Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Evo4

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2002, 10:26 PM
SUNDAY DRIVER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,
Anyone on here had/driven a Lancer Evo4-Im thinking of trying one as a change from my MY96 wrx.(ps not trying to get into any arguments here-just looking for some advice)
Cheers,
SD.
Old 12 May 2002, 11:52 PM
mr_6
Scooby Regular

Hi.
If you can I would stretch the budget to a 5. If you bought a 4 you would always wish you had the looks of the 5/6. Still a very capable car though, you won't look back
Old 13 May 2002, 12:13 AM
SUNDAY DRIVER
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks 6,
Too much money to spend around my house this year for a 5/6,but hope that a 4 should be a worthwhile stepping stone!
Old 13 May 2002, 12:19 AM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Best place to ask is HERE

Rich
Old 13 May 2002, 06:44 AM
mook
Scooby Regular

I like the 4s, would definately look at getting one
Old 13 May 2002, 09:56 AM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Cool

I owned a 4 for a while, between Stis, and to be honest, I didn't like it very much - it was completely lacking in the character that an Sti has, and so I sold it and changed back. It was only fun if you were caning it, and then it still felt rather synthetic. The Sti for me, feels special all the time, and when caning it (its a Type R) I actually have to get involved in the action.

However, this is just my humble opinion, and I am biased by having to use them both in London, for which the EVO with its (and I can't overstate this enough) frankly appallingly bad fuel consumption, rattly interior trim, and noisy suspension did not make a good case for itself.

If you live in the country, the EVO will make more sense than it did for me, but the range will still **** you off.

Also, I felt it looked really weedy and a bit bloated on the standard 16 inch wheels, so budget for an upgrade, and as with the Imprezas, the brakes were inadequate. In standard trim, they are also not that quick, compared with the 5,6 and Stis, although they are much fatster than a standard UK impreza.

I say again, this is all my humble opinion, but make sure you test drive one, you may love it. It just didn't really float my boat is all.

Good luck.

Mike
Old 13 May 2002, 11:56 AM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Hasnt the evo4 got 287 bhp and an sti 260??? strange ive heard that the evo 4 was really rapid and the P1 was more of a car to compare it to. when did the evo4 come out?

The fuel ecconomy really alot worse than an STI?

Trending Topics

Old 13 May 2002, 01:42 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

The 4 has 276 Bhp as standard, the same as all Stis bar the Sti 1. However, it is rather a lot heavier, and thus slower. Mine had about 320 Bhp, and my current Sti 4 Type R has 313Bhp. The STi is a lot faster. Standard Type Rs are faster to probably about 70mph than standard Evo 5 and 6 GSRs too. Even the Lancer lot admit this . Plus Type Rs are quicker than P1s too ....... shorter gearing. You really could take outrageous liberties with the Evo through the bends, but it always felt like this was the car's electronics rather than my driving ...

And yes they really are worse on petrol. Worst car I have ever owned for it in fact.
Old 13 May 2002, 02:46 PM
grahamstocker
Scooby Regular

Tract uhmail.
Old 13 May 2002, 03:13 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

really wow, its hard to belive that the STI are quicker than the P1, whats are the type r facts and figures compared to an evo 4? 0-60 1/4 mile and 0-100.

is the type r an import only car? they came as the 2 door coupe? I know they are geared well but havnt they got a slower top end?
I am think about getting a Evo 4/ impreza not uk turbo or a e36 M3 3.0l. i was begining to rule the impreza out as i didnt think that i could get one as good as the evo 4/M3 speed wise that is.

thanks for your help
Old 13 May 2002, 03:35 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Mozza, firstly, a P1 is an Sti Type R with a few changes. It is based on the version 5, but has the standard Sti drivetrain (ABS, no adjustable centre diff, longer gearing), rather than the short-ratio box of the Type R. Thus, even if it had the same power, it would be slower accelerating due to the gearing. But, it is also slightly heavier (I think), and has less torque (and probably less power too)due to the ECU tweak it has to run on UK fuel. Note that some imports won't produce full power on UK SUL either though.

