Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Honda S2000

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2011, 10:08 PM
Daz187
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda S2000

Hi, Has anyone gone from a scoob to a S2000? Really fancy getting one, but dont think i'm gonna be very happy when i put my foot down. I've got a P1 just shy of 400 brake. Fitting Dccd to it to try and have a go at some rear end action. Whats your thoughts?

Want a Gt if i get one
Old 09 January 2011, 10:13 PM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

the S2000 is a nice, awesome to drive, but gotta be driven at high revs to get it to go somewhere. And a standard one isn't that quick, i've wasted several in my Astra (300bhp) but they are cool to be driving around with the roof off.
Old 10 January 2011, 07:59 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Search my previous posts for "S2000". I owned one a few years back and loved it. Mines had an exhaust and cold air feed and was approximately as fast as my 310bhp classic STI (when rolling). However, the STI felt considerably faster when you put your foot down and a 400bhp P1 would be considerably faster no matter which way you cut it.

I loved mine and would happily have one again
Old 10 January 2011, 05:39 PM
Daz187
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys. I new my P1 would be a lot quicker. Just wondered if i'd miss the pace of the scoob? Thought maybe the S2000 would make up for it in different ways.
Old 10 January 2011, 05:43 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

A fair few modded S2000s about - some kicking out serious power. Not sure how they get there - supercharging maybe?
Old 10 January 2011, 06:28 PM
Daz187
Scooby Regular

Seen your car up on S2ki and Pistonheads. Bit to expensive for me i'm afraid. Wish i could though. I'm trying to get out of modding, spent so much on my P1. I seem to spend more money on modding than actually diving the thing lol.. How u find standard S2k's? This one court my eye.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2243161.htm
Old 10 January 2011, 06:33 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Daz - lovely looking example. Am I being blind though - what's the mileage? The seller is also a bit thick and can't spell/write a proper ad.
Old 10 January 2011, 06:41 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

S2000-4-U have a pretty bad reputation. Do a search on S2Ki, there are quite a few threads on them!

And what Matteeboy says - no mileage in ad = galactic spaceship miles

***edited by webteam****

Sorry, only paying members can advertise stuff for sale

Last edited by ALi-B; 10 January 2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: advert
Old 10 January 2011, 06:49 PM
Daz187
Scooby Regular

Thanks, Didnt really look into them that much. Just thought with a company name like that, they where pretty good with S2k's lol.. Black is very nice also like the dark blue.

Just goes to show, i'l have to learn all about another car if i make the jump. Been in Subaru ownership for 6 years, only now do i have a rough idea about them lol.. Made many mistakes in modifying mine in the past. Expensive too..
Old 10 January 2011, 06:52 PM
Daz187
Scooby Regular

I would seriously be interested, But i havent driven one to find out if i really want one yet. Also I have to sell my P1 first, thats if it sold, would probably have to break it to get any proper money back.
Old 10 January 2011, 06:57 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Definitely try one first. The lack of torque/need to thrash them either thrills or annoys depending on who you are. Needs a different mindset to powerful rally rep style driving.
Old 10 January 2011, 10:37 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Excellent cars, a lot quicker than people think and they handle beautifully. Good to look at even with the hood up and all round (build, reliability, cost of ownership) way better than the opposition including the Porsche Boxster.

I would have another for sure
Old 15 January 2011, 05:58 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I had one for a year before i bought the Impreza, they're awesome cars, lovely engine with a top notch gearbox, a lot of fun especially in summer when you’re coming back from work as the sun is rising at 6am lol, the only reason i got rid of mine was being 6ft 3", i found it a lil too small/cramped. I did have a play with an E46 M3 and Evo 6 TME in mine, up to a 100 there was nothing in it although I cant see it matching a 400bhp p1 for all out speed. My bro inlaw just bought a late AP2 model that’s had a turbocharger, Project MU brakes, Rays wheels etc… fitted, that should be crazy once its mapped!
Old 16 January 2011, 04:42 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I test drove one and at the last minute didnt buy it. Have regretted it ever since.
Old 19 January 2011, 12:23 AM
acstua
Scooby Regular

aye check how tall you are before getting one :P
i had a sit in one whilst waitin for my CTR to be serviced and it was a bit cramped
(im 6ft 3 too)

Pretty much same engine etc as the CTR i had, lovely engine, great gear box
and when you hit vtec, well it stuck a huge grin on my face and the dealer didnt even have to try and sell me it heh
Bullet proof too

i was going to go from the CTR to the S2000 for some rwd fun, but for the slightly snug cabin

one thing i noticed going from my CTR to the scoob, was in the CTR with the engine poking up about 8k you think your going fecking quick lots of fun factor heh
and you have to get an induction kit on there if anything just to release the noise (which doesnt really kick in till you hit vtec so nice to pootle around with out making much noise till you put your foot down )

Not quite an S2000 but maybe helpful

as above the high revving engine is def a marmite thing
for me it was truely outstanding and hours of fun
Old 19 January 2011, 01:23 AM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by acstua
aye check how tall you are before getting one :P
i had a sit in one whilst waitin for my CTR to be serviced and it was a bit cramped
(im 6ft 3 too)

