Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

206 problem - can you identify?

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2013, 11:46 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 206 problem - can you identify?

My daughter uses a 2001 206 non-turbo 1.9 diesel for work commute. I try and keep car in good shape and it's just passed it's MOT.

But my daughter tells me that every now and again it will suddenly make what she describes as a loud tinny diesel-type noise which is linked to use of accelerator. She said it also loses power.

She will stop the car and it is usually fine again when she restarts. Two garages and the AA have failed to find anything wrong. There was a suggestion that a belt was slipping off somewhere but I really don't know what that was about. It has just had a cambelt change.

So any ideas please? I know if I go out for a run in it it will be fine

Thanks, David

Last edited by David Lock; 18 August 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 18 August 2013, 01:05 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Supplementary Question

If one of the cylinders suddenly stopped firing, perhaps because of a loose wire, would this make the engine a lot noisier? It would obviously lead to a loss of power but engine would keep going.

David
Old 18 August 2013, 01:59 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

This happened to my neighbour's 206 diesel. Never logged any errors as fault wasn't ever there for long enough.

Eventually diagnosed to an intermittent fault in the exhaust gas recirculation valve. New one installed and it's been right ever since.

Might be the same issue.
Old 18 August 2013, 02:05 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My van stopped firing on one cylinder due to a sticky diesel injector, I don't think it got louder as such but you could tell it was missing and it sounded like a tractor.

Can't help with the strange noise without hearing it, I know how your feeling though, its always the the same if you take it out it will be fine but as soon as you give it back it will start playing up again!

I'm assuming you wouldn't be able to hear it on tick over to narrow down where the noise is coming from? Does it only do it under load while driving?

Mick
Old 18 August 2013, 02:28 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

intermittent faults are allways going to be hard to find even more so over the internet but you may get better help over on the 206info.co.uk forum mate.
i presume if its got the 1.9 derv engine its a non muliplexed car which should make things a bit easier to work on.
that site is free but if you don't want to join just say and i will post up a help thread for you on there for you.
Old 18 August 2013, 02:39 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot guys, that's very helpful advice.

It's like an electrical fault that gives you grief everyday but then it is perfect when you take the morning off to take it to a garage

David
Old 18 August 2013, 05:43 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

I have a 1.9 Berlingo van with the same engine. I had the same problem and it was the thermostat. The engine wasn't getting warm enough and every now and then the electronics decided to add extra diesel as they thought it was still in its warm up phase. This led to one hell of a clattering which disappeared instantly if I stopped the engine and started it again.

A new stat sorted it permanently (until tomorrow morning, no doubt....)

It would be worth going for a drive, getting it warm and seeing if the temperature gauge is indicating well below its normal (around just under half way) position.

I hope this helps.

Trending Topics

Old 18 August 2013, 08:07 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b road blaster
intermittent faults are allways going to be hard to find even more so over the internet but you may get better help over on the 206info.co.uk forum mate.
i presume if its got the 1.9 derv engine its a non muliplexed car which should make things a bit easier to work on.
that site is free but if you don't want to join just say and i will post up a help thread for you on there for you.
Cheers for that. I'll have a look later when her indoors gives me a moment's peace

Originally Posted by Osimabu
I have a 1.9 Berlingo van with the same engine. I had the same problem and it was the thermostat. The engine wasn't getting warm enough and every now and then the electronics decided to add extra diesel as they thought it was still in its warm up phase. This led to one hell of a clattering which disappeared instantly if I stopped the engine and started it again.

A new stat sorted it permanently (until tomorrow morning, no doubt....)

It would be worth going for a drive, getting it warm and seeing if the temperature gauge is indicating well below its normal (around just under half way) position.

I hope this helps.
Thanks. Another possibility which I wouldn't have thought of. It did have a heating problem which was fixed quite easily but I don't know what the problem was and daughter just paid up and did'nt ask! Possibly a stat problem.

David