Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

fault renault megane scenic 2003

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2010, 11:51 PM
Al9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy fault renault megane scenic 2003

hi, anyone had this problem in their scenic, coming back from stafford, the LOW BATTERY message came on along with the STOP/battery(symbol), this was in daylight so turned radio/heater etc off, the car drove as normal it would came on a few times when not moving very fast anyways it drove normal all the way home 230miles.the last 100miles i put the radio and heater on. anyways tried it out in the dark when i got home so lights on, the car started fine and drove fine but the message etc came on and stayed on. Is this a battery on the way out or an alternator issue. thanks
Old 11 October 2010, 11:01 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, electrical problems on a French car. That's almost unheard of!

Sounds like a loose/dodgy connection somewhere or the end of the road for your alternator. Check the leads into/out the alternator and of course the battery terminals.

You can actually drive quite a long distance on the battery alone before it gives up the ghost. I once managed about 40 miles in my Turbo 2 and then swapped for another fully-charged battery (on the hard shoulder of the M25 ) that I brought along with me to get me to my final destination for repair. This may be why you didn't actually have to stop, since presumably when the light went out again it started recharging the battery. In my case the main cable to the alternator had melted in the extreme heat of the confined engine bay and was totally disconnected: probably not a Megane issue though.

Either way I'd check it properly as you don't want to be left stranded.