Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Daughters looking for her first car

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2013, 01:55 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daughters looking for her first car

Anyone know of a small 1.0 litre car around the £1,000 mark for sale as my daughter is learning to drive and has her test at the end of July so wants more practice than just the driving instructor. Something like a Toyota Aygo. Thanks. Andy
Old 18 June 2013, 02:01 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Yaris would be ideal for budget, please don't get French for that budget
Old 18 June 2013, 02:10 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate I think I meant yaris and not Aygo (they all seem to look the same nowadays)
Old 18 June 2013, 02:18 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Although they are a 1.3, original shape Ford Kas make a good first car, and there's always plenty for sale
Old 18 June 2013, 02:22 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Nissan Micra is an excellent little car for a first time buyer. Probably get a high miler for that money.
Old 18 June 2013, 02:35 PM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Although they are a 1.3, original shape Ford Kas make a good first car, and there's always plenty for sale
Just look out for rust around the filler. Common fault. Pain to fix.
Old 18 June 2013, 03:09 PM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marshall332bhp
Just look out for rust around the filler. Common fault. Pain to fix.
Yup - my daughter (and son) used an old 1.3 KA .. ideal for 1st car .. but sills do rust and need welding etc for MOTs so don't pay too much for one .. and get it with as much MOT as possible, as you might find cost of getting it thru the next MOT too much and more worthwhile to scrap.

Trending Topics

Old 18 June 2013, 03:46 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

The Yaris for budget,reliability,style wins for a 1st car imo ora micra, but no girl wants to drive one lol
Old 18 June 2013, 04:31 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We got a Clio 1.2 petrol, OK it's french but cheap as chips to buy, run, insure and a doddle to drive.

Shaun
Old 18 June 2013, 04:44 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Have it in your name with wife and her as named drivers. If she lives away from home then declare that too.

Do this for as long as you can until she is old enough to get a sensible quote for insurance in her name.

Don't believe it if people say it can't be done as I've done it for years.

And a 206 btw. Petrol, or diesel if she plans high miles.

Or a boring Fiesta.

dl
Old 18 June 2013, 04:53 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, some food for thought
Old 18 June 2013, 05:16 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont think you will go too far wrong with a micra, yaris, fiesta or a toyota starlet, just don't fall in to the trap of letting HER chose on the basis of looks and colour.

Buy the best looked after lowest miles car you can find, type in £1000 budget and 60,000 miles into auto trader and see what pops up.
Old 18 June 2013, 05:22 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Have it in your name with wife and her as named drivers. If she lives away from home then declare that too.

Do this for as long as you can until she is old enough to get a sensible quote for insurance in her name.

Don't believe it if people say it can't be done as I've done it for years.

And a 206 btw. Petrol, or diesel if she plans high miles.

Or a boring Fiesta.

dl
You may be able to do it, but it is still fronting, which is technically illegal. Happy days until (hopefully not) there is an insurance claim required.
Old 18 June 2013, 05:32 PM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

VW Polo 1.0
Daewoo/Chevrolet Matiz 0.9
Fiat Seicento/Cinquecento 0.9
Fiesta 1.25
Ka 1.3
Corsa 1.0/1.2

Are all also relatively low insurance groups.

As mentioned, don't go near cheap French motors...

Clio's are prone to head gasket failures, 206's eat back axles... The list goes on.

Good luck with the search.
Old 18 June 2013, 05:58 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought a 206 as a first car last year - I was outvoted....

A random electrical fault has appeared where the engine cuts out while driving, happened half a dozen times now. I've googled it and it seems to be a common problem, but no-one has found a common reason - suspect it's a dodgy wire in the loom somewhere.

Then the brakes failed completely dumping all the fluid on the road. Turned out to be a build up of corrosion between the aluminium hydraulic brake cylinder and the backplate that then misaligns the cylinder pistons to the brake shoes allowing the pistons to pop out completely. A definite design problem caused by accelerated corrosion between dissimilar metals.

Only good thing is that no-one in our family will ever consider buying anything French unless it's wine or cheese.

Jap or German for reliability, or possibly Ford.

