Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

80k ish what would you buy GTR Porker ?

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2011, 09:30 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 80k ish what would you buy GTR Porker ?

Ok i have a mate who has lots of cash, not a drug dealer he just worked very very hard for the last 25 years, from a Joiner to now a Director of a Massive building firm thats worth over 50mIll. All this from a YTS

anyway as he doesnt have any hobbies apart from Cycling no gadgets no ps3 xbox nothing to burn money on, his 100k a year salary just goes into the bank, hes no mortgage no debt so in a good place

so he keeps going on about cars has his heart set on a carrera 2 and mentioned a GTR would be my choice but he bangs on about buts its a Nissan LOL, i just sigh and we go into this whole debate.

Now lets not start mud slinging my question is to you all

Take both cars

Carrera 2
Nissan GTR

1. Service costs on Both ? no figures just which is cheapist
2. MPG on Both ?
3. Daily Driver on Both

My view is id have GTR, but i know Porkers are very very good work horses, so i cannoy vouch for the GTR at all in this area and see it as a saturday car.

Anybody help me
Old 07 November 2011, 09:39 AM
pigSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had that kind of salary with no mortgage or debts, I would have both. And a Scoob.
Old 07 November 2011, 10:05 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

hehe but hes like that cos hes very very careful.

but i think hes had enough of me saying hes gonna be richist man in the graveyard.

its time he spent it
Old 07 November 2011, 10:35 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Being somewhat biased, tell him to test drive an Audi R8.
Old 07 November 2011, 10:35 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I can cover off the Porsche.

My 997 C2S cost me about £5k a year to run. That included fuel, insurance, tax, servicing, warranty, tyres, detailing etc etc. I did about 3,000 miles a year. Had it for 2 years and cost was about the same both years.

Very little went wrong, I had a problem with the heated rear screen. OPC Warranty sorted that.

Fuel wise, about 16-30mpg depending on traffic / road etc.
On a run on the motorway being gentle, I actually had 32mpg out of it over about 150 miles. On the other hand, in town, mid teens.

Its worth noting there is quite a waiting list on the new 911, so I would either get an order in ASAP or look at a late 997.2 C2S PDK. Another option, depending on budget is a 997.2 Turbo PDK. Should get into a nice low miles MY10 Turbo S for £90k... Very good car, running costs wont be that much more, 10% more ish due to tyres and brakes.

Not got a clue on the GT-R sorry, but I guess someone on here will.
Old 07 November 2011, 10:38 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Oh and I would avoid the C2, they dont re-sell as well and you can really feel the difference from the C2 to the C2S.
Old 07 November 2011, 10:41 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

is that the same with the 4 and 4s then ?

any disadvantages on the 4 i always liked the 4 as ive always been scared of rear wheel drive kicking out :/

Trending Topics

Old 07 November 2011, 11:39 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Depends what he wants, ones a proper performance car, the other is a Porsche.....
Old 07 November 2011, 11:47 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Does it need to be new?

If I was after a supercar, then I'd probably choose a used f430 or 997 turbo, but if new then either R8 or GTR.
Old 07 November 2011, 11:53 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Yes DRB he wants it to be his baby.

Im just wondering though would a GTR be as comfy/daily driver for leeds london over a porker.
Old 07 November 2011, 11:56 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Daily driver though... F430 if it was a weekend toy I agree.

Re the "4". The "2" will bite if your push it hard, but the PSM is very good and unless you are being very silly it will catch most slides. Most problems occur on cold roads, as the standard tyres dont like the cold.

The 4S vs the 4. Again, same applies really. The standard engines are good but they dont have that "edge" that the S engines have. The "S" will feel proper super car quick, where as the non S will still be quick but they dont have that "oh my god" factor. IMHO. The S is proper impressive from about 80 to 150mph.

I also prefer the non direct injection 3.8 over the newer gen 2 direct injection engine. But thats just me.
Old 07 November 2011, 12:16 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Hard to call - given what you describe of the individual I suspect the GT-R may not be for him.

C2S (make sure it is an S as said above) is a very quick car for general road use. It is easy to use and a general runabout as well as a performance car in hiding. The non-GT Porsches are also fabulous GT cars. They have such good suspension set ups and are very comfortable, stable and stress free to do huge journeys in comfort.

4S can be bought and given he is not really an experienced performance car nut he probably couldn't tell the difference. Personally it is too dull for me.

BUT these are great cars, 0-100 in under 10s and can driven like a Mini to the shops if needed.

I don't disagree that the GT-R is a phenomenal all out performance car - but I wouldn't want one as my first foray into the performance car arena.

I think he should also consider the XKR- S. Massive performance, easy to use, and not quite as big as the GT-R

Last edited by Trout; 07 November 2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07 November 2011, 12:49 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Not had the luxury of owning either, but sounds like the guy is a level headed guy and been fairly prudent over the years, and now looking for something to make him feel a little special and remind him why he does what he does.

For this reason I'd say the 911. Performance to one side, the residuals on any 911 are good compartively speaking, and it will feel special.
Old 07 November 2011, 01:10 PM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

New MY12 GTR details have just been released today with 550ps and a 0-62mph time of 2.84, 0-60mph of 2.72.......£75k

Incredible performance, incredible price. However, it is just a Nissan and I dont get the impression the chap wants out and out performance.

