Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Used Vans

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2012, 07:23 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Vans

I'm thinking of getting a used van to cart my hog roasting oven around in. I'd appreciate it if people with experience of driving vans could tell me which models they have, which they avoid and any common problems.

Ideally, I'd like something I could stand up inside, plus fit out with shelving.

I like the VW Transporter, though the seem a little small.

I've driven Transits before, but I've been told the latest model has issues.

The Renault/Vauxhall? For dome reason I suspect they would have issues.

There must be some other alternatives too.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 23 May 2012, 08:46 PM
Dave-W-
Scooby Regular

got 3 x astra vans and 2 x vivaro's for my buisness the vivaro's seem really good had no major issues on either of them
Old 23 May 2012, 09:21 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Must be some Black Maria's knocking around on the cheap...

Old 23 May 2012, 09:23 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

whats your budget ?
Old 23 May 2012, 09:54 PM
stonefish
Scooby Regular

I have got a LDV Maxus 120/3.5 Lwb Hi-Top and the thing has been bombproof, 80k of window fitter abuse and rarely serviced but it just keeps going loads of power and handles very well..

I have an Iveco 52plate aswell which can be lethal in the bad weather and drives like an old truck..

Im running to and from work in a astra van mk4 at the moment, nice place to be, goes well handles good but not much room, you can get them with bench seat (bonus). Mpg about 50-60 1.7cdti.

I had a Vivaro, my worst buy by far cost me lots, injector problems managment light on all the time. But then i did buy the 85psi 5speed model with 100k on it.. they do drive well thou if you get the right one ( low mileage 100psi 6speed) I only had for 2 months had no faith in it.

Critroen relay is a good one.. (like the maxus but slightly better kitted out in the cabin)
Old 23 May 2012, 10:39 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I may be a short ****, but I wouldn't be able to stand up in a Astravan!

Budget is undecided.
Old 23 May 2012, 10:47 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

For what it's worth, I always had Transit Connects.
Great vans and nothing ever went wrong.

No good for you though, as you can't stand up in them.
I was just saying, like.....

Don't forget if you're not VAT registered you'll have to pay that on top of the price, unless you find a private sale (which are like hens teeth).
Old 23 May 2012, 11:09 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

if you are buying something rubbish like vauxhall/citreon/nissan or transit just go and buy a new one on 0% they are all very cheap, LDV absoloute pile of junk at any age (which explains why they went bankrupt), I would go with VW transporter or if you need bigger go for a sprinter.
Old 24 May 2012, 07:44 AM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
if you are buying something rubbish like vauxhall/citreon/nissan or transit just go and buy a new one on 0% they are all very cheap, LDV absoloute pile of junk at any age (which explains why they went bankrupt), I would go with VW transporter or if you need bigger go for a sprinter.
I have to disagree there old chap, i have a maxus and its been an outstanding van, and at 2-2.5k for an 06plate how can you go wrong, these things have the euro 4 engine in them that the london taxis use and they all seem to do millions of miles,
so for value and reliability i would have to say the maxus
Old 24 May 2012, 08:39 AM
Wild Thing
Scooby Regular

All vans above you are not going to stand up in for any length of time tbh. My advice would be to buy the like of a transit/sprinter/transporter/crafter chasis cab with a small box body on the back. You can sometimes pick these up ex BT and they often have a lightweight tailift to save you busting a ball loading and unloading your hog roaster.
Old 24 May 2012, 09:29 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by addi monster
I have to disagree there old chap, i have a maxus and its been an outstanding van, and at 2-2.5k for an 06plate how can you go wrong, these things have the euro 4 engine in them that the london taxis use and they all seem to do millions of miles,
Maxus is meant to be a great van. The issue LDV had is developing the thing cost them so much it bankrupted them but the end product was really good.

Dad always had Transits, no issues at all with it, plus you get the quick clear screen although sounds like you have more of a summer thing going on!

Also, sure fufth gear did a track test, Transit v Merc Sprinter and the Transit won easy!

Check auction sites though. My mate bought an ex-VOSA inspection van which had been used for diesel dipping and it was fully racked out, even had a sink etc so people could wash their hands. Hardly any miles on it and just being changed at five years old simply because that's how they like to waste money in the public sector.

