Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

RX8 231 - Any experience of one?

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2013, 07:07 PM
HantsWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX8 231 - Any experience of one?

Alright Guys,

Opportunity to get hold of an RX8 has come up, its a 231, base spec model (no Sat Nav) but still well specced.

Ive done a lot of reading up, there are a lot of scare stories about them (plugs, coils, leads, starter motor) then of course the dreaded lack of compression.

I know they need oil as part of general running maintenance and that they drink fuel but that doesnt bother me too much as that is day to day running.

Anyone had any experience of one, owned one etc?

Ta
Old 12 April 2013, 07:23 PM
VitruvianJ
Scooby Regular

I have one.

Lovely car but expensive to run.

If you get a good one that has need looked after you shouldn't have any if those problems. I've had nine 2 years and done normal road driving, several trackdays and even a trip to the ring, not 1 issue yet... Even had 150mph on autobahn :-)

If you take the car you're looking to buy out for a run, when its fully up to temp turn it off and restart it, if it starts fine then chance are its ok. You could always try get a compression test first for complete peace of mind?

Coil packs should be checked, if white then they need changed. Checked mine last summer, all good and no problems but will check them again this summer as dint think they've been changed. It's not a massive deal to change them.

Some engine tips:
• warm car up before driving until revs settle on 1250 line
• until temp is up to normal running temp don't go above 4k revs
• check oil every other full tank of fuel

If you do all if the above you shouldn't have any engine issues.

Again, lovely car to drive, look at etc just really needs looked after.
Old 12 April 2013, 07:25 PM
VitruvianJ
Scooby Regular

Oh and starter motor was upgraded in mid 2006, mine has the smaller older one and its fine
Old 12 April 2013, 08:38 PM
HantsWRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate really appreciate that!

Basically been offered a swap for my 95 uk2000 on a 2004 rx8 with 90k and no sh. It's black with a Tokyo exhaust. Seen it cold start and it started in about 2/3 seconds gonna see it hot starting too but can't get a comp test
Old 12 April 2013, 09:50 PM
lewis_1990
Scooby Newbie

Hi mate the rx8 is a good car just needs maintaining regular oil changes as above let the car warm up before driving. The 2004 models are most know for having the hot start issues. My mate has a 231 2003 model and its a fun car to drive and for the money you get a lot of car. The bottom end power isn't very good but they are revy engines so all the power is top end. I think they rev to like 9k wouldn't really recommend it tho. Oh and they are very tail happy if tc is off. Good track cars.
Old 12 April 2013, 10:02 PM
VitruvianJ
Scooby Regular

Agree very weak low down, really need to rec them for the power. It's all good revving that high, rotary engines don't have so many parts, no pistons or rods to break!

And it beeps and a light comes up on the dash if it wants you to change gear
Old 12 April 2013, 10:17 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had ours 7 years now, now 50k miles. No major problems in that time, serviced it myself since 36k service. This year the original brake discs needed changed and the original exhaust failed at the rear silencer. Fitted one of the eBay toyosports stainless exhausts and it now sounds much sportier. Our coil packs failed at around 43k miles, new ones are £240 for the genuine set. The rx8 engine is designed to use oil, I do about 6k miles a year and I have to top up about 5 litres over the year.

Our sump corroded through, dead simple to change though.

Ours has some rust at the bottom of the front wings from stone chips, other than that the paintwork is pretty good. Stereo is to die for, heated seats are nice and comfy. I use ours through the winter, but I run a set of 17" wheels with snow tyres as its rubbish in any sloppy conditions.

Read up on stalling and how to avoid it, I've stalled ours once and it's hard work to recover it. I started it from cold, moved it a few feet and switched it off again. 15 mins cranking with the fuel pump fuse pulled before it cleared the fuel.

Fuel consumption is the only real gripe, low 20s is typical.

They're quick but not sti quick, the linear power delivery means you have to work quite hard to make them quick.

Trending Topics

Old 12 April 2013, 10:43 PM
HantsWRX
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, I've heard about the flooding etc. My Scooby is no doubt faster at 280bhp but there is a certain appeal about them and having something newer and a bit slicker looking

Last edited by HantsWRX; 12 April 2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 13 April 2013, 09:46 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

I bought an 08 plate, 231 about two years ago and thought the car was great. Nice to look at, great dash layout and interior (two tone red and black) and I loved the way the rear doors opened up.

It's not the most economical car I've ever owned even compared to my E60 3.0. It has a different power delivery and having to rag it to get it going seemed strange and then it drank fuel for fun. I paid £4100 for it back which seemed a bargain for a car just turned 3 years old but the guy I bought it off was been relocated to the US.

It seems like you've done homework so best of luck and I hope you get a great car out of it.
Old 14 April 2013, 07:46 AM
HantsWRX
Scooby Regular

Spot on this forum, all good feedback without pure bias. So the swap was arranged, got a call inter morning the guy flooded it moving it on his drive then cracked a plug and now gas a low down misfire.

Enough to call the swap off but I'm looking into rebuilding an rx8 rotarty because these can be had dirt cheap and although pricey to run look a great car.