Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Nissan Pathfinder/Navara

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2010, 07:49 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan Pathfinder/Navara

Anyone experience of any of these two 4x4's,pro's and con's please.

TIA
Old 17 December 2010, 07:56 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They dont do much to the gallon as my mate pointed out to me he bought his because their Omega MV6 was a guzzler, though he has used his Pathfinder (i think, top of the range one) with no issues, and he does go off road with it.

Tony
Old 17 December 2010, 08:46 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

My brother inlaw had a 2008 Navara Aventura and as well as drinking diesel like there's no tomorrow the cylinder head gasket blew. I think there's a web site along the lines of 'why i hate my navara'
Nik.
Old 17 December 2010, 09:41 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

£400 a year road tax on the majority of pathfinders, been looking at them myself

Richard
Old 17 December 2010, 10:15 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

The Navara is also expensive to service
Old 17 December 2010, 10:23 PM
richgreenscooby1
Scooby Regular

my brother got a 08 navara loves it had a few things under warranty , but no issues .....
Old 17 December 2010, 10:41 PM
spanner monkey
Scooby Regular

I had a 56 plate pathfinder for a year, within that time it was taken back to Nissan 7 times for warranty repairs. Some of the faults were silly things like dodgy cruise control, other faults were faulty gear box bearings & front drive shafts & hubs. The vehicle was only 2 years old at the as well.

Dave
Old 18 December 2010, 11:14 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Think You'd be better off with a X-Trail.
Old 18 December 2010, 12:31 PM
iamevilhomer
Scooby Regular

I bought a Navara Platinum new in Jan 09, and have covered 41k since. Mainly trouble free.Only prob has been a 4wd selector switch that went wrong the week after a service.
I am getting an indicated 29mpg with mixed driving.
Once up and running they are quick enough for a pick up, but they lack a little low down torque,which is most evident when towing.I have towed quite a bit with it, and you will need to make use of the low range box for slow speed steep gradients.
Due to the lack of real low down torque you find yourself having to use the gearbox quite a lot which can be quite tiresome.
new tyres at 35k, I was surprised how long the Goodyears lasted from new.
Overall they drive very well for a commercial vehicle.
I know there were lots of probs with earlier models,but as I have had only 1 problem then I would recommend.
Old 18 December 2010, 02:12 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Owner of a 56 plate Navara since new! Only kept it this long as I love it so much!!!

Tyres at 35k
Brake Pads at 45K
Serviced every 18K - although now out of warranty I do it myself for less than £100 al inc.
MY road tax is £125 for 12 months due to being a Euro 4 model bought before Gordon stopped the low tax thing (still continues for me as bought in time)
MPG - Get an Auto and you'll pay for it at the pumps with mid 20's mpg.
Get the manual (its a 6 speed box) and you can get mid 30's easily on a run.
Thrash the **** off it and you use more juice though!
Mine has LOADS of torque(300lbs) and with 0 - 60mph in 10secs for a 2tonne + truck isn't bad!!!
Lots of chips or remaps to boost the standed 172 bhp to 200+

Quite happy in 6th gear round town or on motorways.
Good as a cruiser and takes me across Europe with ease. Happy to cruise around the 100mph mark all day long. Just as good off road and brilliant in the snow!
Well equiped, remote locking, 4 eelctric windows, tints, cruise, climate, 6cd system, auto lights and wipers 17" alloys etc etc Sat nav sunroof and leather on top model.

All I've needed under warranty was a squek/rattle sorting. other than that nothing gone wrong!

Older models (pre 2005) had a few engine problems, but Nissan then gave a free extended warranty on the engine. No nown problems with the later engines.

As with ANY vehicle you will get some people who have probelms, but considering how popular they are and how many have been sold, they have a good record.

Hold their value pretty well too!

Don't forget, the Navara is built as a commercail vehicle with rear leaf springs so don't expect it to hadle like a scooby. But you can still have fun and get the **** end sliding with the use of your right foot

Last edited by WRXBOB; 18 December 2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 18 December 2010, 02:16 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz_
The Navara is also expensive to service
What

Have you owned one

Mine has been a lot cheaper than my scooby to service, and with an interval of 18,000 miles it's not too often either!
Old 18 December 2010, 09:19 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I picked up a 60 plate navara tekna auto 6 weeks ago, so far great fun and suits me fine.

I get 29.6 to 29.7 mpg which for about 2300kg auto is good mines the new 190 bhp model, I was going to buy a pathfinder but just could not justify the road and company car tax as well as costing another 10k on top.

I've got a few niggles with a piece of trim in the back which I will get swapped at service and the paint is super thin. But overall with 0% finance free servicing and rac I could not think of anything else to buy.

The navara ride is bumpy, it will not be like a german saloon!

