Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2012, 02:17 PM
Gaz7612
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E46 M3 or Monaro?

Hi all
Thinking about changing my car.
At the minute I've got a 2005 2.0 Impreza STI with stage 1 mods (about 330/340 BHP)

Looking to either get a 2003 E46 M3 coupe or a 5.7 monaro.

Does anyone have any idea what these to are like compared to my current car?

Many thanks Gary
Old 27 February 2012, 02:36 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Both lovely cars to drive and both similar power to yours but rear wheel drive fun! My preference would be for the later Monaro VXR as its more rare and gets more attention! Also cracking value for money these days!

Had a bit of a race with an E46 M3 yesterday in my 334/381 06 wrx and left it for dust!
Old 27 February 2012, 02:48 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The 6.0VXR is a better drive: Better engine (power and MPG), brakes (well, still not great, but better), and tweeked handling. Although its is adorned with a rather stupid and unfornatate nasty quality bodykit and fake nostrils. And the nail in the coffin is it has a useless boot (they moved the fuel tank ), completely ruined the car for me because it was useless for road trips.

The ideal Monaro IMO would be 5.7 upgraded to late VXR spec (brakes+suspension+engine etc). That way you get the subtle looks and a huge boot with the performance to match..

E46 M3 doesn't handle properly on anything but a smooth road IMO. Nice car, but on my favoute bumpy backroad it was not nice to push round on bumpy bends, where a Monaro VXR doesn't bat an eyelid (well, excluding right foot induced oversteer ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 February 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 27 February 2012, 02:48 PM
Gaz7612
Scooby Regular

I think both cars are very different to my current car. Both been smoother with totally different power delivery.

I can accept they both might be slower than my STI.

The VXR's are still holding there money a lot better than the 5.7's for good reason I'm sure. Its hard enough finding a 5.7 never mind a VXR lol
Old 27 February 2012, 02:50 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Curve ball but why not the later vxr8
Old 27 February 2012, 02:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

VXR8: ugly as sin?
Old 27 February 2012, 02:56 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

And… You will just love the noise the Monaro VXR makes! Makes the M3 exhaust rattle sound a little gay!
Old 27 February 2012, 03:05 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

VXR8 is much nicer looking than Monaro IMHO. That said, it's pretty bad from the back.

I'd probably go for a Monaro out this lot just for something a little different. Get an aftermarket (loud) exhaust on it though
Old 27 February 2012, 04:15 PM
Gaz7612
Scooby Regular

I do like the monaro idea.

I've heard so many horror story's about M3's and floors cracking plus many other failures. But dont seem to hear much about Monaros good or bad
Old 27 February 2012, 06:10 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

VXR8 supercharged..... Yes please
Old 27 February 2012, 06:20 PM
1999wagon
Scooby Regular

I looked at both cars and decided next for me is a vxr8 or monaro. that sound!
Old 27 February 2012, 06:40 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anger
VXR8 supercharged..... Yes please
2nd that
Old 28 February 2012, 06:12 AM
Gaz7612
Scooby Regular

Cant really stretch to a VXR8 only really got about 9.5k to play with
Old 28 February 2012, 04:15 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cant comment on the m3 vs monaro, but subaru to m3 certainly feels like a step up. Performance wise id imagine it would be about the same. a lot more rewarding to drive, and totally different power delivery which might make it feel slower.

I dont regret going scoob > m3.

Monaro could be fun tho!

Last edited by scoobyc; 28 February 2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 28 February 2012, 04:36 PM
Gaz7612
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyc
cant comment on the m3 vs monaro, but subaru to m3 certainly feels like a step up. Performance wise id imagine it would be about the same. a lot more rewarding to drive, and totally different power delivery which might make it feel slower.

How did you find a M3 day to day?
Old 28 February 2012, 05:04 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

VXR8 all day long

Nothing wrong with the rear end, much prettier than the stock Holden Commodore imho

VXR8 is basically an HSV R8, when I finally save up enough for mine, it will be rebadged as an HSV

Shame they never took the Coupe 60 project to production a cross between a Monaro and the Commodore.

Lovely

Old 28 February 2012, 05:13 PM
Gaz7612
Scooby Regular

VXR8 is a great car just a little out of my price range
Old 28 February 2012, 10:24 PM
Herbie.
Scooby Regular

Monaro's are horrible to drive. Sold mine on after 5 month.

