New Golf R

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2014, 11:04 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Golf R

Just seen that these are now 300PS 0-60 4.9

Im looking at Astra VXRs or one of these the golf is pricey but what I really wanted

So dilemma is as follows

Astra VXR fully loaded all Extras 450 a month ove 5 years Lifetime warrenty

Golf R 300PS standard build in Black 3 door DSG 440 a month over 4 15k balloon at the end, GULP!!

Views on these 2 options
Old 05 January 2014, 12:10 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M135i £252 pcm inc VAT on 6+23, 10000 miles I think.
Old 05 January 2014, 12:18 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Yeah seen that John, but I don't want Lease, ive done it for many years and its dead Money.

I wanna start pumping my own cash into a car I can keep.... BMWs are nice, but the services can be expensive, my old Audi was 350 ish.

Vauxhall as youll appreciate are not a premium Brand but 160 servicing is nice

I hazard a guess golf will be more Audi esk and 200+

there is a brand new M135 in leeds for 28k, which is tempting, but im back to RWD ****e and I honestly want 4WD, now if it was Xdrive id thing again
Old 05 January 2014, 12:20 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Too much money.

Buy secondhand when they've been out a while.

Prices of the current Golf R will come down when that new one is released, that's a cracking car on the 0-62mph dash, let alone with a remap and Miltek exhaust.
Old 05 January 2014, 06:47 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Littleted
Just seen that these are now 300PS 0-60 4.9

Im looking at Astra VXRs or one of these the golf is pricey but what I really wanted

So dilemma is as follows

Astra VXR fully loaded all Extras 450 a month ove 5 years Lifetime warrenty

Golf R 300PS standard build in Black 3 door DSG 440 a month over 4 15k balloon at the end, GULP!!

Views on these 2 options
How badly do you `want` the Golf R? If you are struggling with the cost of one new, then just wait 6 months after release, and get an ex-demo, or second hand. Should be a few grand cheaper.

I compared the new Golf R with the new Audi S3, and they should be the same, but they aren't. The S3 is faster and lighter !! How, I don't know, it it's basically the same car. Why not get a second hand S3?

Plus, you're comparing a FWD car with an AWD car. If you're considering a FWD car and can't stretch (or struggling to) to the Golf R, they why not go for a Golf GTI? Or as mentioned above a M315i?
Old 05 January 2014, 06:47 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I really liked my R32 Golf and two other GTis but this iteration just doesn't do "subtle" well enough - quad exhausts; WTF?! Giant alloys - why? I'm sure it's a good car and I did consider one but it's a lot of money for a four pot hatch (except compared to the AMG A45!). I think for once I prefer the GTi.
Old 05 January 2014, 07:04 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

I have considered the S3 Saloon, and have yet to explore that Avenue, you get more for your money on the S3 I must admit. And it now ticks the box at 300PS. Saloon would be nice but unsure of release date.

A45 would be nice but way out there at 37k. im drawing the line at 32k.

Agree on the money for it, its expensive. but its as close I can find to a AWD car that ticks the boxes, and within budget.

Don't like the M135 it looks ****, appreciate the good reviews but its not got any looks at all, its BMWs Passat all look the same and the insides are drab and poor, even the 3 series I had on loan the new 330D was pretty poor internally compared to its bigger brother the 5series, Plus I do not want RWD again, not because I cant drive LOL, because its crap and not My personal cup of tea. Put ya foot down in any kind of damp/wet scenarios and hello traction control.

Financially the Astra is the best deal Interest free lifetime warranty and pretty quick, but its residual falls through the floor.

ill keep hunting this week and see what comes from Audi

Trending Topics

Old 05 January 2014, 09:31 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
M135i £252 pcm inc VAT on 6+23, 10000 miles I think.
link?
Old 05 January 2014, 10:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

http://www.centralukvehicleleasing.c...mance_3dr.html

Agree, 2WD is indeed a complete PITA in less than perfect conditions in a road car with a strong engine.
Old 05 January 2014, 10:41 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate
Old 06 January 2014, 08:12 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Agree, 2WD is indeed a complete PITA in less than perfect conditions in a road car with a strong engine.
No it's not
Old 06 January 2014, 11:05 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Strange site that. you can reduce the price by increasing your mileage from 10'000 to 25'000.

