Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

S2000 who has had one?

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2011, 02:34 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 who has had one?

Sorry for the multiple threads of late, but I was pretty much decided on a Civic Type R until this morning a work colleague suggested having a look at a S2000.

It seems to tick all of the boxes apart from the rear seats, but we have a family car so this isn't as important than I first thought.

I have looked at a couple about 2002 for £5-6k ( i hadn't realised that you could pick them up for this price)

Fun, revvy, RWD, fast, looks great, convertible, affordable etc.

Is it really as good as this or are there any downsides?

Thanks.
Old 31 May 2011, 03:42 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

For what they are, a two seater sports convertible, no downsides as far as I can work out. Thinking about one myself but not this year unfortunately Lotus Elise is the other option but a bit more hardcore.
Old 31 May 2011, 03:49 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
For what they are, a two seater sports convertible, no downsides as far as I can work out. Thinking about one myself but not this year unfortunately Lotus Elise is the other option but a bit more hardcore.
I did think about the Elise for a while, but I have had one of those before, and with my frame it wouldn't work so well now.
Old 31 May 2011, 04:06 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

The missus has had one for 5 years, very reliable,they use a bit of oil which is normal they can suffer from suspension bushes/bolts seizing,and can be a bit twitchy over bumps if the geometry is out,try and get a slightly later one with the glass rear window,and have a look on the owners club website for a bit of help.Other than that they are quite exclusive you don't see many about and are good fun especially in the wet.
Old 31 May 2011, 04:06 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Downsides:

- Expensive insurance
- Needs to be worked hard to fully enjoy
- Can bite poor driving

....that is about it as far as I am concerned!
Old 31 May 2011, 04:09 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Had an S2000 and a Porsche Boxster S... would take the S2000 every time... I hope that tells you all you need to know.

Brilliantly built, good looking, fantastic engine, reliable and pretty cheap to run in comparison to other similar cars.

People will tell you it is gutless etc. and that it doesn't handle as well as a Boxster.... you just need time to learn to drive it and then it is an awesome car.

Had a Civic Type R too and as good as it is the S2000 is better as a driver's car in every way. Having said that you will get a newer Civic for your money so you need to factor that in too.

Last edited by f1_fan; 31 May 2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 31 May 2011, 04:57 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Only thing to think about is making sure you get one that's been appreciated and serviced. As other have said, needs to be driven hard really and after a few years that isn't going to be great...

Reminds me of a Swiss Tony style text I got: "Buying a used car is a lot like getting a new girlfriend. You know some bloke has been in it, thrashed the f out of it then swapped it for a better model."

5t.

Trending Topics

Old 31 May 2011, 04:59 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a AP2 S2000 for a while, as mentioned above they are a awesome drivers car... Make sure you inspect any car you are viewing carefully as a few i viewed had been in a shunt at some point, mainly around the rear quarter area lol i suppose its the nature of the beast; extremely tail happy
Old 31 May 2011, 07:10 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I have driven a couple of S2000s and honestly the cars go well, look good etc, but I found that when the roof was up, the space inside was very small. Other than I liked it.... but would not buy one....

I would go 350Z............................
Old 31 May 2011, 07:29 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

my friend has a 58 plate s2000....it does lack in room with no seats and a small boot space....but they go reasonably well as long as you rev them. Not sure if id buy one myself but havent got anything against them. First time out in it i was slightly disappointed as i kinda felt it lacked that real torque you get from a turbo car though. Remember you wont be making proper power until 6k revs though.... worth driving first to see whether thats your cup of tea...
Old 31 May 2011, 08:48 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by grahamc
I have driven a couple of S2000s and honestly the cars go well, look good etc, but I found that when the roof was up, the space inside was very small. Other than I liked it.... but would not buy one....

I would go 350Z............................

Funny you should mention the Z I'm going to have a drive of one on Friday along with the S2000.
Old 31 May 2011, 09:49 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

aint all S2000 hand built?

I love s2000. Got a family member who has one and he loves it
Old 01 June 2011, 10:41 AM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cookstar
Funny you should mention the Z I'm going to have a drive of one on Friday along with the S2000.
Enjoy and be careful if roads are wet, they can be a handful
Old 01 June 2011, 10:21 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Had a good test drive in one of these today, loved it, and so did the wife, the decision has been made.
Old 01 June 2011, 10:36 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

Are you getting the fastest colour

RED
Old 01 June 2011, 10:36 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I like the grey with red seats combo.
Old 02 June 2011, 12:03 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

New Imola Orange Pearl is the nuts. Doesn't look special in pictures, but I gambled on it being good and went to London from Edinburgh with that faith. It was outstanding in the flesh and makes the car seem quite special.
Old 02 June 2011, 12:50 AM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

Imola Orange mmmmm nice and rare
Old 02 June 2011, 03:03 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Stunning cars. I've just sold my second which was Rotrex supercharged.