Last edited by Skoobie Dhu; 18 June 2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 18 June 2013, 06:05 PM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu
Bought a 206 as a first car last year - I was outvoted....

A random electrical fault has appeared where the engine cuts out while driving, happened half a dozen times now. I've googled it and it seems to be a common problem, but no-one has found a common reason - suspect it's a dodgy wire in the loom somewhere.

Then the brakes failed completely dumping all the fluid on the road. Turned out to be a build up of corrosion between the aluminium hydraulic brake cylinder and the backplate that then misaligns the cylinder pistons to the brake shoes allowing the pistons to pop out completely. A definite design problem caused by accelerated corrosion between dissimilar metals.

Only good thing is that no-one in our family will ever consider buying anything French unless it's wine or cheese.

Jap or German for reliability, or possibly Ford.
Sounds like that car was a real nightmare!

To be fair to the French car manufacturers, Italian cars can be just as bad and spawn random electrical faults, although mechanically the seem much better than their French counterparts!

Cheap parts on French are usually to blame, especially when the electrical faults are untraceable. Although the suspension is usually the first give!
Old 18 June 2013, 06:40 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Vastly overlooked are Daihatsu.
Can have a 1.0 litre Cuore or Charade. Different trims including electric windows, mirrors and even air-con
And Daihatsu are vastly owned by Toyota and made the Toyota small engine range not the other way round very reliable.
Old 18 June 2013, 07:28 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Truss
You may be able to do it, but it is still fronting, which is technically illegal. Happy days until (hopefully not) there is an insurance claim required.
I didn't know I was doing anything wrong?

I declared daughter as main driver and even got it insured for her business use. I was completely honest with insurers so I didn't have any problems.

dl
Old 18 June 2013, 07:36 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frenchwood
VW Polo 1.0
Daewoo/Chevrolet Matiz 0.9
Fiat Seicento/Cinquecento 0.9
Fiesta 1.25
Ka 1.3
Corsa 1.0/1.2

Are all also relatively low insurance groups.

As mentioned, don't go near cheap French motors...

Clio's are prone to head gasket failures, 206's eat back axles... The list goes on.

Good luck with the search.

You say stay away from French cars and THEN suggest an Italian car!! Especially a dump of a Fiat

Andy, ignore the usual rubbish that French cars are crap.

I've had 4 Peugeots (two 106's, 205GTi and 406), and apart from the admittedly 22 year old 205 being a pain, the others were brilliant cars. No mechanical or electrical issues at all and cheap to service/fix yourself if necessary.

I also found the insurance cheaper than other marquee too.

Look at late 106's
Old 18 June 2013, 07:38 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Polo
Corsa
Fiesta/ka
Yaris

Can't beat jap for performance, but I don't trust the cheaper models like micras or Hyundai etc
Old 18 June 2013, 07:40 PM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

It's the insurance that's gona make ur decision. Lad I worked with has a 19 year old son who passed his test and couldn't get insurance for his r reg 1.0l corsa for under 5k. My mate swapped all his no claims on to his policy with his son as a named driver and got it down to £1900. For a £400 car. Crazy how are young people supposed to afford that kind of premiums.
Old 18 June 2013, 07:42 PM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

What about a C2 must be some for that kind of money these days.
Old 18 June 2013, 07:54 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

The thing is for cars like corsa, fiesta, polos for the just passed driver you get stung on insurance as that's what all the new drivers buy including chavs and pimp them up and they are the most common cars that have claims within the first year of driving so insurance see it as that. And it's right what the guy says above, a corsa will cost around 5k to insure in first year to a 17-21 year old new driver.

As said insure on mummy and daddy's name with daughter as named driver but unsure if she can build up her ncd by doing so (only some insurers do it)

And you've got to ask yourself will my daughter be seen dead in a dihatsu, matiz etc

As to why I said Yaris as it wins in all corners of the op's situation, try look for a sr spec as they look kind of sporty or go for the t-sport but they are 1.5s

Good luck yo!
Old 18 June 2013, 08:47 PM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian

You say stay away from French cars and THEN suggest an Italian car!! Especially a dump of a Fiat

Andy, ignore the usual rubbish that French cars are crap.