Pretty much same engine etc as the CTR i had, lovely engine, great gear box
and when you hit vtec, well it stuck a huge grin on my face and the dealer didnt even have to try and sell me it heh
Bullet proof too

i was going to go from the CTR to the S2000 for some rwd fun, but for the slightly snug cabin

one thing i noticed going from my CTR to the scoob, was in the CTR with the engine poking up about 8k you think your going fecking quick lots of fun factor heh
and you have to get an induction kit on there if anything just to release the noise (which doesnt really kick in till you hit vtec so nice to pootle around with out making much noise till you put your foot down )

Not quite an S2000 but maybe helpful

as above the high revving engine is def a marmite thing
for me it was truely outstanding and hours of fun
Totally agree, i had a CTR for 6 months between the S2000 and Impreza, it was alot of fun but if i did get rid of the Impreza in the future i think i would go for a Integra DC5 as they come with an LSD (bye bye inside spinning wheel), lovely Recaros, a few more ponies all packaged in a nice looking coupe body
Old 19 January 2011, 01:57 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Harryr34
Totally agree, i had a CTR for 6 months between the S2000 and Impreza, it was alot of fun but if i did get rid of the Impreza in the future i think i would go for a Integra DC5 as they come with an LSD (bye bye inside spinning wheel), lovely Recaros, a few more ponies all packaged in a nice looking coupe body
The Champ White CTRs have a LSD and apparently so do the latest CTRs (since late 2010). If you want more power and rawer ride then try the jap FD2 version.
Old 19 January 2011, 02:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Champ White CTR's look great ....

The engine, in my opinion is awful ....

I have an inbuilt revulsion in revving the nuts off a car engine (or any engine for that matter) - yes, they are designed for it - but ................ very tiring.

An MX5 is a better car than the S2000 - by quite a margin, in all round ability/fun (I know you will laugh, but all the reports agree with me!)
Old 19 January 2011, 03:08 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

^ I've never driven an S2000 but it would need to be very, very good to beat an mx5 IMO

£ for £ the mx5 surely takes it by a mile ?
Old 19 January 2011, 04:37 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Ive had both the MX5 and S2000, and the S2000 is a better car by a country mile IMO. The S2000 is what the MX5 should have been.

The S2000 retains all the mechanical pro's of an mx5 with and easy engine to work on and service yourself, and the S2000 handles any bit as well as a MX5 if not better with a better notchy gearbox and pin sharp handling. The S2000 wins in every area and has the added benefit of not having a wheasy guttless engine. Oh and the hood is electric and goes down/up in 6 secs, which enables you not to have to think twice about dropping the hood.

Despite all the claims about gutless below vtec, The S2000 is a joy to drive below Vtec and about the same as a MX5 for low end performance, but when the Mx5 has had enough and run out of steam, the S2000 starts to come alive and would destroy an MX5.

The only MX5 I could compare against the S2000 was the Mk1 MX5 turbo I had running link ECU and 240bhp. That was arguably more fun, but the S2000 was still the better car and you would never have to worry about it breaking unlike the tuned MX5.

Great car straight out of the box and needs nothing doing to it. Its not the quickest car on the planet compared to modded scoobs, evo's etc. But its the most fun and rewarding 'sports car' you can drive on a budget.
Old 19 January 2011, 06:43 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

I don't know why people cream their pants over mx5's. I've drove a mates a couple of times and although it was quite fun with the hood down I felt like a raging homo in a underpowered car.
Old 19 January 2011, 07:18 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
An MX5 is a better car than the S2000 - by quite a margin, in all round ability/fun (I know you will laugh, but all the reports agree with me!)
That is absolute crap.
Old 19 January 2011, 08:25 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
That is absolute crap.
Yea well he is quoting from crimpers weekly.
Old 20 January 2011, 09:48 PM
Daz187
Scooby Regular

Went and viewed one today.. Took it out on test drive, Unfortunatly this one wasn't the best. Body work was mint, But it had a few little niggles like the roof leaking and engine kept stopping.. Cracking engine though. Can't believe the revs on it Going to go and view a few more.. Love my P1 to bits.. So going to be a tough call.
Old 20 January 2011, 10:54 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

the vtec gets under your skin my 1st test drive of a CTR and i was hooked
had two so far
wouldnt be surprised if i have another before my last driving days
Old 21 January 2011, 08:16 AM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

You want to try test driving a supercharged one! A different beast altogether! Still keeps the revvy nature but bags more power!

Get yourself up here for a test drive!
Old 21 January 2011, 12:58 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

The cutting out / idle drop is a common fault on these, and invariably an easy fix. Most enthusiasts know where to look and keep on top of them. The engine is a real joy to work on and so simple.

All the sensors, bit and bobs are dead easy to get at. None of this wrapping your knuckles down the side of the boxter engine milarky.

