Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MY ASTRA VAN

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2012, 09:12 PM
ozbod1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY ASTRA VAN

bit bored today as im off work today due to my ill van....its a 2002 astra 1.7dti...i have had it maybe 6 years i check oil/water weekly, yesterday to my horror the expansion tank was empty, its never used a drop of either in all the time. so after a quick look i found the leak coming from the metal coolant pipe that runs under the turbo, i do my own servicing etc but im limited so i will get my mate to fix it as it looks a bitch of a job....anyhow thats not the story i was a bit annoyed that she let me down-sort of as im still using it but nothing major with a top up needed now and again....anyhow ive just been looking and i bought it @ 78k it now has 221k in that time it has had 1x cambelt/waterpump i x battery 3x4 tyres front discs twice front pads x 4 rear pads x2 im pritty sure that comes to less than a grand, on top of that ive changed the oil and filters every 10k myself....the engine is still rock solid the rear shocks need replacing and it could do with another cambelt...its never brokedown or failed to start...sometimes its a mess inside as i use it for everything work/dogs ive even been off roading in the snow....over the past 6 months ive been toying with buying a new/er van but after looking what its cost in 6 years and 140k ive decided i love my astra-van.....joke is when i bought it friends were telling me they arnt too good but i think that has been proved wrong by now....its never actually had an engine part as such, i also bought it cheap at the time-bit of a gamble if im honest i bought it at auction ex nhs no history only 1 key etc....well its still got no history and still got the one key....sorry for boring you about my van.
Old 20 March 2012, 09:14 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i quite like my dog, except when he farts
Old 20 March 2012, 09:30 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

You've done well.

They do have there problems though, the ecu on top of the engine is rather prone, but other than that they are pretty solid vans, just usual wear and tear bits (clutch, cambelt, brakes etc).

The older ones were even better....well apart from the body rust.
Old 20 March 2012, 09:42 PM
ozbod1
Scooby Regular

never had ecu issue but heard the same....thing is i was really comparing it to cars ive had in terms of expense its a joke, most but not all of the time ive had a car too, ive just bought 4 good tyres for the scoob, new brakes and had a clutch which cost the same as the astra has in 6 years and a lot of mileage...ok the 75bhp under the bonnet isnt quite on par as the scoob but often sit on the motorway at speed....shes a peach except for the leak....
Old 20 March 2012, 09:46 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Common for fuel pumps too.
Old 20 March 2012, 10:20 PM
ozbod1
Scooby Regular

are we talking the newer cdti or dti? just asking as mine really has never missed a beat....mines isuzu 1.7 engine?