Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Jag X-Type Estate 2.2D - Embracing old age ;)

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2011, 03:59 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Jag X-Type Estate 2.2D - Embracing old age ;)

Probably going to be in the market for an estate car at some point soon. Any thoughts on the Jaguar X-Type. I know it's a glorified Mondeo but for the money there seem to be some good ones around and you get all the toys etc. A diesel would probably make sense as I commute 40 miles a day. For example:

http://www.hiltongarage.co.uk/Used-C...OGModel=X-TYPE

I would of course be forced to offset this purchase by buying some sort of fast car for the weekends
Old 25 October 2011, 04:32 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Can't see the attraction myself. I'm pretty sure the usual suspects are a bit better. Drive one, see what you think.

If 'embracing old age' mean's no racing, and waftyness, then IMO the newer Citroen C5 is unbeatable. When my Alfa broke, the multi-franchise dealer loaned me a fairly basic spec'd 2.0 HDI 6 speed 120hp or something. 5 up and laden we went to North Yorkshire and it was simply AMAZING - very quiet squeak free (12k 12 month old loan car) lots of poke, indicated 50mpg and I didn't hang about on the A's and B road's - but most surprising was the sprung suspension (inferior to the hydraulic) it simply ironed everything out yet was very stable. It did understeer a bit on wet roundabouts though, and the steering while fine for normal driving is ridiculously light and detached which is fine for a vibration free ride but you are required to drive fairly normally.

I would take one over a Jag - certainly worth a go.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ther?logcode=p

Last edited by Andy M3; 25 October 2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 25 October 2011, 06:33 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

An even cheaper alternative ...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3247488.htm

Legacy Spec R - 2005 60k for £6k
Old 25 October 2011, 07:48 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Can't bring myself to love the Jags.Mind you,good price

I'd have one of these tomorrow for a cheap quick economical estate

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...11up?logcode=p
Old 25 October 2011, 08:58 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's lots of money for that age of car. Look towards a new shape Mondy. Fantastic quality / Space / Value
Old 25 October 2011, 09:45 PM
NEILLLLL
Scooby Regular

I'd go for a BMW530d estate . One on auto trader 56 plate with 85k for £7.5k. Good for 40 mpg .
Old 26 October 2011, 12:35 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

i bought a new mondeo- well 12 mth old- so £12.5k for a £25 k car. been a good day to day hack. its also absolutely huge inside.

heated front screen is great in this weather, as is the DAB. given I must pass 6 speed cameras on my way to work, speed speed speed is pretty irrelevant.

its ok looking at "bargains" but who on earth wants cars with 100k plus miles on ?

Trending Topics

Old 26 October 2011, 03:45 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Thornton

Would that not absolutely rape you on fuel?

I hired an Insignia a few weeks ago. Really really nice car. It was the CDTi SRI Wagon NAV.

If it's 7K then what about Skoda superb or something?

Couldn't really put 7K on an X Type.
Old 26 October 2011, 04:08 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
Can't see the attraction myself. I'm pretty sure the usual suspects are a bit better. Drive one, see what you think.

If 'embracing old age' mean's no racing, and waftyness, then IMO the newer Citroen C5 is unbeatable. When my Alfa broke, the multi-franchise dealer loaned me a fairly basic spec'd 2.0 HDI 6 speed 120hp or something. 5 up and laden we went to North Yorkshire and it was simply AMAZING - very quiet squeak free (12k 12 month old loan car) lots of poke, indicated 50mpg and I didn't hang about on the A's and B road's - but most surprising was the sprung suspension (inferior to the hydraulic) it simply ironed everything out yet was very stable. It did understeer a bit on wet roundabouts though, and the steering while fine for normal driving is ridiculously light and detached which is fine for a vibration free ride but you are required to drive fairly normally.

I would take one over a Jag - certainly worth a go.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ther?logcode=p
Don't do French cars

Nice but not very economical and the boxer diesel is shoite

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Can't bring myself to love the Jags.Mind you,good price

I'd have one of these tomorrow for a cheap quick economical estate

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...11up?logcode=p
Yeah it's one for consideration, either a Skoda Octavia or Superb estate and as a current Passat owner one of those in estate form is also quite nice.

