Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

420d vs VW CC

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2014, 03:28 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 420d vs VW CC

By a strange twist of fate, our brand new M135i AND our VW California (both grey) are both in for paint issues; we've ended up with two medium sized coupes aimed at exactly the same market - Both are white, sport 19" alloys, have 2.0 diesel engines, cost a similar amount and are probably the choice of the distance company car driver who wants a bit more style.

BMW 420d
I've already given my views on this in the BMW section but I'll summarise here. "Ours" is a 420d Sport with extra 19" alloys and a few minor options retailing at around £35,000 all in. It has no satnav and a standard stereo with a manual box. It's VERY white and has 1200 miles on it is very new on a 63 plate.

Passat CC
We've had an issue with the paint on the VW California after the dealer serviced it and "washed" it - leaving hundreds of swirls and scratches. I kicked up rather a fuss and it appears that they are trying to placate me by lending me their best loan car. It has a DSG box and I don't actually know what engine it has but it sounds and pulls like a 2.0 diesel so I'll assume that's what it is. It has full leather and some nice little touches. Again I don't know the price but I'd guesstimate it as similar to the 420d Sport. It's on a 13 plate with 12400 miles.

The looks
Very subjective of course but both are clearly trying to achieve the same aim; take a fairly common saloon shape and turn it into a swoopy coupe that turns the "right" heads. In my opinion the BMW looks better from behind and in profile, the Passat has a better looking but less aggressive front.

The cabin
The 420d is well finished with red leather stitched black leather sports seats but this version, with no satnav, gets a cheaper looking media screen with a rather plasticky surround. Nav versions get a "solid" screen that looks better. The screen is well placed and operated by the i-drive controller. The system is very intuitive and easy to operate but takes a little getting used to.
This version also has the base spec stereo and it's pretty poor - tinny, lacking in bass and generally unpleasant. Our own M135i has the Advanced (mid option) speaker package and in a car of this calibre, I think it's an essential minimum option.
The back seats are very hard to get to with young kids and they look lost in them (aged 5 and nearly 3). They both find it claustrophobic with a very high sill line and dark glass making the poor things look a little like lost souls in a big black cave.
Up front things are better with more light and good sports seats but the materials are pretty much the same as a low spec 1 series which may irk some buyers.
Visibility is rather limited and with a low roof line and high sills, it feels a bit like you're driving a big tank; parking sensors are essential and AFAIK, standard.

The Passat is rather pleasant inside with much nicer looking seats and a few nice touches like a classy looking analogue clock. The light coloured headlining makes it feel lighter and airier (WHY do BMW insist on using black headlining in anything sporty including our M135i?!). Visibility feels better and our kids looks far more comfortable in the back and can see out properly. With rear doors, access is many times easier.
The stereo has loads of speakers and is pretty loud but (it may be the settings) the sounds is fairly average.
The media system has a small touch screen in the middle of the dash and is a lot harder to see and use; BMWs i-drive system is streets ahead. This model has nav which I haven't yet tried but VWs systems are usually fairly good. BT connection is excellent and it immediately found my iPhone music and streamed it with virtually no loss in sound quality; many BT music systems I've used have sounded dire.
Both have large but rather impractical boots.

The Performance
Again I don't have numbers for the Passat and I'm assuming it's the 170bhp diesel but the BMW 420d is a LOT quicker. The much lauded VW DSG box feels lethargic and hesitant to me; it may be an accomplished shifter and technologically advanced but I just don't like it and I've tried several. The BMWs manual box works far more effectively and while not one of the best, it's still pleasant to use - a slightly unusual issue is catching my size 10s on the clutch foot rest but this may just been my shoes. Needless to say, the 8 speed auto in our M135i is streets ahead of the DSG effort.
Both make a fairly unpleasant four pot diesel noise but the sound is well insulated in both.

The handling
Another surprise; while it's RWD vs FWD, the rear tyres on the 420d seem to both spin and lose grip more easily than expected; I've had the TCS light on several times with fairly moderate driving and fishtailed out of a few junctions. Yes the conditions here in Cornwall are abysmal but I expected the huge 19s to grip far more; it may be that they are run flats or it could be the chassis? Certainly my old E91 335d never got out of shape so easily. However the brakes are very good and mistakes easily corrected.
The Passat is actually very good - I haven't managed to step it out of line and grip seems better. It does wash a little wide on tight bends but it alls seems controlled and composed. While I prefer RWD, I think the Passat is actually more composed than the 420d.

Overall
It's a close run thing TBH and although the Passat in now getting on a bit, it's actually a very good car. More comfortable, more composed and possibly more luxurious.
The BMW has a lot more brand desirability and is a better looking car as well as going and stopping more quickly but IMO it doesn't all go BMWs way; which doesn't happen very often.
Old 24 January 2014, 07:04 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Seen you post on PistonHeads,
Few more replies to your post on there,
How do you find PistonHeads ? I've been on for about ten years but post extremely little (much less than Scoobynet - and I dont post here much either !)

Richard
Old 24 January 2014, 08:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Well, comparing a Golf GTI test drive to a 428i test drive a month or so ago, I was very disappointed with the BMW. Felt detached and aloof on the road, and like your assessment, the rear wheel lost traction far too easily for my liking.

The Golf's cabin felt better screwed together, and the plastics felt better too. Overall the Golf's ride, handling, and better interior won my vote.
Old 24 January 2014, 08:19 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richs2891
Seen you post on PistonHeads,
Few more replies to your post on there,
How do you find PistonHeads ? I've been on for about ten years but post extremely little (much less than Scoobynet - and I dont post here much either !)

Richard
Half good, half frustrating. Some good people there bye an awful lots of keyboard warrior goons.