Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

The Shed

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2014, 04:22 PM
fiestaturbo1984
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Shed

After owning 4 classics and 1 bug over the last few years I always knew that when the time came to have a track car it was always going to be an impreza. IMO nothing comes close in terms of bank for buck and sheer enjoyment.

I don't have a massive budget after just having our first child and buying our first house. Couple that with saving for an E55 amg means I will have to be selective on what I spend the pennies on.

So, I have titled this thread the shed, as I feel this perfectly describes the current state of this car.

It is a 95 wrx wagon and is pretty much standard barring a magnex exhaust and front strut brace. Rear arches are a little manky and there are a few scratches here and there, perfect for my needs. The best bit of all is I only paid £550 for this hunk of junk and that was taxed and tested too. Result!

I have already removed the rear seats and over the weekend I shall be removing much more of the interior. I will probably be keeping this road legal although I have a truck to take to and from the track so i'm not fully decided yet.

Body wise I have chosen some ABW arches, 2 reasons for this, the first being I think they look purposeful for a track car and will allow me to run some wider rubber than I would have otherwise been able to. Secondly, and slightly ashamedly, it means I can hack out the rusty lips, treat and then cover with these. Win win if you ask me.
I will also fit some kind of front splitter and possibly lose the rear lower spoiler and roof rails.
Wheel I am not decided on yet although I love how the xxr's look under these arches so they are a strong contender.

The interior will be getting a cage when I can find one and I will hopefully fit a newage dash and then a decent set of gauges. Standard seats will stay for a while but will have some harnesses installed.

As for the performance side of things, I will be buying an induction kit from here to go with the 3" system I have already purchased. I will also be fitting a front mount cooler and looking into options for turbo although as I mentioned, this is a budget build and my current turbo is boosting fine. I will also keep an eye out for an ecu running L/C and A/L.

Chassis mods will be fairly standard in the form of some 4 pots and probably some godspeed big brakes and then a set of used coilovers when some become available that aren't broken or seized.

I will try to keep it up to date with pics and info etc and when I take it to snet I will get some footage.

Old 16 June 2014, 04:28 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

forget the newage dash
Old 16 June 2014, 07:34 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed, bout time we saw an early classic budget build.
Old 19 June 2014, 11:06 PM
fiestaturbo1984
Scooby Regular

Swings and roundabout the last couple of days. From the joy of my new (used) exhaust arriving...

To this...

Luckily I have a truck and a few other vehicles to use.

Result of a poorly radiator

Nevermind. It wasn't looking in that great of condition anyway so glad it popped close to home and not on a motorway. New rad should be with me tomorrow.

Couple of the smaller odd's and sods i've ordered turned up so whacked them on.

Plan to fit the new radiator over the weekend along with the now polished exhaust. I will also colour code the skirts and spats and remove more of the interior
Old 19 June 2014, 11:15 PM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll give you a few quid for the gearstick boot and the stupid plastic bit that holds it down, if the pegs are still on it
Old 20 June 2014, 08:30 PM
fiestaturbo1984
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pross
I'll give you a few quid for the gearstick boot and the stupid plastic bit that holds it down, if the pegs are still on it
It has snapped in the middle bud. Seems to happen on all of them. Ham fisted owners
Old 20 June 2014, 11:03 PM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea well mines in 2 pieces On mine all the little plastic peg things are snapped too, so the boot is totally not held down, and spins freely, total ****!
Are the pins still on yours? Do they hold the boot in place?

Trending Topics

Old 20 June 2014, 11:25 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how easy was the short shift to fit? has it made much difference?
Old 21 June 2014, 07:30 AM
fiestaturbo1984
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pross
Yea well mines in 2 pieces On mine all the little plastic peg things are snapped too, so the boot is totally not held down, and spins freely, total ****!
Are the pins still on yours? Do they hold the boot in place?
I will try and get a couple of pictures today bud and if it is of any use, cover the postage and it's yours.
Old 21 June 2014, 07:36 AM
fiestaturbo1984
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
how easy was the short shift to fit? has it made much difference?
Takes about half an hour or so. Not difficult at all.

Remove the gearknob, plastic gear surround and gear gator.
Then you will see a metal bracket with 6 screws holding it in place, remove these followed by the bracket.
There is also another rubber piece which is more of a protector as underneath is exposed. I just moved mine out of the way.
Undo the bolt and nut and then pop out the circlip holding it all in, swap it over and reverse above.

I haven't had it on the road yet as my radiator isn't coming until today but it certainly feels a little better. Not a night a day difference but then unless there is a problem, imprezas are not renowned for sloppy gearboxes.
Old 21 June 2014, 08:56 AM
fiestaturbo1984
Scooby Regular

Needs a massive clear up but this will be the cars digs. My home away from home. Every man has got to have a man cave to fill with car related crap and automobilia.