Regarding top end, you've got it the wrong way round I'm afraid - that's where the STIs excell. They rev to 8250 rpm (1000rpm more than an Evo), and produce full power up there too - they don't tail off like the UK cars. They also have a huge amount of torque (260 Lbs ft as standard), although this comes in later than in a UK car. Fix this with a full sports exhaust though.

Type Rs are import only (but so are all the Evo 4s, most of the 5s, and a good proportion of 6s too by the way). Performance for them as standard are 0-60 in about 4.2 secs, and 0-100 in 12.5. They are FAST. You can also liberate an extra 20Bhp and drammatically improve the power delivery with a full exhaust system and air filter mod too. Do not discount them. Couple all this to a weight of 1250 Kgs, and you have a car that nothing standard this side of a Caterham/westy or Supercar can keep up with, and definately nothing with 5 seats and a boot. The new M3 is a bit quicker, but then its rather a lot more expenive too...

Let me know if I've changed your mind by the way, cos mine's for sale

I look forward to everyone disagreeing with me about the nothing faster comment.

All the best

Mike

[Edited by Tractor - 5/13/2002 3:42:34 PM]
Old 13 May 2002, 04:12 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

im getting confused, why did suburu make so many different models, wrx type r and type ra they are the ones with the electric diff right? the ra minimal electronis?

i didnt know about a sti type r, the top end is not over 150 is it, i doubt it as i red somewhere that no suburu has had that 150 mph top end (without mods inc new ones) but evos can get to it! (just)

how much do they go for these sti type r? are parts a knightmare to get hold of?
0-100 12.5 is bloody quick but cant a evo 6 hits 0-100 in 11.7 (under 12)
0-100 in the 3.0 M3 is 13.5

thanks this is helpfull
Old 13 May 2002, 05:28 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

i have an evo 4 mate its excellent, if u stay near glasgow i will take u out in mines, evo 5 has the best looksmate but gonna buy the evo 5 bumper soon and wheel arches u can get it under 800 pounds or less. good luck their is a guy selling one at mlr for 12000 but look in topmarques u will get it for 10000 with everything done to it but get it checked out by the aa, coz evos r expensive for parts
Old 13 May 2002, 06:31 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Mozzer,

NOt wanting to start another mines better than yours at all.

Std EVo 6 doesnt hit 100 in 11.7. I'm afraid you have been looking at the CCC modded EVO 5 and 6 mules used for road tests a few years ago. Point was proven when more powerful EVO extremes and RS Sprints were tested slower than the std EVOs!

EVO Mag has more realistic test figures for EVOs and Scoobs. Std EVO 6 has BHP/ton of 198 P1 scoob which weighs 1283kg has bhp/ton figure 215. Saying that EVOs have more torque. In reality there is v little in it between a P1 and EVO 6. Type R may be fractionally quicker though due to shorter gearing.

Tractor,

According to what I have read a P1 shouldnt really produce any different output figures running on UK SUL to a Type R.

Dont dismiss the STi scoobs too quickly!Good luck whatever you choose.
Old 13 May 2002, 06:36 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Did you know my Dads a black belt at Judo.... and he used to teach it too!

Rich
Old 13 May 2002, 09:00 PM
SUNDAY DRIVER
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys guys.I live in the countryside in N.I.-in fact in the 2.5 years ive had my wrx I've only been on a motorway 5 times(take the wifes deisel Xsara estate for long hauls!) and my drive to work is 6 miles A-roads and 7 miles B-roads.I also live close to the border of Eire where SUL is about 69p a litre!.Trouble is there are NO Evo 4's about to get a drive in so I may be going in a bit blind??
Old 13 May 2002, 10:59 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Have you asked on the Evo forumn yet??

Rich.
Old 14 May 2002, 12:32 AM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

i didnt know about a sti type r, the top end is not over 150 is it, i doubt it as i red somewhere that no suburu has had that 150 mph top end (without mods inc new ones) but evos can get to it! (just)
Now then, I was off to germany with a mate in a evo 5 I was in my 95 wrex. On the autobahns we both went for it I hit 155 in the scoob and he passed me easily upto 160 with more to go acording to him. When i let off my car started knocking and the engine was fuducked. Game over.