5t.
Old 24 May 2012, 06:31 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

The transits of the last few years with the tdci engines are very good, I regularly drive a 115bhp model and its great. Will do everything and more,than a VW but much better value for money.

The Volkswagon transporters tend to be way over-priced on the used market as they,re seen as "trendy" and popular with surfers/wanabees etc.
Old 24 May 2012, 07:30 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I use a high top Renault Trafic van and I think its great, it drives like a car and it has about 6ft 4" head hieght in the back of the van.
Old 24 May 2012, 08:48 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I've bought a Mercedes Vito as a tow car, got too say I love it TBH, it's the 111 LWB CDI remapped to 140(ish) BHP with 280LB/FT of torque, almost drives like a car and I get around 520 miles per tank full. Have heard of certain ones having problems with injectors but so far it's been faultless.
Old 25 May 2012, 05:08 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Next years Transit looks interesting. It appears much more car-like inside the cabin. It reminds me a lot of the current shape Fiesta and Focus.
Old 25 May 2012, 06:53 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by addi monster
you may have convinced yourself that the maxus is good but I am sorry but you live in some weird third dimension! A tyre place had one near me, everything had broke or fallen off with in 6 months speedo, door handles bumper window winders. I tried one in our car park and it was soo bad it was untrue it was like it was made from a spare parts bin of random vehicles
Old 25 May 2012, 08:21 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I service and repair a lot of vans, most commonly..

Transit
Vivaro
sprinter
Crafter
Berlingo
Caddy
Connect
Partner
Astra

They all have their problems but the one I'd buy would be the transit, have to be 6 speed though.
Old 25 May 2012, 10:36 PM
harp
Scooby Regular

I have an old transit myself, Y reg long wheel base and mid roof. It's a good reliable old van and nice to drive. I can walk around in the back if crouched over a bit.

For work i drive a 59 plate Transit long wheel base high roof. thats the biggest one you get and i can walk around in the back no probs (i'm 6' 4") Really good van to drive and plenty enough power (115bhp version). Work also have Renault masters, personally i find them horrible to drive in comparison to the transit and awful inside the cab.

I've previously driven an ldv maxxus, 07reg. It was horrendous, the 1997 sprinter i drove at the time too was a far better van than it and it was hanging to bits!!

My personal choice would be a mk7 transit

Kev
Old 26 May 2012, 12:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Transporter if you can afford it, or a Transit if you don't mind being labeled a Gypsy.
Old 26 May 2012, 08:55 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Afford to buy, to lease or the upkeep? To be honest, once the van is vinyl-wrapped it won't look like the run of the mill van anyway.

I like the Transporter, I just think it's too small.
Old 26 May 2012, 10:49 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Afford to buy, to lease or the upkeep? To be honest, once the van is vinyl-wrapped it won't look like the run of the mill van anyway.

I like the Transporter, I just think it's too small.
You get them in LWB AFAIK.
Old 27 May 2012, 05:31 PM
Scooby Senior

I've just got rid of my renault trafic 1.9dci 100, was faultless. You'd need a high roof to stand up in it though.

Have now got a mk7 transit lwb med roof 145 petrol/lpg. I can just stand up in it at 5'10". Would have no probs standing in a high roof.

I wouldn't get a van bigger than you may need as they can be a pain to park, I now take up 2 spaces with the length and will be getting a car to use when I don't need to take the van
Old 27 May 2012, 10:02 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

for the last 8 years i used transits ranging from 85 to 140. i'd have them anytime.

i now drive a vivarro and hate it
Old 28 May 2012, 01:00 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
You get them in LWB AFAIK.
Several of my friends have them in both variants, there isn't that much difference between the two.
Old 29 May 2012, 07:52 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a t4 transporter 4x4 which is probably older than you are after at 15 yrs old, and I can't fault it, it's done 245000 km and still going strong, just put some big off road tyres on it, and its even better, people put discovery wheels on them and now i know why.

I have had a toyota hi ace before and could not fault that in 72000 miles only had a set of pads and 2 sets of tyres.