Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

High mileage Audi S4 mapping

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2010, 09:13 PM
Triple filtered
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High mileage Audi S4 mapping

I've been offered a standard B5 S4 (265/265 I think) but it has 160k on the clock.

Now, I've had 5 Imprezas, all over 300bhp so I know 265 in a big heavy Audi wont do and I know these cars can be mapped to 330bhp but I'm a bit wary with this mileage although the majority of these cars are all well over 100k.

Has anyone on here had any experience with the S4's, mapped or not?

I've registered on the S4 forum but waiting to be ''verified''
Old 07 August 2010, 11:53 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Yeh - I had a B5 S4 Avant. My previous 2 Scoobs were fettled with too.

The BEST thing to do is get the car down to MRC (http://www.mrctuning.com/) for a healthcheck - they include this with the Stage 1 map anyway (worth it imho).

The issue isn't really the lack of horses. It's the handling. Get a better suspension setup on it and your laughing.

Usual stuff - map, Miltech system, RS4 brakes (it's a BIG car to stop!) and you'll have a car that will be pretty formidable. Especially as most of the competition runs out of puff over 100 mph. The Audi just keeps going.....

Downsides? The turbos. Or to be more accurate the oil lines. The later cars had better oil lines which stopped the turbos going.
It's expensive if they go. VERY expensive. Most people in that situation go for RS4 Turbos instead.
Tyres - the car's heavy and will eat them. Pilot Sports are the popular ones (but pricey imho). I had PS2s, then I went for Toyo Proxies.

I loved mine and ran it for 30K miles with light modding. That said, if you want a chuckable car - this is NOT the car for you. It's great as a commuter car/motorway muncher.
But to be honest, I got bored of it. Chopped it in for a modded Golf GTI mk5.

That said, the cabin is a lovely place to be (some don't like the hard seats - I loved them coz I've got a cr@p back!) - the build quality is something that Subaru can only dream of.
Servicing was cheap - I didn't bother with Audi, but went to my local garage who had experience with this marque and Scoobs/Rally stuff.

So yeh, go for it, but don't expect a Scooby - it's MUCH more grown up. I got no attention from plod nor from boy racers (except one who tried it on - I had an Avant and the look on his face as my Labrador in the boot eyeballed him as we went past was priceless! )

Good car, arguable that it's more moddable than the RS4 (more torque available IIRC), cheaper to run than an RS4. Pretty good Q-car.

Dan
Old 07 August 2010, 11:53 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Also forgot to add that the Bose stereo is one of the best sounding car systems I've ever heard. The head unit is **** and suffers from random "full-volume" episodes Fixable cheaply but involves sending the head unit off.

The only other annoyance is the DIS (Drivers Information System) - they ALL suffer from pixel fade. The fix was a new dash (expensive), but it never cured the problem. Even now.

There was a company who'd been able to repair them, but to be honest, it was around the time I was leaving the marque, so I don't know how successful it was.

So, the other sites to look at -

www.rs246.com
www.audisrs.com

Hope this helps

Dan

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 07 August 2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: double post + additional information!
Old 07 August 2010, 08:55 PM
Triple filtered
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555

So yeh, go for it, but don't expect a Scooby - it's MUCH more grown up.

Dan
This sounds exactly what I'm looking for.
Thanks for that, much appreciated.
Old 07 August 2010, 10:13 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
I got no attention from plod nor from boy racers (except one who tried it on - I had an Avant and the look on his face as my Labrador in the boot eyeballed him as we went past was priceless!
Like it.
Old 08 August 2010, 08:53 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

I've now got an S reg 2.4 V6 on 120K and still runs like new

Suspension is well and truly ****ed though most bushes are gone as are the shocks.