Suspension is far too soft, gear change is horrid and the steering is rubbish.
Old 28 February 2012, 10:25 PM
scooby0809
Scooby Regular

Just sold my monaro vxr back to the dealer i bought it from, he collected it this morning, nice car the 5.7vxr is very rare only 22 in red made, mine had supercharger to 535hp at 7psi could go a lot more but quick enough lol, rip-shifter, AP racing brakes all round,pedders handling kit, full wortec exhaust including headers. its on auto trader already will miss it but fancy going classic ford with bbf power
Old 28 February 2012, 10:33 PM
Gaz7612
Scooby Regular

Think I've set my sights on M3 just need to sell my car now!!!!
Old 28 February 2012, 10:40 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
And… You will just love the noise the Monaro VXR makes! Makes the M3 exhaust rattle sound a little gay!
This. One went past me & it crackled! Sounded amazing.

TX.
Old 29 February 2012, 10:49 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
VXR8 all day long

Nothing wrong with the rear end, much prettier than the stock Holden Commodore imho

VXR8 is basically an HSV R8, when I finally save up enough for mine, it will be rebadged as an HSV

Shame they never took the Coupe 60 project to production a cross between a Monaro and the Commodore.

Lovely
IMO I find the HSV bolt-on body bits on the VXR8 is what makes it so hideous, a Commodore SS V looks far classier. Instead of looking like its just driven through the ripspeed section in Halfords The Monaro VXR has the same issue, but nostrils excepting pulls it off (just), although the bodykits HSV fitted to it aren't nice quality. From working on it, it looks like UK-bound Monaro VXRs were firstly produced as standard cars and then had all the HSV body bits added post-production.

For example, on the last of the Monaro 6.0VXRs they drilled 2" holes in the rear wings to allow enough adjustment so the spoiler tips can align properly with the boot spoiler (leaving unpainted bare metal round the drilled holes), and they also re-used the standard bumper mounts which struggle to take the weight of the heavier HSV bumpers, so never align properly to the bodywork - what a bodge! I spent a fair few hours on getting the gaps right on what was my brand new car (dealers fobbed me off ).

I think I'm just not a fan of HSV's body styling and quality which Vauxhall insist on fitting to the UK imports. The only exception is the HSV Grange which is more classy over crassy.

But a Coupe 60...I'd buy one tomorrow if they made one, stunning

Last edited by ALi-B; 29 February 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 29 February 2012, 11:16 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

The only other problem with the Monaro can be the wait for genuine panels should you or somebody actually bend it! Had to wait months just to get a wing in the country! Very frustrating!

And I wish it had a different badge on the steering wheel rather than a massive Vauxhall badge you have to stare at!
Old 29 February 2012, 11:41 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gaz7612
How did you find a M3 day to day?
M3 is epic day to day.

You gotta understand that the M3 is a different Type of car than a subaru.

Its basically a really really good all round. its not going to rip your face off with pace, or be as comfy as an sclass. But what it does deliver is great comfort, toys, looks prestige, more performance than can really be used on the road with an excellent and engaging chassis.

I dont think there is really anything for the money that comes close to an M3. The monaro sounds good, but when i was researching it seems more of a straight line monster than being engaging and fun like the M.

SMG on the m3 is also very very good. its not DCT but i would pay a premium for it. Especially if used day to day. You might not like it on a test drive, but give it a month for you to get used to it, and for it to get used to you, and it will come alive when pushing on.

Reliability of the m3 is excellent. Yes there is a subframe issue. Currently BMW are still fixing them for free. You can also get reinforcement resin injected for around 400 as a preventative measure.

It doesnt handle bumps great, but i never had any issues going for it on the b-roads. Get an 04 onwards and you will have M-Track mode on your ECU which can be enabled. This is the CSl traction control setting which allows a little slip before killing the power.

Last edited by scoobyc; 29 February 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 29 February 2012, 12:20 PM
Gaz7612
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyc
M3 is epic day to day.

You gotta understand that the M3 is a different Type of car than a subaru.

Its basically a really really good all round. its not going to rip your face off with pace, or be as comfy as an sclass. But what it does deliver is great comfort, toys, looks prestige, more performance than can really be used on the road with an excellent and engaging chassis.

I dont think there is really anything for the money that comes close to an M3. The monaro sounds good, but when i was researching it seems more of a straight line monster than being engaging and fun like the M.

SMG on the m3 is also very very good. its not DCT but i would pay a premium for it. Especially if used day to day. You might not like it on a test drive, but give it a month for you to get used to it, and for it to get used to you, and it will come alive when pushing on.

Reliability of the m3 is excellent. Yes there is a subframe issue. Currently BMW are still fixing them for free. You can also get reinforcement resin injected for around 400 as a preventative measure.

It doesnt handle bumps great, but i never had any issues going for it on the b-roads. Get an 04 onwards and you will have M-Track mode on your ECU which can be enabled. This is the CSl traction control setting which allows a little slip before killing the power.

