Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Nissan X-Trail 2.2 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2010, 01:08 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan X-Trail 2.2 Diesel

Hi, i'm after some advice my missus is still looking to get a 4x4 of some sort, and is considering a used x-trail, but i remember hearing of some real horror stories concerning the Nissan 2.2dci engine, which included snapping cranks and eating clutch's like they where going out of fashion, has anyone on here had any real world experiences of x-trails or info on the engines and car in general.
Old 27 July 2010, 01:30 PM
Chris 'n' Jen
Scooby Regular

A friend had one - blew the turbo at around 35k. Replaced at the time under warranty as apparently this is a “common problem”.

I looked at them when I got both of my foresters. IMO the forester wins hands down. Older foresters’ vs x-trails aren’t as economical though.

Old 27 July 2010, 02:19 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris 'n' Jen
A friend had one - blew the turbo at around 35k. Replaced at the time under warranty as apparently this is a “common problem”.

I looked at them when I got both of my foresters. IMO the forester wins hands down. Older foresters’ vs x-trails aren’t as economical though.

That's interesting, she looked at Forester's as well, and liked them but was'nt sure about fuel economy, do you have any idea's what real life economy of the Forester is?
Old 27 July 2010, 03:17 PM
Chris 'n' Jen
Scooby Regular

I had a 2003 XT (turbo model) I got around 25 – 28ish with that. Though if you could settle with the 2.0 N/A motor (123bhp or 155 bhp (after 2005 I think)) you would get a bit more mpg.

I now have a 2.0diesel and get between 40-50mpg.

Any info you need on foresters you could try www.subaruforester.org.
Old 27 July 2010, 06:23 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I have just ordered a new Nissan, while I was in the garage I sat in and played in every nissan car the X trail looks so dated when compared to the Qashqai especially the interior or do you need 4x4?
Old 27 July 2010, 08:02 PM
Jamiesti01
Scooby Regular

Hi, as a nissan mechanic id say stay well clear!!! ive replaced more turbo's and intercoolers than ive had hot dinners and the parts are not cheap. Also they suffer with faulty injectors and diesel pumps. Its a shame that the engine is so poor because the rest of the car isnt that bad.
hope it helps.
Old 27 July 2010, 08:48 PM
Chris 'n' Jen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamiesti01
Hi, as a nissan mechanic id say stay well clear!!! ive replaced more turbo's and intercoolers than ive had hot dinners and the parts are not cheap. Also they suffer with faulty injectors and diesel pumps. Its a shame that the engine is so poor because the rest of the car isnt that bad.
hope it helps.
as you work with/for nissan maybe you could answer my query - is the 2.2dci a renault engine. Im sure the Laguna amongst others has a 2.2 dci and also suffers with turbos etc?
Old 27 July 2010, 10:19 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Mrs D has had a DCI X-Trail for 4 years, intercooler was changed under warranty (originally they were pressed, so leaks are common.) The turbo let go at 78k miles, which Nissan wanted 1200 to do, a recon turbo and local garage did for 600. Otherwise it's been ace and would recommend. Just make sure the intercooler has been done.
(real mpg is 30)

D
Old 27 July 2010, 10:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I have to ask, if its the old shape x-trail...why?

My mate has a 2.5 petrol x-trail sport and I've driven it quite alot (he broke his foot, so I carted him about for a while) and can honestly say the only two things it has going for it is a) space and b) it was just a few grand to buy (petrol engine+4x4=crap residuals).

Other than that it really is a bit nasty to be honest, its not comfy, it doesn't go, it doesn't handle and the interior of a Ford Transit is much nicer, admittedly the 4x4 mode is needed as traction in 2wd mode in the wet is pretty poor - even on Michelin M+S tyres.

Having said that, it is better than an old shape Freelander (NCap 3 Austin Maestro on stilts), and those thing sold in droves, can't understand why

Ok, its the missus and she may know eff all about cars, but..unlesss you get it mega cheap, there has to be a better alternative? Like a Honda CRV which is a much nicer car to drive IMO (even if my grandad did use to own one ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 July 2010 at 11:01 PM.