Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Paint Oxidisation

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2014, 08:57 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Paint Oxidisation

Just wondered does this happen with the new cars.
As some of you know ive ordered a Red a45, and I still think about the Red Ford sierras we all used to see that looked ****.

Im an avid waxer and I only presume as long as we keep the car in good shape we this should not happen

Why was Red the most susceptible ?
Old 05 March 2014, 10:12 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Littleted
Just wondered does this happen with the new cars.
As some of you know ive ordered a Red a45, and I still think about the Red Ford sierras we all used to see that looked ****.

Im an avid waxer and I only presume as long as we keep the car in good shape we this should not happen

Why was Red the most susceptible ?
Red has lots of titanium oxide in it to bring out the colour. Sadly it reacts with UV rather badly; my wife's red MTB is completely faded to near white in some areas, most red cars fade but if you look after it well, you'll be able to keep the shine and colour; I'd get it detailed (or do it yourself like me) from new; good polishes and sealants really help.
Old 05 March 2014, 11:11 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

youd have thought in this day an age that would never happen
Old 05 March 2014, 01:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

In my experenience it happens worst to red Vauxhalls and cars that have had poor quality repair work.
Old 05 March 2014, 01:38 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Red is the most susceptible colour to fade in UV light, irrespective of application - i.e. cars, clothes, signs etc

it is just simple physics/chemistry - the effects can be mitigated but it is the worst colour
Old 05 March 2014, 02:49 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Your merc will be fine. Red vauxhalls fade or used to, because they used a solid colour which wasn't lacquered. I'm pretty sure Mercedes will use a decent paint. A good wax or sealant which contains uv protection will help prevent fading anyway. I'm sure a pro will be along to give you a proper explanation soon. A decent machine polish would bring it back to life anyway.

Old 05 March 2014, 03:23 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

yeah I have been reading about all the new cars/paint is clearcoat thus doesn't work like the old sierras we see.

I,ll keep up to it and make sure shes shiney and waxed with Clear coat approved wax/polish.

Im also going to have it professionally detailed in its first week, Just a tad expensive LOL 200 300 and 500 quid GULP!!!
Old 05 March 2014, 04:09 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Only what you'd pay for life shine or the like, and much better quality. I'm sure it'll look better than the day you pick it up. If you keep a good routine and hen park it next to a normally looked after one in 2 years time, then you'll really see the difference. It's not only sun damage that makes paint dull and lifeless.
Old 06 March 2014, 07:47 AM
AKA Pabs
Scooby Regular

Just wax it regularly and it will be fine, fk1000p would be an easy to use and good product that would offer lasting protection.
I would only get the car detailed if you're a perfectionist. Also stay away from any life shine products from dealers. The product is only as good as the prep and many have said that their cars where poorly prepped prior to application.
Maybe consider detailing after a year or so just to lift the paintwork, but with modern clearcoats you should have no issues.
Old 06 March 2014, 09:52 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Yeah funnily enough they offered me starguard free I accepted then cancelled and swapped for a roof rack.

Thanks for the wax idea AKA, not seen these types before. I presume I can polish it as normal then apply this last correct...
Old 06 March 2014, 10:16 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Just clay it then use Dodo Supernatural Hybrid (polish and sealant in one) - cracking finish, lasts ages. Can't recommend it enough. I applied it from new.
Old 08 March 2014, 04:57 PM
AKA Pabs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
Yeah funnily enough they offered me starguard free I accepted then cancelled and swapped for a roof rack.

Thanks for the wax idea AKA, not seen these types before. I presume I can polish it as normal then apply this last correct...
The car would only need polishing first if you are not happy with the level of swirls.
FK1000p is a synthetic wax and can be applied directly onto the paint after being washed. If you are looking to preserve the paint this product only needs to be applied once every ~3 months. Don't get me wrong there are products that will give you better results and many more stages that can be added but to protect the paint without any prior knowledge, I would say its excellent value and the easiest to apply and buff off.

If you want to polish first (remove swirls and imperfections) then wax or seal, then Autoglym (AG) Super Resin Polish (AG SRP) followed by AG Extra gloss protection. Both easy products to use offering OK results and easily available.

Hope that helps.
Old 08 March 2014, 10:40 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Parking in the shade is a wise option too but that can bring its own dramas. Keep on top of cleaning and nourishing the paint and you'll keep on top of it but Red really is an utter bar steward of a colour. I've got a Milano Red Civic Type R which suffers the same. Solution? It's getting wrapped. Job jobbed.
Old 10 March 2014, 10:38 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

anyone know when clear coats started being applied to cars.. ??