Thank you for taking your time writing this, I've made my mind up thats for sure.
I really should of got myself a M3 instead of getting the Impreza a year ago, oh well we live and learn.
Old 29 February 2012, 01:18 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by ALi-B
IMO I find the HSV bolt-on body bits on the VXR8 is what makes it so hideous, a Commodore SS V looks far classier. Instead of looking like its just driven through the ripspeed section in Halfords The Monaro VXR has the same issue, but nostrils excepting pulls it off (just), although the bodykits HSV fitted to it aren't nice quality. From working on it, it looks like UK-bound Monaro VXRs were firstly produced as standard cars and then had all the HSV body bits added post-production.

For example, on the last of the Monaro 6.0VXRs they drilled 2" holes in the rear wings to allow enough adjustment so the spoiler tips can align properly with the boot spoiler (leaving unpainted bare metal round the drilled holes), and they also re-used the standard bumper mounts which struggle to take the weight of the heavier HSV bumpers, so never align properly to the bodywork - what a bodge! I spent a fair few hours on getting the gaps right on what was my brand new car (dealers fobbed me off ).

I think I'm just not a fan of HSV's body styling and quality which Vauxhall insist on fitting to the UK imports. The only exception is the HSV Grange which is more classy over crassy.

But a Coupe 60...I'd buy one tomorrow if they made one, stunning
I was surprised they didn't just ship a load of SS V's over, even some SV6's and rebadge them, by bringing in the HSV you don't just get the body styling upgrades, you get engine brake suspension and steering upgrades, I love the rear lights on the HSV, probably because the SSV and SV6 were so common in Oz.

Vauxhall are now selling the E3 series, even tackier with extra scoops driving lights and a horrible rear end, but on the upside they are now selling the Gts and the Clubby over here, aint cheap mind......

The Grange is an old peoples home with a V8 strapped inside it.
Old 29 February 2012, 02:01 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

The Uber rare W427, only 137 built.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJqZe...0bRVAAAAAAAABw
Old 29 February 2012, 07:54 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Never driven a Monaro but I've had plenty of scoobs and other stuff, currently have an E46 M3 on 2003 plate. For the £9.5k mine cost about 7 months ago there was nothing else on the market that ticked as many boxes.

Compared to your scoob I expect the power delivery will make it feel slower but they are deceptively quick and love to rev, 8250 red line I think. Low down torque is poor so get caught in wrong gear and you could find other cars ahem "leaving you for dust" but driven properly you should keep up with nearly anything at sensible speeds.

My friend has SMGII model which works ok when pushing on but isn't great when driving around town, I opted for manual which I prefer so I'd recommend you try both if you haven't already.

Build quality is good as you'd expect from a BMW but these are getting on for 9 years old so there will be a few niggles. Stereo has played up on mine few times but was fixed by removing fuse, if it goes completely it's about £850 to replace from BMW I've also had to replace top mounts on rear suspension and an 02 sensor but nothing major.

The only negatives I can think of is having to wait an eternity to get out of junctions as everyone instantly assume you're a **** for driving a bimmer
Old 02 March 2012, 06:18 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris singleton

The only negatives I can think of is having to wait an eternity to get out of junctions as everyone instantly assume you're a **** for driving a bimmer

Yes i couldnt believe the way people changed when i drove my bmw for the first time. People go out of their way to cut you up.

For the first 6 months i put up with it, now i have caved. If everyone expects i drive like a tawt then i might as well. Much happyer now and get everywhere much quicker. lol.

Yes consumables on the M3 is major in the wallet department. And as said, they have just dropped into the cheap category and so some will have been abused big time. Took me 6 months for me to find a mint car, but it is doable.

Mechanical weak points:
Rear springs, 40k, 90 each, or 200 for eibach/intrax which are better
rtabs, 40k, 80 quid + about 2.5hrs fitting.
Brake disks, 40k, 300 for both +pads n fitting
LCAB/Wishbones, 40k, 440+fitting
alternator, 40k, 180+ fitting
subframe, any milage, free to about 6 grand, preventative about 400
SMG pump failure, any milage, 2k
Battery, 40k, 120
Salmon relay/bonnet sensors, any milage, tenner
heated/pump in seats, wiring loom usually, any milage, free (rewire) to £400 for new pump&loom assembley.
Rear bumper droop, any milage, £5 for new clips
Milky Alloys 19's, any age, £200 refurb
Insp I - 300
Insp II - 500-1300
oil - 200
19" tyres - 750 upwards.

If your going for a moon and back, you will need to look at crank seals, gearbox seals, headgaskets and diff seals.

Basically its a big heavy mega fast and often abused car. So everything which is related to that will wear quickly, and come with already high BMW premium plus an M Tax.

Def cost a LOT more to run than a scoob. Just buy wisley!
Old 04 March 2012, 08:02 AM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

gaz i could be up for a deal on my 54 reg m3 for your subaru
pm me if your intrested :-)

stu

Quick Reply: E46 M3 or Monaro?