Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

German car owners

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2012, 06:43 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default German car owners

Had our BM for a few years now and still very much like it (M135i next I think) but something that has been constantly bugging me - the complete obsession with enormous alloys, stupid fat tyres (even on lame engined models) and the utterly daft assumption that spec is more important than the engine.

Is it an S-Line bender model on 20s? Yes (but it has a wheezy little diesel motor.)
I've got a 3 series M SPORT (oh, I spent £3k on some bodykit, interior trimmings and some alloys that break. Oh it has a 140bhp diesel...)
I've got a Merc C class AMG - errrmmm that's actually a C180 with aftermarket alloys.

BMWs are the worst - I've lost count of the number of fake M badges on the grilles of 320ds, 520d, 320is, etc, etc yet this seems to somehow be considered acceptable. It ISN'T! Only M cars are allowed M badges, only RS and S Audis can look like RS and S models, only full fat AMGs are allowed to look like one.

Then there's the obsession with (heavy) options; "yeah I have a fully loaded M Sport" - I see, your 2.0 litre diesel has 8 way electric seats, nav that doesn't do full postcodes and the internet. How useful.

Anyway this afflction doesn't seem to affect Scoob and Evo style cars - I wonder why?!
Old 13 December 2012, 07:03 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Do agree with you on this massive wheels with v low profile tyres on, which ride terrible on anything but a race track. Seem to be a v much image / prestige thing with Audi /BMW / Merc. Probably an age thing - but have got past the thumping bad ride in cars, but it could be just the rubbish roads by me.
Audi is really bad on this especially when coupled with s line suspension, Worse than BMW run flats on m sport suspension which is really not as bad as everyone makes out.
Electric seats and electric steering columns that mated to a key are my absolute hate, after GF borrowed my key and adjusted it to her height and odd driving positions, - got in car and that weird sensation of the seat going forward and the steering wheel coming towards you (to the point where think its going to crush you) is not a pleasant sensation !

I dont think VW are as bad for the above on the wheel / body kit bit.
Richard

Last edited by richs2891; 13 December 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 13 December 2012, 08:50 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

I think it has a little to do with boredom , when you buy a German car Audi , BMW ect there is very little you can do regarding mods power / engine wise ( unless you spend mega money )
So mods seem to centre around exterior/interior styling , wheels , badges , side skirts ect
But with scoobys / evos we are lucky and have a million and one things to do and most of it centres around the engine /handling and most already have the spoilers badges ect so all we need is the odd little front splitter or carbon bit
Thats my theory anyway
Old 13 December 2012, 09:02 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because german cars are owned by tw@ts.
Old 13 December 2012, 09:24 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
Because german cars are owned by tw@ts.
I own German and a scooby , as do loads on this site so looks like tw@ts own scoobys as well
Old 13 December 2012, 09:44 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

People make uk 2000 and Wrx cars look like sti's...........
Old 13 December 2012, 09:50 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

So how come Porsche can fit 20" wheels to a Boxster or 911 without ruining the ride?
Even our Alpina on 19's is a fantastic compliant ride.

You mustn't forget that possibly 80% of the car buying population aren't 'into' the dynamics of cars - only how they look and how fast they get to 60 mph!

Whilst I agree that some manufacturers adorn some models with plastic gunk (thinking more Audi S line rather than M sport as the BMW doesn't offend me) they do it because it sells.

Trending Topics

Old 13 December 2012, 09:58 PM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I've lost count of the number of fake M badges on the grilles of 320ds, 520d, 320is, etc, etc yet this seems to somehow be considered acceptable. It ISN'T! Only M cars are allowed M badges, only RS and S Audis can look like RS and S models, only full fat AMGs are allowed to look like one. Anyway this affliction doesn't seem to affect Scoob and Evo style cars - I wonder why?
Oh yes it does. There are plenty of Sport/Gx Non-Turbo cars on here and other Subaru owners club sites, fully decked out with WRX/STI spoilers, bonnet air intakes, full interiors and STI badges, etc, etc!

What is the point of a bonnet scoop on a car with no intercooler? Doesn't the engine bay just get unnecessarily wet and dirty?
Old 13 December 2012, 10:14 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

some options are must imho, as there are some useful one like heat seats for one , comfort access etc etc
Old 13 December 2012, 10:30 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Marketing.
I wonder how many top models are produced for the sole reason of bumping up sales of lower spec cars that are then designed to look like them. It makes the mass market of buyers feel as though they are buying something above average, something a bit special. This is why Audi use the 'S' in S-line, BMW use the 'M' in M sport and Mercedes are using AMG branded parts more and more.

I can imagine it frustrating owners of high spec cars such as M3 or 335 as lower minions are able to dress their cars up to look similar or in some cases better than what they have spent considerably more money on. How dare they!
Old 13 December 2012, 11:30 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a 320i loaner with the same MSport options and nice interior as my 335i and it did seem a bit pointless I thought. But if people want to spunk away a fortune and polish turds without harming others then let them do it.
Old 13 December 2012, 11:42 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I do agree. Personally I would much prefer to buy a 325i SE over a similar priced 320i M Sport.
There are many people I work with though who buy cars purely to pose in so buying a large engined car is pointless when you can have the look for considerably less outlay. I got taken out in a friends R8 and we never went past 40mph. The lure of catching glances off people was more appealing than the thrill of driving it properly.

