Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

bmw e46 smg box

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2011, 06:20 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bmw e46 smg box

Been looking for a day to day driver and have looked at the mondeo st or 330ci.

As is the head says st but the heart has always wanted a 330ci. Been looking and obviously there is the choice of manual or auto but I have seen some have the SMG box from the factory. My forester is auto and I kind of like it as a daily driver when commuting but not sure how well it would work on the 330. What are your thoughts go manual or stick the auto route?

How responsive is the normal auto box?

But as for the SMG box

How good, reliable are these?
Any things to look out for?
Any idea of cost to fix?

Cheers
Old 02 September 2011, 06:58 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SMG box is very reliable. Its the same gearbox as the manual but has the gears changed/actuated for you.

If SMG pump goes probably 2k. Bad rep, however most SMG problems are either battery, alternator, salmon relay and a few other bits and bobs.

The SMG gearbox itself is brilliant. It takes a little getting used to, but once thats done and you go on a proper blast you will fall in love. it totally comes into a world of its own when pushing on.

You can get m3 for 10k these days. much more potent.

Dont know how SMGii would work in a 330?
Old 02 September 2011, 07:02 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Found this on m5board. Not sure how accurate it is: "I dont know too much about the 330i SMG except its not the same gearbox as the one in M3.. its much slower, but pretty good.. given the choice I would take the manual between those.."
Old 02 September 2011, 07:18 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

I had the m3csl.......the smg was awesome
As said the common fault is the salmon relay........£6 for a new one
I can honestly say that I could never change gear in a manual as quick as the smg does it

Off topic ish......I know where there is a mint m3 for £9k just had rear springs, rear bushes and full service
Old 02 September 2011, 11:17 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

A friend has a E46 M3 with the SMG and it is quite good but when turned up to the most aggressive gear change it gives a thud when you change up and the passengers **** themselves . We both agreed that it's no where near as good as the dct gearbox in my 335i.
Old 03 September 2011, 12:45 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Drove a E46 M3 SMG yesturday.

Horrible in every situation unless you are flooring it/driving it hard.

In normal driving/cruising its like your grandma is shifting gears (slow and not smooth). Same with manouvering - its like a learner driver who hasn't mastered clutch control. Stop start traffic isn't brilliant either.

Give me the manual any day. Followed by the auto. The SMG would drive me insane on a daily driver.
Old 05 September 2011, 04:20 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Drove a E46 M3 SMG yesturday.

Horrible in every situation unless you are flooring it/driving it hard.

In normal driving/cruising its like your grandma is shifting gears (slow and not smooth). Same with manouvering - its like a learner driver who hasn't mastered clutch control. Stop start traffic isn't brilliant either.

Give me the manual any day. Followed by the auto. The SMG would drive me insane on a daily driver.
sounds like you drove a dodgy example. Get it recalibrated. SMG also learns and adapts to the way you drive.
Old 05 September 2011, 07:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by scoobyc
sounds like you drove a dodgy example. Get it recalibrated. SMG also learns and adapts to the way you drive.

It was given the all clear on our Autologic.
Old 06 September 2011, 02:41 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

mine shows total clutch control. i can hold it on any hill, and creep forward inch by inch just like a manual. When the revs are low the changes are not that fast but super smooth, i doubt most people could even tell it changes gear, pump it up into s4 i find gives decent changes all round.

Get it recalibrated when dead cold, atleast 12 hrs without starting it, and ensure its on level ground. it will relearn the clutch bite point when the plates etc are stone cold. This improved mine no end, even when i didnt think there was anything wrong. Also reset the SMG learning by holding both paddles when moving. You can also flat shift for 20 odd miles once reset so it learns to slam the gears in quicker instead of it learning you are a slow cautious driver and slip the clutch a little.
Old 07 September 2011, 08:39 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Well there you go.

Manual; jump in and drive.
Coventional auto; jump in and drive.
SMGII: It appears that I have to wait until its stone cold on level ground, recalibrate, reset, readapt and then razz around for 20miles whilst it 'learns'. Then make up my mind on which S mode it works best in. What a palaver!

There was a great write up on another forum a few years back detailing all the pros and cons and annoying idiosyncrasies; I'll have to dig it out
Old 07 September 2011, 09:55 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Well there you go.

Manual; jump in and drive.
Coventional auto; jump in and drive.
SMGII: It appears that I have to wait until its stone cold on level ground, recalibrate, reset, readapt and then razz around for 20miles whilst it 'learns'. Then make up my mind on which S mode it works best in. What a palaver!

There was a great write up on another forum a few years back detailing all the pros and cons and annoying idiosyncrasies; I'll have to dig it out
Lol ok, as i said. my car drove fine before i recalibrated it. but it drove better once done. I think anyone with an issue with SMG either isnt willing or capable to drive one.

To the op. the only way for you to decide is to go drive the SMG 330i. and an SMG m3. See if you can get on with it. if its good enough for the legendary CSL i think its good enough for normal people.

Last edited by scoobyc; 07 September 2011 at 09:57 AM.