Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Bmw or Audi or Saab

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2011, 10:17 AM
K30FOY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bmw or Audi or Saab

Seriously thinking of selling up/trading in my Scooby for a diesel. I use the Scooby everyday to and from shops, work etc and it costing me a fortune in petrol.

Im not looking after anything fast as I dont drive the Scoob fast anymore, due to the roads being ****e, other stupid drivers, wife and kid always in the car etc.

So im looking at either a BMW 318D/320D, Audi A4 Tdi or a Saab 9-3 Tdi Vector.

Anyone had any experiences with the cars above?
Old 01 February 2011, 10:36 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I've had a BWM 320d SE a few years ago, and a 320d M-sport the last two years. I can't really fault either of them. Power is adequate (but you always want more) and economy is good (avg 55 in the old one, and over 60 in the new one). I've not owned or driven either of the others, so can't really compare.
Old 01 February 2011, 10:58 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Saab will depreciate a bomb and I'm not sure if Audi diesels are on the same level yet, as the BMW.

I'm biased as I have a BM, but the only time I might consider an Audi was if the missus wanted one more than any other car, or it was an RS model.
Old 01 February 2011, 11:13 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K30FOY
Seriously thinking of selling up/trading in my Scooby for a diesel. I use the Scooby everyday to and from shops, work etc and it costing me a fortune in petrol.

Im not looking after anything fast as I dont drive the Scoob fast anymore, due to the roads being ****e, other stupid drivers, wife and kid always in the car etc.

So im looking at either a BMW 318D/320D, Audi A4 Tdi or a Saab 9-3 Tdi Vector.

Anyone had any experiences with the cars above?

I'd post this in the 'other marques' section mate. We haven't had a BMW vs Audi fisticuffs for at least 24 hours

Light the fuse and then watch Alan Bell and Matteeboy going at it

Seriously though, plenty of Audi and BMW owners posting in that section, including a guy called Steve who has just gone through a very similar decision making process.

Good luck
Old 01 February 2011, 11:31 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I drive an 03 330d

Can't fault it. Lovely car to drive good bit of poke & returns 42mpg.

If I were changing the 330d I'd look at the 525d / 530d.

I just don't like the feel of the 4 pot diesels.
Old 01 February 2011, 11:48 AM
K30FOY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
I'd post this in the 'other marques' section mate. We haven't had a BMW vs Audi fisticuffs for at least 24 hours

Seriously though, plenty of Audi and BMW owners posting in that section, including a guy called Steve who has just gone through a very similar decision making process.

Good luck
Wheres the "other marques" section?

Havnt seen it before.

I was looking at the BMW's more than any other tbh.

Last edited by K30FOY; 01 February 2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01 February 2011, 11:49 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Yep other marques really. Mind, I'll predict the answers now given that it is aka 'bimmernet' You'll be told to buy a BMW.

That said, one missing here Merc.

Remember - BMW for when you are on your way. Merc for when you've arrived

*flame suit zipped up

5t.

Trending Topics

Old 01 February 2011, 11:58 AM
K30FOY
Scooby Regular

Aha! found it.
Old 01 February 2011, 12:17 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I have a Saab and to be honest it isnt a competitor for the Germans, it has its virtues but the Germans crap on it for interior quality, otherwise its a decent enough car but I see it more as an altrenative to a Vectra, Mondeo or getting a three year older German car.

Also, dont see the german ones as being uber reliable, everyone I know with Audi's seems to have loads of bother with them.

I would say go for the 320d, drives well, quick enough for most situations and decent resale.
Old 01 February 2011, 01:07 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I'd go for the BMW
Old 01 February 2011, 02:01 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Personally I'd go with the SAAB.

Audi and BMW well OK the quality is probably there but what are we talking here? Whats your budget?

E46s are getting on a frankly the 2nd hand prices are too high for what they are - plus a 330D Auto isn't beyond throwing up big bills. Mother has an 02 Audi A4 TDI and its OK but not my cup of tea at all.

The SAAB is mostly Vectra although I think the rear end is quite different. Probably not as smooth as a 6 pot BM diesel but the GM diesel is still going to be acceptable IMO. Personally I'd go for either the V6 or the 4 pot petrol turbo as I don't do many miles.