Last edited by SRSport; 13 December 2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 14 December 2012, 08:06 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

If i can't afford to run a large engined motor, i'd still like it to look good...
Old 14 December 2012, 08:38 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

When talking about German cars I don't think there is a lot in it to be honest, especially if its turbocharged.
Old 14 December 2012, 09:55 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5
If i can't afford to run a large engined motor, i'd still like it to look good...
Is looking "good" being a fake version of a faster car?
I think proper M,RS,AMG stuff looks fine on proper cars. On faux ones it just looks very silly.
Old 14 December 2012, 10:20 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

You dissin my 18s bro?

Yeah probably is a bit daft but does look kind of cool. I'm really not looking forward to the bill for my first set of tyres mind you 245s and run flats, over £200 each

My E30 325i had 14" wheels and that handled okay, bit lary in the wet though
Old 14 December 2012, 12:19 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Is looking "good" being a fake version of a faster car?
I think proper M,RS,AMG stuff looks fine on proper cars. On faux ones it just looks very silly.
Definitely not, but it becomes difficult to split it.

For example, i have fake BBS's on my E90 M-Sport. Personal taste, but i'm sure some would decry it for being replica's, while some would say it's fine.

On a side note, there's a chap who visits his parents, a couple doors down. E60 SE with M-Sport alloys and an M badge on the front grille. Not my taste at all, but i wasn't far off with my old E60 SE, when i fitted an OE M-Sport kit and replica Spider alloys. Didn't stick any badges on it, but it changes the look drastically and was well worth it to me.
Old 14 December 2012, 01:17 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I was in Sytners BMW last week waiting for my car.
Having a browse at the cars, as one does, I noticed a white X5.

Looked very nice in its own kind of way, however, on going round the back of it I noticed it was badged 'M50d', with the M bit in the usual M colours.

The engine was also only a 3.0d but a tuned version.
This was a brand new factory fresh car so obviously they come badged like this.

I'd be ashamed to drive around in it tbh!
Old 14 December 2012, 01:32 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

And would think that driving a white X5 would be shame enough !

Richard
Old 14 December 2012, 01:45 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

It's funny how a colour can play such a major roll.

I think the X5's are nice in white, along with a lot of cars ATM, but I'm not sure I'd choose it if I were buying one.

Actually, the Evoque we've just finished, the guys dad has just bought a white Red edition RRS and although its also nice, I could never choose the colour myself. Far too glam'd up and chintzy. The Evoque appears a bargain next to it, when it comes to base prices too.
Old 14 December 2012, 02:04 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

You've got to look at car tax and the like as well these days. More often than not emissions become the big issue. Also, it may be just as cheap to spec an M Sport on a lease than an SE or the like (changed now, I know)

I'd rather have a 320d M Sport than a non M Sport model becasue (imo) the M Sports look so much better. And as above, I don't have such issues with the m Sport suspension either.

S line Audis - yeah, agreed, not quite the same. And ZERO excuse for M badges on anything other than a proper M car
Old 14 December 2012, 02:30 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

we got a 118d m sport at work, brand new came with all the m badges on it from factory
Old 14 December 2012, 02:33 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

mine on 18's, standard are 16's iirc, ride is still fine, so depends how big you consider to be too big.

Have to say i agree its daft to put an M badge on none M series car (dont forget there are 1/3/5 series M sports not just m1/m3/m5 etc though)
Old 14 December 2012, 02:35 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

nice beemer tidgy !
Old 14 December 2012, 02:45 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dukeoffenland
nice beemer tidgy !

its my comfy barge also got a mod'd 2.8 under the hood so shifts ok as well (not as well as the scoob though of course lol)
Old 14 December 2012, 02:51 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

yeah i was looking at late 525-528 versions of them before i moved jobs last year and got a company car, was very impressed with the kit,

had a few omegas before and loved them,
Old 14 December 2012, 02:53 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

i bought this one from a guy at work 3 years ago, i've done over 30k miles now, got odd thing thats needed doing but still going strong with no rust to be found other then slight dink in the boot lip.
Old 14 December 2012, 05:24 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Don't really see the issue with people putting M bits and AMG bits on lower spec cars. Up to them really.

All this 'it devalues the real ones' crap is just snobbery frankly!
Old 14 December 2012, 05:42 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah me too, the logical conclusion is some form of vehicular communism where we all have to drive the same unmodified cars

The world would be a duller place, and each to is own anyway

the pointless aesthetic is to be applauded, the noddy side skirts and tea tray spoiler, badges etc, even massive shiny wheels with spinny centre wtf, but hey brightens up the place

But one thing that really does get me is why kitesurfers wear board shorts over wetsuits

Wtf is that all about - really boils my ****

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 14 December 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 14 December 2012, 06:07 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Don't really see the issue with people putting M bits and AMG bits on lower spec cars. Up to them really.

All this 'it devalues the real ones' crap is just snobbery frankly!
Quite agree, but putting M badges on a non-M car?

It's like putting a GT3 badge on a normal Carrera with a factory bodykit fitted - its just totally wrong!

But each to their own - there's worse things to worry about.

Like kite surfers and board shorts....

Quick Reply: German car owners