Bullet proof engines and a joy to rev. You do need to rev them but that's half of the fun! Earlier ones had a lively rear end. Honda asjusted the geo and suspension set up to make them softer and more forgiving. Geo bolts were not greased from the factory so have a habit of seizing, can cost up to £1k so try to find one that has had the bolts greased and the geo setup properly, not just a quick ATS fix or whatever.

Check for hood wear behind the drivers and passengers outer shoulders. New hood is around £750 fitted. Post 2002 cars had the glass rear screen which is much better.

That's about it really! Brilliant cars that have the performance but costs Civic money to run. My last one I had 13 months. I put 2 tyres on and gave it a service, that was it! Other than petrol of course!

I suggest you put a cold air inductuion kit on it, the noise is mental to say the least!

Get one, you won't regret it!
Old 02 June 2011, 03:47 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nickwrxstiV2
I suggest you put a cold air inductuion kit on it, the noise is mental to say the least!
Have to disagree with this. In my experience tinkering with the filtration (other than adding a cold air snorkel to the original airbox) loses you power. When I got my S2000 it had an aftermarket induction system and felt sluggish and slow. It was markedly faster and more responsive when I changed it back to standard.

I can't deny that it sounds good, but I went down the loud exhaust route instead. From my own reading on T'internet it seems to be fairly common that indication kits lose you bhp on many/most vtec engines.
Old 02 June 2011, 04:25 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Great cars and loved the 2 I've had.

If you want inductions noise, cheap fix and solution is to just remove the airbox lid. Within the airbox it has a cone filter anyway and removing the lid releases the noise. Probably looses you a few BHP but sounds nice, and takes seconds to put back if you go on a long journey.

Not so much a drivers focussed car, more of a tourer. But currently got a Z4 3.0 which is silky smooth, and comfortable and feels a fair bit quicker with lots more torque. On paper they are the same, but on the road the Z4 feels quicker and more planted. But on a track I would sooner have the S2000. Z4 3.0's can be had for S2000 money now.
Old 02 June 2011, 05:45 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
I like the ghay red seats combo.

Nice little write up from Pistonheads here. Forged pistons as standard.
http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=120&i=5155
Old 02 June 2011, 06:09 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Excellent cars. Get a good one and they are a joy to own. Pretty solid on depreciation too.
Old 08 July 2011, 12:01 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Just bought one

Was after a Boxster (cos I cant afford a 911) but after looking at one locally twice and on both occasions it had running probs I went for a S2000

Its fooooookin mad
I just want to go out in it all the time

It is a bit loud even ploddin down the street but its a top top car
after buying it I did a steady drive back (missus following behind!) and did 250 miles on half a tank, not bad
when I got within 30 miles of home I nailed it, kiiiiin ell

Last edited by LeeMac; 08 July 2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08 July 2011, 09:35 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LeeMac
Just bought one

Was after a Boxster (cos I cant afford a 911) but after looking at one locally twice and on both occasions it had running probs I went for a S2000

Its fooooookin mad
I just want to go out in it all the time

It is a bit loud even ploddin down the street but its a top top car
after buying it I did a steady drive back (missus following behind!) and did 250 miles on half a tank, not bad
when I got within 30 miles of home I nailed it, kiiiiin ell
Great great cars hugely underrated IMO. I owned a Boxster S and then an S2000.... the S2000 is the better car - great to drive, looks good, beautifully engineered and fantastically well built as well as much cheaper to run than the Porsche!
Old 08 July 2011, 11:51 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

I was in two minds about the S2000, I am a big fan of the scooby (only had 2 classics)
I like the pull of the Impreza at 3k revs as you don't have to be canin it and the power is there easy enough without changing gear all the time
Im not a high rev person but am totally converted, its excellent
the pull is unbelievable at 6k for a non turbo motor
Old 16 July 2011, 08:53 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

As said before, if you know how to check the suspension bolts do it before buying as they seize and can end up costing 20% of what you paid for it if you're looking for a 2002 model.

If not try and get this check done as part of the conditions of purchase, it would cost a lot less for a garage to fix it as I believe its mainly labour. I very nearly bought one so did a lo of research in to these and its one of my regrets not having one to play in before the children arrived.

If you intend to drive it as it should be the above is very important, if not and its tourer, cruiser then its less so.
Old 19 July 2011, 05:48 PM
Scooby_MAN
Scooby Regular

I was once in an S2000 a couple of months back & was really disappointed I must say. It really didn't seem that fast. Granted, we was not long out of my mates E46 M3, so of course it was never going to compete with that & maybe that was the factor I couldn't get over.

On the other hand, my Mum used to own a 350Z. This in my opinion is so much better. Feels a lot tighter, quicker & responsive. Much more fun. Although, I realise the petrol would probably work out a lot better on an S2000.
Old 19 July 2011, 06:04 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

...until you realise that all the power is at 6000+rpm and you are constantly keep it there.
Old 19 July 2011, 06:36 PM
ad uk
Scooby Regular

my mates got an s2000 52 plate and when my uk turbo was standard apart from exhaust he trounced me thats what made me get more power i rekon he will struggle to keep up with me now with over 300bhp under the bonnet lol

Quick Reply: S2000 who has had one?