They are depreciating but so are all cars to an extent. You can get an 04 diesel SAAB 93 with sub 100K for £4K. An 04 320D with 100K is going to be £7K for an M sport - at the very least.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2433063.htm

Assuming the car is OK, thats alot of car for £5400

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2269386.htm

Last edited by EddScott; 01 February 2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01 February 2011, 02:12 PM
K30FOY
Scooby Regular

Its dependent on what I get for my 2002 WRX, hopefully £5500? Id like a late E46.
Old 01 February 2011, 02:16 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Yep other marques really. Mind, I'll predict the answers now given that it is aka 'bimmernet' You'll be told to buy a BMW.

That said, one missing here Merc.

Remember - BMW for when you are on your way. Merc for when you've arrived

*flame suit zipped up

5t.

And the prize for the most meaningless post of the day goes to.........fivetide!

Really what is that supposed to mean? I'd rather have a £100k BMW over a £20k A Class and I'd rather have a £100k Mercedes over a 1 series BMW.
Old 01 February 2011, 02:19 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Bit hopeful on yours. Still think you should consider the other Germans...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/2?logcode=p

5t
Old 01 February 2011, 02:22 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

And the prize for the most meaningless post of the day goes to.........fivetide!

Really what is that supposed to mean? I'd rather have a £100k BMW over a £20k A Class and I'd rather have a £100k Mercedes over a 1 series BMW.
and dingdongler takes a run up to the point...and.... ooooh sorry folks, he's missed it.

Remember the TG thing all BMW drivers = *****. If you buy a beemer you will buy that image. MB doesn't have that stigma on the side. Even the chavs don't seem to follow the old Mercs and there is nothing wrong with many an AMG (not that the OP is looking at AMG models.).

5t.
Old 01 February 2011, 02:28 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by K30FOY
Its dependent on what I get for my 2002 WRX, hopefully £5500? Id like a late E46.
With all the will in the world you'll not get £5.5K for a 02 WRX.

A late diesel E46 is going to be £7K at the very least and probably over 100K. Some E46 330D on about 60K are over 10K.

Maybe a Mondeo TDCI?

I don't mean to disregard the Audi but I find my mothers particularly boring and changing a front light bulb is a complete PITA. We tested a 320D and the Audi TDI back to back and the Audi was just effortless driving whereas the BM wanted you to drive it - if you get me. Audi drove you, the BM you drove.

I like the look of the SAAB 93 although I'm aware its mostly GM and never driven one. Vectra TDI I know very little about and don't care for Vauxhall in the slightest and wouldn't like to drive one. Mondeo, I've driven a TD up to yorkshire and I have to say I was suprised how comfortable it was and a decent drive.

Following on a little from 5tide - Audi and BMW have been in this "I can do sporty" battle for a number of years gently watering down the S models and M Sport models. Merc has just quietly got on with it - not all C classes have been successful but I think the more current crop are decent cars.

Last edited by EddScott; 01 February 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01 February 2011, 03:00 PM
K30FOY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
With all the will in the world you'll not get £5.5K for a 02 WRX.

A late diesel E46 is going to be £7K at the very least and probably over 100K. Some E46 330D on about 60K are over 10K.

Maybe a Mondeo TDCI?
Ive seen bugeyes go for around 5K on Pistonheads, maybe 5k is more realistic for mine:
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2456448.htm

Late E46 320D:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...20ll?logcode=p

Not too keen on Mondeo's
Old 01 February 2011, 03:13 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

OK, for £5K your looking at a very low spec 320D or a top of the range SAAD 93 or Mondeo TDCI.

I don't particularly like Mondeos either but I'd rather a sporty looking Mondy to a low rent BM.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1292104.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2412384.htm
Old 01 February 2011, 03:47 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Following on a little from 5tide - Audi and BMW have been in this "I can do sporty" battle for a number of years gently watering down the S models and M Sport models. Merc has just quietly got on with it - not all C classes have been successful but I think the more current crop are decent cars.
Agreed and I think it shows in the prices. You might pay a bit more for MB but you usually get a lot more and a nicer image too. The car I linked to I cheaper than the BM, few years older but same miles, full leather, triple climate control etc etc and the BM has 'solid paint' listed as a feature along with its radio/CD.

