Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2013, 08:51 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Auto Sparks in here?..Vauxhall related

Alright folks, a bit of a weird one.

Vehicle 2012 Astra Van Sportive 125ps

On occasion when driving I hear a quiet click of a relay in the back and then when you press the accelerator a louder click of a relay and the heated rear window is on, when you back off the throttle another loud click of a relay and the window is off. The rear demist button does not light up when this happens but you can see the rear window drying out. When you press the demist button you hear the click, yellow light comes on and the window stays on and no symptoms from accelerator. When switched off the problem returns.
At the same time as above the exhaust note seems to change and become slightly more raspy, the van also seems slightly more responsive too.
Again at the same time as above the radiator fan comes on and the engine smells hot (coolant levels have been checked and are ok)

To put this in perspective I left my work at Wemyss bay ferry terminal with the van stone cold and had been sitting all day and by passing Inverkip power station (distance of approx 1.5 miles) the relay was clicking and hot air was coming out the vents and engine fan was running.

I have had it back to the dealers but they say they could not get the fault to replicate and Vauxhall UK say they have not heard of this before. Our company's electrician who also has a 62 plate Astra van (not sure which one but trim level below the Sportive) also has the exact same problem

All the best
Graeme
Old 13 March 2013, 01:47 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No idea what the problem is, but you could rig up a temporary test lamp direct to the rear window feed, and then ask the technician to come out with you. They should then be able to see the lamp going on/off.