It's a bit big for parking spaces so some people may find it difficult to park, I just flick it in 4wd and park on the grass/mud :d

Navara 4wd is not automatic and you have to switch it manually but works fine in the snow
Old 18 December 2010, 09:41 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

pulled a pathfinder out of a muddy feild with a land rover a couple of weeks ago so not that good off road but does have better heaters than a land rover defender good this time off year lol have you thought of a warrior with a roof box over the bed awsome vehicles
Old 18 December 2010, 10:40 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

the supervisors at work have them as company cars think there a 6 of them the oldest is a 57 reg the newest is a 59reg they have been hit and miss one of them was nothing but trouble throusands thrown at it and the others have been fine just little stuff they have some big milage on them the 56 has about 150k on it at the mo they drink fuel eat tires but they seem to be a good motorway work horse they dont do any towing we have a landrover 110 that i use its a 04 tows 3000kg every day thu summer that has 130k on it and just had 4k spent on it with new gear box transfer box all new front bushes and new injectors and injector harness but thats the first majour thing that has gone wrong with it and we have had it from new
Old 20 December 2010, 07:27 PM
DLP
Scooby Regular

Swapped my scoob for one in august,love it to bits,superb in the snow in 4wd,then back to 2wd (rwd ) for a play.
Had no probs as yet but still under warranty for another twelve months,and also plenty of toys compared to the scoob but not the same power i,m afraid.
Mine below.

Old 21 December 2010, 11:02 AM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

nice! see you got decent tyres on yours unlike the 1 i pulled out with road tyres on driver said well i thiought it be ok its a 4x4 lol
Old 21 December 2010, 09:43 PM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

Anyone chipped a 2.5 DCi? Did you notice much improvement, is driveability better? (not bothered about economy answers)

Also what are these like in terms of refinement, always assumed the interior would be quite agricultural- not expecting high end luxury, but is it comfortable enough to use as a commuting vehicle as well as 4x4/off road?
Old 26 December 2010, 08:39 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Love the look of the Pathfinder

Got an X Trail at the moment.Just shy of 90k miles,6 years old.Not missed a beat (touch wood!)

2.5 petrol though,not diesel.Aren't the diesels Renault units?
Old 29 December 2010, 07:51 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
They dont do much to the gallon as my mate pointed out to me he bought his because their Omega MV6 was a guzzler, though he has used his Pathfinder (i think, top of the range one) with no issues, and he does go off road with it.

Tony
Tosh Tony. It must be an auto or he drives like a hooligan in the wrong gear if it guzzles fuel.

We had an 07 plate Pathfinder from new for nearly 40000 miles and it averaged 26mpg from day one. 2/3rds of that mileage was towing the horses around, or lugging the race car about with the crap that goes with them (the latter usually had me behind the wheel, and it wasnt hanging about).

Utterly faultless in 3 years of ownership, 2 services (total cost £600), £500 a year insurance and fuel, and 2 sets of tyres at £400 a set plus road tax.

Swapped to 59 Plate Navara, as it suits our rough treatment on the farm, and thats been exactly the same to date. 18000 miles in the last year, and its currently showing 25.4 total mpg.

The Nav with a canopy on the back is like a tardis, cant believe how much stuff we can get in it.

My in laws had a Pathfinder before us, and i wasnt impressed, purely on the looks. However, i had to drive it once for 200 miles with a trailer on, and that was it, i was sold. Got rid of our Shogun sport and that was it.

My parents, who were farmers until they retired 3 years ago, have had Land Rover all their life. Dad hated the fact we had gone "japanese" and we had bought junk. He once took 6 of us to a black tie do in York in our Pathfinder, and drove it back.

He promptly went out and found a Pathfinder of his own, and still has it 2 years on, and swears its the best 4x4 he has ever had.

As for the two in comparison, there are subtle differences in the drive train that make a difference to what you are using it for.

The Pathfinder has independant suspension all round, comfy for cruising, but wallowy when towing with heavy weight in the rear.
Navara has leaf springs, awesome when towing with weight, but sometimes bouncy when empty.

Pathfinder has traction control and fancy rear diff.
Navara doesnt, it has a live rear axle (awesome for donuts )

Pathfinder has discs all round
Navara has drums on the rear.

Cant fault them, either of them IMO.
Old 29 December 2010, 08:25 PM
Danny_P
Scooby Regular

I've had a Navara from new for 18 months now and it's been absolutely faultless!

Bought it primarily for towing a newage scoob on a trailer and throwing spare wheels, tools, kitchen sink, etc. in the rear and it does the job admirably. Can't recommend them enough.

Surprisingly rapid once you've got it going too.
Old 03 January 2011, 08:34 PM
GROWLER_GRRRR
Scooby Regular

Default main bearing s

dont these nissans kill engines due to the tab being missing on the big end main bearings on the crank ....

few went bang .... there is a fix for them but you have to strip and rebuild the
engine ....1k in money ....
Old 03 January 2011, 09:02 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

had my Navara now for 3 years
it may have lots of goodys but mpg is 21/gallon
build quality is crap for the price tag
paint finish is the worst i have seen
a good buy for a business user tax wise
but that is about it
Old 05 January 2011, 11:55 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Budgie
had my Navara now for 3 years
it may have lots of goodys but mpg is 21/gallon
build quality is crap for the price tag
paint finish is the worst i have seen
a good buy for a business user tax wise
but that is about it
I would be interested to know of good paint on any modern car? The only paint I have found to be good is on a new white sprinter van every other car has not been as good as I would have wanted, although when clean my black navara looks really good.

If you do a lot of miles its probably worth you buying a new one for the fuel cost saving alone, as posted above I get 29 to 30mpg on a new auto all day long.