Last edited by Coffin Dodger; 26 October 2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 26 October 2011, 04:15 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NEILLLLL
I'd go for a BMW530d estate . One on auto trader 56 plate with 85k for £7.5k. Good for 40 mpg .
There is something quite attractive about a big BMW estate and if it really will average 40 mpg then that's not bad. My main reservation is that most of them seem to be autos, not a problem in itself, but my boss has a 330D auto and has had the gear box re-built on it twice both times to the tune of several £k. That said he drive like a c*nt and/or may just be unlucky.

Originally Posted by Brun
That's lots of money for that age of car. Look towards a new shape Mondy. Fantastic quality / Space / Value
Originally Posted by austinwrx
i bought a new mondeo- well 12 mth old- so £12.5k for a £25 k car. been a good day to day hack. its also absolutely huge inside.

heated front screen is great in this weather, as is the DAB. given I must pass 6 speed cameras on my way to work, speed speed speed is pretty irrelevant.

its ok looking at "bargains" but who on earth wants cars with 100k plus miles on ?
Never really looked a Fords much before but the Mondeo is a nice bit of kit if not a little mundane. As mentioned high milers are no good to me, I know if it has spent its life trawling up and down the motorway then it won't be too worn out but you still just know you are going to get a big maintenance bill at some point.

Last edited by Coffin Dodger; 26 October 2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 26 October 2011, 04:40 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

What is the budget?

For similar money to the Jag, I doubt you'll get a nice E60 5 series.

A very late E46 330D manual touring? 6 speed and 204HP? 54 plate M Sport for £7 -8K odd??? I think I'll be getting a diesel, manual E46 next.

The insignia I hired is about £12-14K for the same trim. Only worth buying lower brands if they come with toys etc. I'd rather a Vauxhall with NAV, Bluetooth and psuedo sport trim than a poverty spec BMW (just says I bought a BMW for the sake of it)

Like this but a manual. Has to be late 53 onwards to get the 204HP 3L and 6 speed.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3328329.htm

Last edited by EddScott; 26 October 2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 26 October 2011, 04:48 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Can i just add my friend is going through is with his 130k E60 525d sport touring auto at the minute. Box failure, over £2k to put right, also swirl flap's got chewed up and caused some damage. Central locking is in-op, he's been told he needs half a wiring loom

Eyes wide open!!!
Old 26 October 2011, 06:16 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never really looked a Fords much before but the Mondeo is a nice bit of kit if not a little mundane. As mentioned high milers are no good to me, I know if it has spent its life trawling up and down the motorway then it won't be too worn out but you still just know you are going to get a big maintenance bill at some point.
Take a closer look - My Dad has the Titanium X TDCi 140. Looks good, really good interior and really (and i mean really) fantastic at eating the miles on the motorway while at the same time having an air of quality you are likely to find on a German saloon. Gonna try and have my Dad's @ mates rates
Old 26 October 2011, 06:32 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
What is the budget?

For similar money to the Jag, I doubt you'll get a nice E60 5 series.

A very late E46 330D manual touring? 6 speed and 204HP? 54 plate M Sport for £7 -8K odd??? I think I'll be getting a diesel, manual E46 next.

The insignia I hired is about £12-14K for the same trim. Only worth buying lower brands if they come with toys etc. I'd rather a Vauxhall with NAV, Bluetooth and psuedo sport trim than a poverty spec BMW (just says I bought a BMW for the sake of it)

Like this but a manual. Has to be late 53 onwards to get the 204HP 3L and 6 speed.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3328329.htm
204bhp & 6 speed started on 03/03. I used to have a 330d touring manual - the computer said 40mpg average - it was actually doing 35mpg but few long journeys. The auto is 5mpg worse. Not very big for an estate car but loads of torque - slow down to 15mph in third gear, take your foot off the brake and the car would speed up!
Old 26 October 2011, 08:55 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jaguar will be cheap for a reason and main thing will be very expensive servicing and parts will be over the top
Jag is baisically a posh mondo with double running costs

Skoda VRS estate in diesel would take some beating parts ,service and running costs are cheap and excellent build quality
Old 26 October 2011, 09:46 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
Jaguar will be cheap for a reason and main thing will be very expensive servicing and parts will be over the top
Jag is baisically a posh mondo with double running costs
You will find the opposite. Jag parts are cheaper than the equivalent part from ford. EGR valve for instance at jag is just over £100, eactly the same part at ford is over £200
Old 26 October 2011, 09:59 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

That was an unusually high miled Octavia i posted.