I've had 4 Peugeots (two 106's, 205GTi and 406), and apart from the admittedly 22 year old 205 being a pain, the others were brilliant cars. No mechanical or electrical issues at all and cheap to service/fix yourself if necessary.

I also found the insurance cheaper than other marquee too.

Look at late 106's
A reasonable point, BUT, IMHO, its lesser of two evils... Having had both French and Italian...

Had 2 x 205GTi's, and a Laguna, and all 3 of them had to have almost all the suspension replaced during ownership. 1 205GTi, well I got out of it one evening, went back to it the following day and the ECU had died. Never started again. Lifted the engine into another (much newer) shell, fired up first time. 3 months later, lost rear electrics altogether (lights, rear wiper). Fixed that, and then lost front electrics a couple of weeks later. Not to mention that it leaked like a sieve! Lol. Laguna was ok when I got it, but as it aged random electrical items simply stopped working, until it died!

Had a Fiat Cinquecento Sporting and the only issue I had was that the lambda sensor was crap and kept failing emissions. Got through 2 OEM ones before a fiat mechanic told me to put one off a punto 1.2 on it. Never had another issue with it after that! And sold it on for twice what I paid for it.

My experiences with French cars have been poor, and I have a few other friends that have similar stories. I posted on another thread all my French cars have almost shook themselves to pieces. Rattles galore! Lol.

Also, I've replaced rear axles on 3 206's. the bearings give way, and it's an expensive job... Not an economical fix. Nor one you want to have to do on a first car. 106's are just saxos in disguise... And as a plus there's tons of parts, but I think I've had that much crap luck with French cars that I just can't bring myself to recommend one! Lol.

I think with me it's more personal preference!
Old 18 June 2013, 09:01 PM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
The thing is for cars like corsa, fiesta, polos for the just passed driver you get stung on insurance as that's what all the new drivers buy including chavs and pimp them up and they are the most common cars that have claims within the first year of driving so insurance see it as that. And it's right what the guy says above, a corsa will cost around 5k to insure in first year to a 17-21 year old new driver.

As said insure on mummy and daddy's name with daughter as named driver but unsure if she can build up her ncd by doing so (only some insurers do it)

And you've got to ask yourself will my daughter be seen dead in a dihatsu, matiz etc

As to why I said Yaris as it wins in all corners of the op's situation, try look for a sr spec as they look kind of sporty or go for the t-sport but they are 1.5s

Good luck yo!
A 1.0 corsa shouldn't be that expensive to insure at a (New style) group 3.

The polo is a (new) group 5,
106 1.1 is around group 7
The fiats are around a group 2/3
Matiz is around group 5

So the fiats or the corsa *should* be the cheaper if you can find a good example!
Old 18 June 2013, 09:10 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

(2008) 1.4 diesel Yaris are only £30 a year to tax
Old 18 June 2013, 09:12 PM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
(2008 ) 1.4 diesel Yaris are only £30 a year to tax
Expensive to buy though...

I'm looking at the moment for the other half as she's doing lessons.

It's looking like it'll be an old corsa! Needless to say she'll not be driving my scoob! Lol
Old 18 June 2013, 09:14 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Yes but all the chavs buy them and put alloys and body kits on them etc and drive them like loons and crash them as to why they have more claims than a non Chav type car, insurance groups don't make much of a difference for a 'new' driver, it's the same risk IMO.
Insurance groups only make a difference to an experienced driver who has ncd
And women drivers don't get discount anymore.
Old 18 June 2013, 09:16 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frenchwood
Expensive to buy though...

I'm looking at the moment for the other half as she's doing lessons.

It's looking like it'll be an old corsa! Needless to say she'll not be driving my scoob! Lol
Depends what you call expensive. I know of a nice Yaris for sale in Nottingham which belongs to a member on here.
Old 18 June 2013, 09:17 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

If you like French, I've seen a mint looking 106 w reg with 80k on clock T&T for £650 on another forum, seems very clean and cheap if that's your thing

Quick Reply: Daughters looking for her first car