Hopefully Nissan are now making other manufacturers think long and hard about their pricing structures.
Old 07 November 2011, 01:41 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Mighty impressive figures there!
Old 07 November 2011, 02:43 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

The most impressive figure they are missing is the margin
Old 07 November 2011, 02:48 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

i dont think the its just a nissan argument cuts it anymore.

nissans were never particularly bad in comparison to what was on market at the time at similar prices.

some old porsches were monumentally bad, but at the time were not considered to be.

if badge snobbery is the deciding factor then it looks like porsche gets it.

but imo get a very good test drive in both and then decide - its the only real way he'll feel what he prefers best. you cant just decide froma picture and stats on a peice of paper.

altho it sounds as id he gets one and doesnt like it he could well affoard to change it lol, great position to be in

sounds more like he is just finding it hard to part which a significant lump of his hard earned lol
Old 07 November 2011, 02:51 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobEvo5
For this reason I'd say the 911...

...it will feel special.
This is one area where I would disagree - having had a brand new C4S for the weekend I really did wonder why someone would spend £90k on one - it was like being in a VW.

They are special cars but I am not sure the standard spec models feel that special without £10k spent in the options catalogue.
Old 07 November 2011, 03:03 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by pigSTi
If I had that kind of salary with no mortgage or debts, I would have both. And a Scoob.
Ditto, why does he even care about that stuff it's a tough call as the GTR is of course (much) faster but the C2 is subjectively the "better" car - looks (I love the look of the 997 C2S esp in dark grey), exclusivity, driving experience etc.

Flame suit on re the GTR drivers that post here

TX.
Old 07 November 2011, 04:49 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Director of a £50m company and he only earns £100k a year? Junior?

Bog standard Porsche's aren't special - turbo's either.

They are proper sports cars as opposed to the schoolboy's wet dream that is the GT-R.
Has he thought about a TT-RS at all?
Old 07 November 2011, 04:59 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

a few directors not just him Construction so they dont go silly Daft, has a lof of lets say other Schemes Bonus etc. Like Free 40k extensions and so forth.

I dont think he would go with any Audis apart from the R8, not that hes against them, there just like all other Audis though Nothing special, I suppose you could say that about a Porker.

Same for BMWs not 1 i can think of would make me look twice unless it was a Brabus or some pimped up X5, I like the Audi TT RS but for that Cash id even go Porker

I like stuff like this

but i have to admit i do like the GTR Black edition its awsome,

We went to Leeds JCT and some of the Porches there are nice, speciel editions etc with a little twist etc
Old 07 November 2011, 05:02 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

A Porsche c2 is a bloody great car and it sounds as though he doesn't 'get' the GTR. Many people don't.

As ever, drive everything - make your choice.
Old 07 November 2011, 05:39 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I was only joking about the TT-****.....

If I had £80k I'd still buy the two cars I've got - they both do a job, but very different ones.
They both also feel 'special' even though one's a derv and is quite frugal.

He doesn't need to spend it all on one car, does he?

Last edited by zip106; 07 November 2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07 November 2011, 06:06 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

He could save some money and get a Cayman R.
Old 07 November 2011, 06:16 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
He could save some money and get a Cayman R.
Very true.

But that doesn't give for bhp/quarter mile bragging rights in the pub like a TT-RS or GTR does!

Old 07 November 2011, 06:40 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I think he has got to completely chill out on running costs,servicing,insurance.

If you are going to buy an £80k,its going to be bloody expensive to run! You can either afford to do it or you can't

Not being party pooper here! Just go for what he fancies and enjoys.

Otherwise,diesel 3 series like the rest of us
Old 07 November 2011, 06:56 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Most German metal at £80k doesn't cost that much too run - also kind of irrelevant as they will all come with three year warranties then you will be onto the next thing.
Old 07 November 2011, 07:00 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

I have so many times 'nearly' bought a 997 2s or 4s but always talked myself out of it, as in my mind it's either a GT3 / GT3 RS or nothing.

Go the whole hog ..... It money better spent and residues will be kind to you as well.

Last edited by Wish; 07 November 2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07 November 2011, 07:26 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
I dont think he would go with any Audis apart from the R8, not that hes against them, there just like all other Audis though Nothing special, I suppose you could say that about a Porker.
The R8 is nothing like `all other Audi's`. Bit like saying a 911 is just another VW.

I also agree with Jef. The GT-R can't be ruled out just because it's a Nissan. The Nissan 370Z I had was a very good car. More toys as standard than any of it's rivals. And had the pace to keep them honest, or even beat them.

The GT-R is like a Subaru. You either want one or you don't. The exterior looks aren't great. No woman is going to swoon after your car. The interior is for the Playstation generation, and you can only have an Automatic.
Pound for pound, it is the best performance car on the planet. It's probably quicker than most Ferrari's, Lambo's etc. But again, you have to want one.

I don't think most middle aged men looking to spend £80-100k on a car will even consider one, unless they really want one. The German alternatives, which given they are not as fast A-B, have other things the GT-R doesn't. Looks, interior quality, ergonomics, and yes, the Badge. Not everything is about having the car that will get from A-B the quickest.

This is why probably all GT-R's are bought be those who really want a GT-R.

To the OP. I'd agree with Trout. Suggest the Jag XK-RS. Has the power to beat most things. Has the looks, the interior quality, and the everyday usability of a relaxed cruiser, or a back road Hooligan.
Old 07 November 2011, 07:27 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

80k will buy a nearly new Aston Martin or a extra 10k will buy a new Aston Martin Vantage.

Quick Reply: 80k ish what would you buy GTR Porker ?