Found a bloody lovely black vRS diesel with not many miles right after we had forked out for a BMW 3 series.Would much prefer the Estate Octavia.Oh well,bought beemer now.

Always fancied an A4 Estate but again,Octavia would do it for me now.

can't knock the mondeo everyone talking about though!
Old 26 October 2011, 10:11 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
Would that not absolutely rape you on fuel?

Totally, my 90 mile daily round trip to work put paid to that idea sadly , until the Co gives me a fuel card A lot of car for little money, very well specced.

I was going to get one when we moved back from Oz, there was a guy in Sydney that lived near me and we often ran into each other on the way home from work of an evening and he often got the better of my 261bhp WRX for the first hundred yards, mind you there was a fair bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust when he planted his right foot, made me believe he ragged it everywhere

One of the best looking estates on the road imo, the 2010 model is absolutely hideous in comparison.
Old 27 October 2011, 10:55 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

204bhp & 6 speed started on 03/03. I used to have a 330d touring manual - the computer said 40mpg average - it was actually doing 35mpg but few long journeys. The auto is 5mpg worse. Not very big for an estate car but loads of torque - slow down to 15mph in third gear, take your foot off the brake and the car would speed up!
I'm going to be doing more miles in the new year son need something easier on fuel than my Jeep Cherokee. Its doing about 16mpg round town I get 200 miles from about £80.

Don't really want anything else and I'll have about 6K to spend max.
Old 27 October 2011, 11:09 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Okay possibly not the Jaguar then, it's all a bit hypothetical at the moment anyway as it won't be until next Spring that I'd really be in a position to purchase but it's good to look

So either a BMW 5 series tourer, 3L with a manual, but may not be very economical, some form of VAG estate with a turbo diesel engine e.g. Octavia/Superb/Passat/A4 etc. or a Mondeo. What about the original king of estate cars - Volvo or are they just disguised Mondeos too?

Oh yeah budget, don't want to spend loads, £6-8k perhaps, maybe up to £10k for the right car. Too much eats into the fast car fund (EVO or Scoob) though

Last edited by Coffin Dodger; 27 October 2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 27 October 2011, 12:13 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Sorry but just to point out that an X type is not a Jaguar, it's a Mondeo. Real Jaguars aren't available in estate format. As if putting a diesel in a Jaguar wasn't bad enough!
Old 27 October 2011, 03:52 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

I've been driving since the 80's and never ever had a Ford. I freeking hate them. always been a german fan.

But honestly, I looked at volvo's, audis, bmw's etc. buying my 12 mth old mondeo, bought me so much more car than all of those for the same money.

I was very surprised at the quality and all the toys: you have to get the titanium spec.

that said, I don't think its quite on a parr with german/jap stuff.

but it's buttons to run: i.e I have a service plan: £16 a month: all done and dusted. free MOT's etc.

did look at 12/13K 5 series bmw's. but then yr talking older cars, stacks of miles. most are not that special or spec'd up. lets be honest, its just another old bmw in the company car park. bloody hate 3 series, i think they are over rated and grotty little cars, unless it's a decent sports version. and then its still a pokey little box.

plus yr into bigger running costs.

don't know if I'd have another ford: but I'll keep this for another 4-5 yrs at least.

maybe volvo next, or I would love a legacy diesel, if only they had been about for £12.5 k with virtually no miles on when I wanted one.

skoda's- well my sister has had two octavia diesels now.

had major engine failures on both of them, so not for me.
Old 27 October 2011, 04:35 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austinwrx

skoda's- well my sister has had two octavia diesels now.

had major engine failures on both of them, so not for me.
Bloody German tat engines