On other vehicles that is, not the BMW.

Last edited by cookstar; 06 January 2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06 January 2014, 11:14 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Unless of course you are a good driver
Old 06 January 2014, 03:59 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Doesn't matter what sort of driver you are, 2WD on a road car on road tyres is going to struggle to do much more than about 0.3g on a poor, wet surface, and that is barely the point where my wife starts complaining. It might manage almost double that for braking or cornering in the wet, so it feels like it doesn't accelerate well, because it doesn't. Trying to get out of a wet junction with some leaves and mud briskly is amusing, but not fast.

Last edited by john banks; 06 January 2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 17 January 2014, 06:35 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I really liked my R32 Golf and two other GTis but this iteration just doesn't do "subtle" well enough - quad exhausts; WTF?! Giant alloys - why? I'm sure it's a good car and I did consider one but it's a lot of money for a four pot hatch (except compared to the AMG A45!). I think for once I prefer the GTi.
I thought you must have been mistaken regarding the quad exhausts but having googled it, you are right. They look ridiculous.
Old 17 January 2014, 09:33 AM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

I'd rule out the vxr just because of the residual values. Compare a 5 year old vxr to a 5 year old golf r or even an s3. No point in just throwing money away. Worth spending a bit more for the s3 IMO.
Old 17 January 2014, 10:27 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

ive tried with MERC bit im dissapinted because the residual value on the car VS the S3 os 2k out

id have thought it would have held its price the A45, but its the same as the Golf and S3 but 7k more :/
Old 17 January 2014, 01:25 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

No complaints here - 320bhp mid- engine, rwd.... brilliant.
Old 17 January 2014, 02:31 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
No complaints here - 320bhp mid- engine, rwd.... brilliant.
Or here, 320bhp, RWD, front engined
Old 17 January 2014, 04:02 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

If it's not got a silly engine in it, I think the new WRX STi might need consideration. I like the look of it, it looks like a Japanese performance car.

More I look at the new Golf R the more I'm put off its looks. It has a mean appearance but the oversized alloys and quad exhausts don't suit its lines IMHO. Just a bit too bling. I love the old style exhaust system from the R32s and the mkVI R.

But all things considered I might make the cheaper step to the mkVI with a remap when the time is right.
Old 17 January 2014, 04:58 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
If it's not got a silly engine in it, I think the new WRX STi might need consideration. I like the look of it, it looks like a Japanese performance car.
A Japanese performance car that'll lose money faster than any of it's competitors.

The game has moved on. Not many people these days are happy to spend nearly £30k for a car with a very cheap interior. The 2.5 engine isn't very good on mpg. It's going to be no faster than the competition (what made Subaru's so popular in the first place) and can't see people wanting Scoops, spoilers and Gold wheels anymore.

Just my opinion of course, but most people on here now are Ex-Impreza owners, who have moved on to BMW's, Audi's, Porsche's etc.
Old 17 January 2014, 07:49 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

zip and Matteeboy, I wish I could feel the same, but I have never felt impressive acceleration from a 2WD road car on wet, muddy or uneven surfaces. You either use less throttle or look at a yellow flashing light on the dash. Either way, the drivetrain feels broken to me.
Old 17 January 2014, 08:39 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I have the added assistance of the weight of the engine further back than Mattee has.
Seriously, I've not had a problem in the wet - more so, I'm now deliberately trying to get the PSM flashing

Not sure if the addition of the LSD (standard on my car) helps.
Old 17 January 2014, 08:52 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
A Japanese performance car that'll lose money faster than any of it's competitors.

