Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

What would you do????....Advice please lads

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2002, 03:23 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

My 22 year old son has an 1.6 astra sxi ok not a scoob but thats all he can insure for the Mo, He bought the car in June 01 and it has been back to the dealer more times than I care to remember, It was a Vauxhall demostrtor and it had done 3,000 miles when he bought it, My son is a paint technician in a body shop so he knows his stuff shortly after buying the car he noticed small pin ***** like holes in the paintwork so lo and behold it went back to Vauxhalls to be done, it took them 3 attemps to get it right, but in doing so they got paint on his new alloys and their was overspray in the boot area, so back it went to have this put right but it still came back with overspray on his alloys has you can imagine he went mental, we tried to reject the car but all they would say is we have to put it right, finally they got it right, It went in for a knocking noise check (driveshaft) and they could find nothing wrong, well on Saturday he and his girlfriend were going shopping when has he pulled out of our close where we live the driveshaft snapped, As you can understand he is gutted, So this morning I have told Vauxhall that we no longer want the car and they told me I can't do that, and all they would do is repair it under the warrenty, sorry to go on guys but if someone can help me I would apprchiate it.
Thanks
Colin
Old 29 April 2002, 04:06 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

b4st4rds! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] not what u need eh. Theres not alot u can do as they keep offering to fix it under warranty. But obviously that is not acceptable, due to the hassle its causing your son. So take it to Watchdog, trading standards etc, see if they can do anything for you.
Old 29 April 2002, 05:48 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Nasty stuff....

Technically your stuffed as their is no legal recourse once you have singed the agreement or paid ya cash, all they have to do is repair it (trust me i'm going through something v.similar).

However you know what they say about the sqeaky joint, it gets fixed first......shout, scream, sit on their forecourt and generally cause enough of a fuss and they will back down, failing that like the chap above said go the whole hog and go to Watchdog at this rate both our story's will be on the TV !!!! **** .....

Good luck and by the way it cost £50 for a solicitor to tell me they could do very little !!!

Cheers

Phill
Old 29 April 2002, 06:02 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Best to have a chat with Vauxhall UK rather than the dealer. Only they would be able to take the car back as a good will gesture.

Mark
Old 29 April 2002, 06:13 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks guys, We have been in touch with Vauxhall UK and they tell us it is up to the dealer to make the decsion about refund or replacement car As you say they take your money and take the **** but i have not given up yet.
Cheers
Colin
Old 29 April 2002, 06:13 PM
mashwrx
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear about your son's woes, is there some sort of Ombudsman that could investigate - I guess the other guy's would know if they have experience of this sort of thing...?

just a thought...good luck anyway
Old 29 April 2002, 06:18 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Scoob99,
When you buy a car it's like any other contract for the sale of goods. The goods have to be of satisfactory quality. The buyer is given a reasonable opportunity to reject them and claim a refund. It used to be the case that continuing to use a car was inconsistent with retaining your right to reject, so the longer you used it the less likely it was that you could reject it.
The advice that Phill has had that you're stuffed once you sign ain't right, IMHO.
It gets complicated once you complain and the car starts going in and out of the garage for repairs. How long has it been in/off the road since you bought it? The law says that a buyer is not deemed to have accepted goods merely because he asks for or alllows them to be repaired so you may have an argument. I would have to say that it's not a very strong one but it's certainly worth persevering and getting on to the manufacturer and using any other pressure you can exert.

Trending Topics

Old 29 April 2002, 08:12 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I had loads of problems with my Vauxhall dealer. But in there defense each problem was rectified at another attempt.

Basically scream shout and make sure they know your still there.

Regards the driveshaft, be handy if you could prove their negligence in not rectifying the problem when first bought to their attention. Letting you drive a car in an unroadworthy condition.

A had a £1000 astra a few years back, got it serviced, got the bill £300!!!! Plus it drove awful, so bad in fact took it back the next day and the head mechanic took it out and said he couldn't let me drive it as it was unsafe!! Then found two of the jobs they did were wrong (failed MOT cos of them!). But like I say they put it right and gave me compensation.

Had problems with ford and nissan too!

Only cars I've not had a problem with are imports!!