IMHO you should go out and test drive one, decide for yourself.

As for me i have money in the bank and am looking at a nice 5 at the weekend.
Old 14 May 2002, 10:24 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

IMHO the evo 4 is the best looking of the lot go for it they are much rarer than scoobs . You picked the wrong place to ask really Good luck and hope you find a nice one.
Old 14 May 2002, 11:32 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
SundayDriver.

I currently have the same dillemma. This post has been of real interest to me. Hopefully I will be test driving both EVO4 and STI4 & R, this weekend.
Old 14 May 2002, 12:19 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

we r in the same boat my friend, dont forget the M3, i know it dont look nowhere as good as the evo4 or the impreza But my cousin had one for 2 years and it was solid, nothing went wrong apart from a blown bulb.

where do i find an evo 4 or sti type r in hertfordshire? i bet there arnt any! not that ive seen anyway!!

how much are sti type r?
Old 14 May 2002, 02:27 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mozza, you have mail.
Old 14 May 2002, 03:49 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I have a MY99 Type R, got it a couple of months ago.

It cost me £13,500 and has few mods, full exhaust system, manifold, air induction, LINK ECU, brakes, wheels etc. (this is to give you some idea what they cost). It seems quick to me, 319Bhp at 7250Rpm, 150Mph at Power Engineering on their rolling road.

I have never been in a EVO so couldn't comment on them. Just from my limited expiereance.
Old 14 May 2002, 06:20 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Had both a Modified WRX and now have a standard Evo 4.
Evo feels quicker in takeoff and round corners, AYC helps
Top speed i would put with my WRX(who uses top speed anyway on the road??)
WRX had loads of lowdown lag,you had to really kane it to get anywhere.Evo 4 has almost zero lag,shortshift gear at 4500rpm and still wave bye to most cars on the roadtake it to 7000 and its something else

Got sick of seeing so many scoobys on the roads they were getting as common as mondeos ,so i got a EVO 4 in metallic Blue,Never seen another one in this colour on the road

Take them both for a test drive.We will see you soon on the MLR
Old 14 May 2002, 08:21 PM
SUNDAY DRIVER
Scooby Regular

Thanks again guys for your comments.
The rarity factor is certainly a big priority-it was the same when I had my Integrale beforehand-I drove it for 2 years and never met another one!.Reliability just let it down unfortunately.My cars in Autotrader this week,so fingers crossed in the next couple of weeks I'll be able to go on a 4 hunt-over to the mainland most probably.I'll let you know how I get on.
SD.
Old 15 May 2002, 11:34 AM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

DON'T GO FOR A EVO4. I have it from one of the top tunerss in evos that 4'ss are not worth jack. He described the pistons as "chocolate" and urged me not to give a second look to a 4!!

I am looking for a 5 anyway, if i were you i'd save the extra and get a 5. Ehich he says are a totally different car internally to the 4.

Just IMO and a well respected tuner.
Old 15 May 2002, 11:48 AM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

tractor, ive not revieved the email.

really, i didnt think the intertnals were different, just thought the 5 had bigger intercooler and different breaks and body mods.
Old 15 May 2002, 11:56 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Price wise there is a bigger gap between a 4 and a 5 that there is between a 5 and a 6.

4's can sell from £9k, but 5's dont seem to start until £15k and 6's (there are more of them) from £17k.
Old 15 May 2002, 12:06 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The 5, 6 and 7 are basically the same engines with minimal difference, the piston on a 6 has a oil feed through the piston to cool the crown! Though this is yet unproved as a major breakthrough. I don't know the in's and out's of evo's yet as i'm still looking into it. Once I pick my yellow 5 up next week i will get stuck in.

Just trust me when i say save for a 5.
Old 15 May 2002, 12:10 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Thus is why 4's are so cheap! Do be carefull though when buying one as i heard last night of a fellow that came into a respected tuners. It was claimed to be a E6, the fellow brought it in as it didnt "feel" right. Upon inspection the guys were horifyed to find it was a evo 4 with the arches, bumpers etc etc put on!

What a nightmare. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Evo4