could be a nice project.

I've toyed with the idea of using my old gc shell to build an EG33/EZ30 powered N/A classic.. maybe do something different if you are going to use the bare shell.
Old 07 December 2014, 10:48 AM
tmc555
Scooby Newbie

I was thinking of starting with something like an RA half cut as they're quite plentiful in Australia. I got this car for quite cheap so it's more affordable doing it this way than starting off with a wrx or sti. + every wrx in Australia has been raped, that can be assured. If I convert it all with sti gear that will give me a good base too start off with and total costing around 7k.. Much cheaper than a decent wrx and let alone an sti already. Then can have future plans for it.

I have seen later model GD gear into a GC but it just looks like a lot of work to do and I already know the GC loom + running gear inside out.
So far my little 1.6 has sprung a leak and I need oil lol... Being tight and saving for this!! Cheers for The feedback!
Old 07 December 2014, 11:47 AM
ZaKv1
Scooby Regular

I had the same idea as you with my sport its not worth it mate.

I did a lot of research and found out the money you save will just be used to build your project it will take 1 maby 2yrs+ and like the lads said "The way its worth it if ur literally gna put evrything new" and that will cost you way more money..

maybe consider buying a turbo with a blown engine and drop a new block in or something along those lines..

or keep the "1.6" as a run around, buy a clapt out turbo and spend a couple of yrs going all out onit

honestly best advice I got was wait 2yrs till 25 and buy a turbo
Old 07 December 2014, 07:25 PM
IanPaskin
Scooby Regular

I agree with the other comments just transplanting from a turbo to this doesn't seem worth it, it will always cost more than you planned!!!

If you actually want to build something, why not go 4WD or even RWD using a SVX engine, something a bit different.
Old 10 December 2014, 12:49 AM
tmc555
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the comments guys!
I've come up with a rough idea of what I'm going to do and that's build the car from scratch and not transplant. I've found some pretty generous people that will help me out with installing the aftermarket ecu.

I'll be using a Vipec ecu, I was basically told he will patch it into my existing harness so nothing has to come out of the car! So for now I'll just start collecting bits until this happens!

Now I want to use a 2L motor, I was thinking of getting a brand new 207, fairly cheap and strong. Not going for record breaking numbers. As for heads, if anyone can tell me from experience what heads they've used and why, I would probably just get a set of WRX heads, take them to shop to get them re done?

Gearbox... Debate I've been going over the last couple of days planning this. Now the car will be used for the street, weekend on the track and such. 6speed? Or 5speed? 6speed is expensive and hard to find whilst 5speeds aren't. Probably towards the future I'll throw a 6speed in it.

Donor car for suspension parts, fuel take etc.. Ultimately want a wrecked GD STi but a GD wrx will do. While going for the GC crossmember so I don't have to redo steering columns and annoying things like that. Basically whatever presents it self at the right time. Just to get all the gear in my car!
Old 10 December 2014, 12:53 AM
tmc555
Scooby Newbie

Will be running a front mount and keep the body as is, just lower it slightly, keep the attention down lol...