Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Reasonably priced powerful diesels

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2010, 07:40 AM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reasonably priced powerful diesels

So managed to sell my car at the weekend and am now in a panic to replace it (cycling to work is just not for me).

I'm leaning towards the following but am trying to think of other options as the availability seems to be an issue:

Diesel engine
Estate / Hatchback
4wd
Automatic

Been hunting for A4 and A6 3.0 litres but any within a decent budget (£17000) seem to be high mileage.

Definately not looking at rear whel drive so that rules out the BMW, Merc and Jaguar.

Have sat inside the Legacy and it's not the nicest place to be plus it doesn't get very good write ups.

I quite like the look of the Skoda Octavia vRS CR TDi DSG but that's only got 170bhp.
And that engine is in all of the VAG cars.

Just trying to think what else is out there which is reasonably priced.
I know Audi have released the 233bhp diesels but they are still over the 20k mark.
Looked at the Ford ST TDCi but that has less than the VAG with 150bhp.

I also had a rush of madness and looked at a Subaru Forester STi which fair enough costs less than the diesel but I'll spend most of my money on petrol as well as depreciation on top. In addition to the fact the one I was looking at is 6 hours away and I don't really ant to do that again!
Old 13 July 2010, 08:05 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Legacy doesn't come with a powerful diesel.

Another possible option is Volvo - the D5 unit is 180bhp. Think you need an XC version to get AWD though.

Other than that, you're a bit stuck!
Old 13 July 2010, 10:59 AM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Well I've had a Legacy diesel ( Estate) for over 12 months now and I think it's a great car... Ok it doesn't have the power of my previous impreza and its not the quickest diesel out there but you can get it remapped to get a few more bhp and it handles great..

There's loads of room for carrying all the family stuff and I find it very a comfortable car for covering the long journeys to work. I very underated car IMHO
Old 13 July 2010, 12:45 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the_boy
So managed to sell my car at the weekend and am now in a panic to replace it (cycling to work is just not for me).

I'm leaning towards the following but am trying to think of other options as the availability seems to be an issue:

Diesel engine
Estate / Hatchback
4wd
Automatic

Been hunting for A4 and A6 3.0 litres but any within a decent budget (£17000) seem to be high mileage.

Definately not looking at rear whel drive so that rules out the BMW, Merc and Jaguar.

Have sat inside the Legacy and it's not the nicest place to be plus it doesn't get very good write ups.

I quite like the look of the Skoda Octavia vRS CR TDi DSG but that's only got 170bhp.
And that engine is in all of the VAG cars.

Just trying to think what else is out there which is reasonably priced.
I know Audi have released the 233bhp diesels but they are still over the 20k mark.
Looked at the Ford ST TDCi but that has less than the VAG with 150bhp.

I also had a rush of madness and looked at a Subaru Forester STi which fair enough costs less than the diesel but I'll spend most of my money on petrol as well as depreciation on top. In addition to the fact the one I was looking at is 6 hours away and I don't really ant to do that again!
You can get a Forester diesel. Remaps via ECUTEK to 180/330. Though that was P1doc's car. He seems to have done quite a lot to his so he may be worth a PM.

J.
Old 13 July 2010, 01:46 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Touareg 5.0 V10 TDi ?
Old 13 July 2010, 05:32 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

Touareg is massive, far too big

Legacy it's not juts the engine, the interiors aren't great.
Spec wise they aren't as good as some of the other brands.

Volvo is a good shout.
I'm currently looking....
Old 13 July 2010, 05:43 PM
Lord Bass
Scooby Regular

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1715170.htm

Trending Topics

Old 13 July 2010, 06:30 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

There's an XC70 (the offroaded version of the V70) D5 with 36k miles and all the toys for £18k and tonnes of other nice spec D5 engined car - my choice would be a V50 with R Design pack. £18k gets you an absolute belter of an example - sub 20k miler less than two years old with all the toys.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 13 July 2010 at 06:31 PM.