Idle issues are nearly always related to ICSV or the MAP sensor. Both of which are in your face as you look the engine and a 5 min job to take off clean out and put back. Other issues with S2000's can the the spark plug oil seals can leak which then let oil bypass down the polug trumpets. But again not a major job to remove the rocker cover and replace the seals. Basic maintance stuff really but easy to work on.

Due to the revs they have solid valve adjusters (Not hydraulic), so again high milage example that might sounds a little tappety, just need the valves adjusting.

Mine had covered 120K but done all of the above which made the car run loverly and quiet. The engines should happily wear rocket ship miles.

Or if your ther sort person what don't like messing with spanners, they don't cost the earth to just pay someone to service the car once a year and just drive it.

Oh and If you like noise you only have to remove the lid from the airbox (4 clips), as they already have a cone type filter within the airbox as standard. You lget loads of induction noise by doing this for free.

Last edited by RobEvo5; 21 January 2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 21 January 2011, 03:25 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobEvo5
Ive had both the MX5 and S2000, and the S2000 is a better car by a country mile IMO. The S2000 is what the MX5 should have been.

The S2000 retains all the mechanical pro's of an mx5 with and easy engine to work on and service yourself, and the S2000 handles any bit as well as a MX5 if not better with a better notchy gearbox and pin sharp handling. The S2000 wins in every area and has the added benefit of not having a wheasy guttless engine. Oh and the hood is electric and goes down/up in 6 secs, which enables you not to have to think twice about dropping the hood.

Despite all the claims about gutless below vtec, The S2000 is a joy to drive below Vtec and about the same as a MX5 for low end performance, but when the Mx5 has had enough and run out of steam, the S2000 starts to come alive and would destroy an MX5.

The only MX5 I could compare against the S2000 was the Mk1 MX5 turbo I had running link ECU and 240bhp. That was arguably more fun, but the S2000 was still the better car and you would never have to worry about it breaking unlike the tuned MX5.

Great car straight out of the box and needs nothing doing to it. Its not the quickest car on the planet compared to modded scoobs, evo's etc. But its the most fun and rewarding 'sports car' you can drive on a budget.

Never driven one so cant comment but, i know numerous perfromance car mags have been underwhelmed by the S2000 ( and i dont think its just a case they didnt get a bribe from Honda!)

Even James Martin who does a car report each week in the sunday mags was unimpressed with it. I think its one of thoughs cars you either love or hate.

As said , there not hugely quick ( 50-70mph in 3.7) which is average Golf GTI time and i know for a fact tht when i had UK TURBO ( just exhaust, filter) there was nothing in it between 40-145mph when i had a ( stupid/reckless) chase with one a few years back.

Dont get me wrong, i still think there great cars but there image punches above the reality.
Old 21 January 2011, 04:13 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

I would defo agree they are not what I would call quick cars. If you the want the feel of speed and a quick car then you can't beat scoobs pound for pound. Even a standard UK classic would FEEL quicker but the S2000 would be much quicker on a track.

Out and out performance is not what the The S2000 is about, much the same as an MX5. Its just a fun car which gives driver involvement, but the S2000 has a proper engine in it. Its a 2 seater low slung sports convertible with pin sharp handling. So can't really compare 50-70 etc.

The likes of a boxster 'S' or a Z4 3.0 will be really well put together and the added torque would make them nice lazy sport cars to drive. But the S2000 is edgy and raw bit like the MX5 which makes it allot more fun to drive.

The S2000 is now very much a mainstream car with lots and lots on the market which has driven down second hand prices to some very cheap levels and not far behind an MX5, and scoob money.

New they had lots of competiton, but as a second hand SPORTS car, this is guaranteed to put a smile on anyones face, thats cheap to buy, service, fix, fuel and keep on the road they really shine above even the Mighty MX5 now IMHO.

Last edited by RobEvo5; 21 January 2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 21 January 2011, 04:27 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobEvo5
I would defo agree they are not what I would call quick cars. If you the want the feel of speed and a quick car then you can't beat scoobs pound for pound. Even a standard UK classic would FEEL quicker but the S2000 would be much quicker on a track.

Out and out performance is not what the The S2000 is about, much the same as an MX5. Its just a fun car which gives driver involvement, but the S2000 has a proper engine in it. Its a 2 seater low slung sports convertible with pin sharp handling. So can't really compare 50-70 etc.

The likes of a boxster 'S' or a Z4 3.0 will be really well put together and the added torque would make them nice lazy sport cars to drive. But the S2000 is edgy and raw bit like the MX5 which makes it allot more fun to drive.

The S2000 is now very much a mainstream car with lots and lots on the market which has driven down second hand prices to some very cheap levels and not far behind an MX5, and scoob money.

New they had lots of competiton, but as a second hand SPORTS car, this is guaranteed to put a smile on anyones face, thats cheap to buy, service, fix, fuel and keep on the road they really shine above even the Mighty MX5 now IMHO.

Excellent reply- and quite agree. Its just they always seem to be overlooked by the press with cars like the Boxster and as i mentioned even james martin ( who seems to praise the **** off everything) gave a negative report a couple years back- thats what confuses me!

Horses for courses and they'll always be Boxster people and s2000 people!!

Quick Reply: Honda S2000