The game has moved on. Not many people these days are happy to spend nearly £30k for a car with a very cheap interior. The 2.5 engine isn't very good on mpg. It's going to be no faster than the competition (what made Subaru's so popular in the first place) and can't see people wanting Scoops, spoilers and Gold wheels anymore.

Just my opinion of course, but most people on here now are Ex-Impreza owners, who have moved on to BMW's, Audi's, Porsche's etc.
Pains me to say it, but your completely right!!
Old 17 January 2014, 08:57 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
I have the added assistance of the weight of the engine further back than Mattee has.
Seriously, I've not had a problem in the wet - more so, I'm now deliberately trying to get the PSM flashing

Not sure if the addition of the LSD (standard on my car) helps.
Not really pushed mine yet but even the 335d was fine and that was no slouch. In fact it coped very well in semi flood conditions. Just adapt your driving slightly; still possible to make very rapid progress and I just fine RWD feels so much more "right" than 4WD or FWD.
Old 17 January 2014, 09:20 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I like 4wd on the right car - a sports car isn't the right place for it (hence my disappointment of my 996tt).
It's great on my Forester, but that's for other uses and a sports car it ain't

RWD is great though, even on the derv Alpina - can still have fun in it.

Fwd - having just bought a van and it being the first fwd vehicle I've had in 6 years, I really don't like it!
Old 17 January 2014, 09:55 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

In my book, a sports car that can't accelerate as hard as it can corner feels like it has insufficient power or traction, it feels lacking. Until that point I always want more power or traction. I think acceleration is undervalued by many who appreciate corners more because that is the only place they feel any g force of consequence.
Old 17 January 2014, 10:29 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover

I see where you're coming from. I'll bang my head on the nearest wall if the new car has the 2.5 engine without decent internals, because it is my belief that many of us were put off by those bloody things.

But I think that's more related to the fact you're all turning into old gits and no longer fancy the hassle of the usual Impreza refinements!

Imprezas are just as fast as they ever were. Anything that'll hit 100mph in 12-13s is still very quick.

That's faster than most of the common German saloons. If you want the mega power cars then the game has moved on from 300bhp, but I don't think straight line poke is the be all and end all. Most of that lot would end up in a hedge if they tried to keep up with an Impreza on the average UK road.

Which brings me to the new car. I think dynamically it'll be a good one and it'll be competitive with the ever improving competition - S3s and golfs etc. But it won't be held in the same esteem of M3s etc any longer, which are now in a different category. To keep up with them you have to have a tuned one or join the crowd!

Last edited by thenewgalaxy; 17 January 2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 17 January 2014, 10:33 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

I'd also like to point out that I think modern buyers are too impressed by straight line speed. It's nice to have lots of it but I genuinely think a lot of them have too much for their own good.
Old 17 January 2014, 11:37 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Once again VW fit their top of the range Golf with the wrong engine.

Had the VW dealer phoning me up offering 20% off the display price of the outgoing R. Saying its an ideal replacement for my R32.

Erm no. I said, which I think took him by suprise. Which resulted in me explaining that they have a farty 4 pot engine which sounds pants compared to the 2.5 5pot or 3.2/3.6 6pot. This car should have had the 2.5 5 cylinder engine, as with the 4pot its just a AWD GTi

Plus the two the he had in stock both had Definetly Sh*t Gearboxes and both were five doors (back doors ruin the look IMO ). After mentioning my hatred of DSG he quickly srcubbed off the RS3 that was on the dealship's stocklist (DSG only).

Nice enough chap - he knew I was after a new car and did try to find something rather than pressuring me to take a compromise and pretty much agreed that VAG just don't make anything suitable for me anymore - bar the RS4, which is too expensive.

Galaxy- Agree about the tailpipes...Like the last STis: chavtastic and serve no mechanical purpose; At least with the R32 system it was a twinpipe system all the way to the mainfolds, although the old centre exit tailpipes are royal pain the ****...they leave soot rings on your legs everytime you reach into the back of the boot

Last edited by ALi-B; 17 January 2014 at 11:39 PM.

Quick Reply: New Golf R