I know which one I'd want to do some miles in! Same point with fully loaded Mondeo.

5t.
Old 01 February 2011, 03:53 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

If your going to have some soulless 4 door mile muncher, to have no luxuries would be, well, soulless
Old 01 February 2011, 04:40 PM
pigSTi
Scooby Regular

If your going to have some soulless 4 door mile muncher, to have no luxuries would be, well, soulless
I'd go for a Merc - that is the only other car I would drive other than Impreza.
Old 01 February 2011, 05:26 PM
K30FOY
Scooby Regular

Hmm, ill have a look at the MB's.
Old 01 February 2011, 07:04 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

I have just sold my Impreza and bought a BMW 320D M Sport on a 57 plate. First thing I did was to have it re-mapped. It now has 330 power and is much cheaper to run
Was looking at A4 Avant's - 2.0 170 S line Diesel but couldn't find anything reasonable within my budget (11k)
Old 01 February 2011, 07:40 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
and dingdongler takes a run up to the point...and.... ooooh sorry folks, he's missed it.

Remember the TG thing all BMW drivers = *****. If you buy a beemer you will buy that image. MB doesn't have that stigma on the side. Even the chavs don't seem to follow the old Mercs and there is nothing wrong with many an AMG (not that the OP is looking at AMG models.).

5t.

You need to grow up mate, who gives a toss what TG says? Oh I forgot, idiots like you who quote idiots like him and don't actually own/run the cars. FYI I have owned MB/BMW/Audi etc and you aren't buying any image, you are buying a car. Only ***** think otherwise.

If you read my post I'd be more than happy to own the the best that any of them make (oh hold on, I already have ie AMG, RS and M power)

Your comment was some meaningless nonsense that you've heard some retard down the pub say (or perhaps even your gay fantasy boys on TG?) and you've thought it would be clever to regurgitate it. Without stopping to think what a load of b8llcks it is of course
Old 01 February 2011, 07:54 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

You need to grow up mate, who gives a toss what TG says? Oh I forgot, idiots like you who quote idiots like him and don't actually own/run the cars. FYI I have owned MB/BMW/Audi etc and you aren't buying any image, you are buying a car. Only ***** think otherwise.

If you read my post I'd be more than happy to own the the best that any of them make (oh hold on, I already have ie AMG, RS and M power)

Your comment was some meaningless nonsense that you've heard some retard down the pub say (or perhaps even your gay fantasy boys on TG?) and you've thought it would be clever to regurgitate it. Without stopping to think what a load of b8llcks it is of course
+1
Old 01 February 2011, 07:57 PM
K30FOY
Scooby Regular

....and so it begins
Old 01 February 2011, 08:12 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Dingdongler;9855182]I'd post this in the 'other marques' section mate. We haven't had a BMW vs Audi fisticuffs for at least 24 hours

Can not help Ive never owned or been in any of the above .
Old 01 February 2011, 09:56 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

For £5k, I'd leave the badge hunting and go for something like an Astra, Focus or Mondeo diesel. A BM will be very high miles, same with Audi. Saabs are just overpriced Vauxhalls.

As for image - yawn. I buy my cars to do a certain set of things. Doesn't matter who makes it.
Old 01 February 2011, 09:58 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Get a Skoda Superb
Old 01 February 2011, 10:06 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
For £5k, I'd leave the badge hunting and go for something like an Astra, Focus or Mondeo diesel. A BM will be very high miles, same with Audi. Saabs are just overpriced Vauxhalls.

As for image - yawn. I buy my cars to do a certain set of things. Doesn't matter who makes it.
New they may be, second hand there isn't a lot in it, the Saab is quite different to drive to the Vauxhall, it a derivative of the same platform but quite a bit shorter, there are common parts but not as much as you would think, considering its meant to be a "Posh" Vauxhall the interior on mine doesnt actually feel as well mae in places as the Vectra.

I reckon that they aren't as good as an A4 but they are nearer to the Audi than the price differential would have you beleive, and a Mondeo drives better than either.

The Skoda Suggestion is a good one as well, never seen a car get so much praise heaped upon it.

Quick Reply: Bmw or Audi or Saab