Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2014, 08:23 AM
97_sti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need some advice.

hello all! newbie here to this site and subies in general. i just recently purchased a 1997 impreza wrx sti 2 door JDM rhd from japan (where im currently located)
i was wondering if any one knows where i could pick up a set of the fog lights. also wondering if theres any usual "problem" areas i should check under the hood in or around the car..

also wondering if theres any mods worth doing. already has short ram intake with mushroom filter, has down pipe back exhaust. are equal length headers beneficial?

thanks in advance! any help welcome.
Old 26 March 2014, 10:16 AM
mr.veryfast
Scooby Regular

http://www.upgarage.com/ - Check a local up garage, second hand performance parts store.
Make sure to listen for a knock on a cold engine start, don't rev it until its hot, keep fresh fluids, new brake pads and disks, clutch. I do not know if the 2 door Japanese have a DCCD gearbox, if they dont - be careful not to dump the clutch. the standard 5 gear gearbox is not too tough.
Many cars have weak rear CV joints due to hard driving. get her up a ramp and go through the bushings with a lever to check.
Last, but not least - boost leaks (weak old rubber hoses and an old BOV) and steering links and the bolts that connect the hub to the aluminium lower A-arm.
Also the odd leak check. YOU sir are the luckiest man alive. UP GARAGE has all, but in JAPAN... good luck.
Old 26 March 2014, 10:36 AM
97_sti
Scooby Newbie

Yes i do have the dccd gearbox. It's pretty interesting how it all works. How drastic are the distribution ratios? Is it more like 35/65 at full open? I've heard lots of different things around here. Thanks ks for the help. I was under the car a few days ago and it looked very clean
Old 26 March 2014, 11:02 AM
97_sti
Scooby Newbie

And I have a question, in your opinion, how would it look if I painted the hood scoop and two hood vents black? I have an all white car but the white on those pieces is starting fade and crack