BMW 318 auto what are they like?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2002, 03:33 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Hello all

I am going to change my puma that has seen better days for a 318 auto on a V reg on friday I am not a fan of automatic cars but its the best I can do at the moment (company car so can't really complain) my question is what are these cars like?

Thanks in advance
Old 20 May 2002, 04:04 PM
Scaramanga
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hate to be grumpy but they are horrible. I had one as a co. car and I have to say it was the most frustrating/downright dangerous car I have ever driven.

The car is HIDEOUSLY underpowered, very heavy and the auto box is not great. In the dry it's impossible to get the car to move at all so you think that you are safe until you try and accelerate out of a greasy bend, foot down......nothing, down a bit more........still nothing......la de dah........then it kicks down twice and you are going completely sideways before the traction control has a clue.

I had a couple of manual 318s after that and they were much better (although still not what I would call fun)

The servicing however is great and I'd buy another beemer because of it. Quality of the interior and general ride and cruising ability were great (I was doing about 50K a year at the time)

Hope that this helps a bit. What other choices do you have and can you swing a manual?
Cheers,

Simon
Old 20 May 2002, 04:08 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Simon

Only other choice was to keep the puma which is knackered basically. I will work on seeing what I can swap it for at a later date. If it goes sideways all the better for me I am not scared of that and prefer it. Whats it like if you hold the gears manually?
Old 20 May 2002, 05:23 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

A friend has one as a compnay car. Doesn't rate it at all. You have to drive it so hard to get any performance out of it you get no fuel economy.

What's the point of a smallish engine with no poke and no economy!!!
Old 20 May 2002, 05:32 PM
zilch
Scooby Regular

Paul, had a 318i and then 320i auto (b4 my 1st scoob) forced on me at my last company, positively pedestrian mate. Basically you have to push it hard to get it to actually move, and I am afraid they were not very quick at that. Would not touch another unless it was a minimum of a 325.

Cheers

Jim
p.s. Hope the integrale is coming on, and you will have to post some pics on here
Old 20 May 2002, 06:48 PM
Scaramanga
Scooby Regular

Paul,

Hate to say it but it's not the controlled sort of going sideways that I'd enjoy, more of the completely unexpected out of control nightmare that will end up putting you in a hedge or another car. In short it bears little relation to what you are doing with the controls!

Holding onto the gears manually didn't seem to help much as it still kicked down and changed up when you didn't want it to!

Owning a beemer as a co. car was a very good experience tho. All depends on what you are looking to do with the car.
Cheers,

Simon