Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Jaguar X-Type 3.0 V6 Your Views?

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2002, 07:49 PM
DBDOM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HI all,

Just wondering if anyone had ever test drove a 3.0 V6 X-Type.
Old 30 March 2002, 08:42 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Yes.

Nice, refined, but no BMW 330/Merc C320/A4 3.0. If you like old-world british charm, then it is a consideration, but it is too 'old man' for me.

Drives well, but again set for comfort so a bit wallowy, too quiet and even more detatched/numb than the A4. Also a bit plasticy in places. Also not as quick as it should be? - I guess AWD transmission losses take up some of the grunt.

I came to the conclusion that it was probably the best british compact small exec, but as with most british products - still well behind the Germans

.....That being said, the X-Type 'R' will be worth a look
Old 03 April 2002, 08:40 AM
Mash
Scooby Regular

Me too, horrible clutch - you have to gun it to pull away without stalling and end up looking/sounding like a learner driver. Sister-in-laws got one too, says same thing. How they can produce a car that can't pull away on tickover heaven only knows...
Big dissapointment on the performance - but then again they have been slated in the press for over optermistic BHP figures.
Some transmission clunks and hunting sensation at slow speed which did not impress me either.
Give it a miss, better cars around for the same money...
Old 03 April 2002, 09:41 AM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

Dad has a new SE version in "AUTO"
very nice car but depends what you want
sport has much harsher suspension
but a nice drive all the same
in silver they look the nuts
i almost brought a 3 litre sport in black with red leather which looked superb but they were too new then
and i really wanted an ex demo so as not to loose so much money !
Old 03 April 2002, 06:46 PM
The Gravedigger
Scooby Newbie

Angry

.....That being said, the X-Type 'R' will be worth a look

W3RD. M5 performance for a lotta pounds less. And Ford/Jag are QS9000 100%, you won't find better build quality these days in a Beemer or anything for that matter.
Old 06 April 2002, 07:33 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

W3RD. M5 performance for a lotta pounds less. And Ford/Jag are QS9000 100%, you won't find better build quality these days in a Beemer or anything for that matter.
Are thinking of the S-type 'R'? Good, but no M5 same 400bhp, but softer and auto option - another old mans option The X-Type is the small one, no 'R' planned yet but inevitable, but doubtful it will be M3/M5 quick as no existing engine to use (V8 won't fit, supercharing V6 too expesive for 'limited' model).

The Jag quality issue. I have driven 2 X-types and 3 S-types. Build quality and cabin finish were far worse than my BMW 330d. Plastic were very plasticy and over-used, dash rattle on all 5 cars, centre consoles moved when pushed, switchgear flimsier and overall not as solid as the BM Not much better than the WRX - But then it is a Ford

As I said, nice cars, and good efforts for the first entry into two new markets, but you have to REALLY like old-world british charm, or be misguided enough to insist on 'buying british' to really choose one above the german offerings - in which case 'you' probably have a Rover 75
Old 06 April 2002, 08:01 PM
TimD
Scooby Regular

I've got a 3.0 X-Type Sport - it replaced my MY98 Scoob.

Is there anything in particular that you want to know? Some of the stuff above is true... some of it is not.
Old 08 April 2002, 09:13 AM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

I've tried a 3.0 Sport and a 2.0 Sport, and both had no rattles or any other interior trim problems. I've got a mate who works for Jag (a project engineer on the X-Type) so the 3.0 was one of the pre-production cars, and had a development clutch in, which I was told was sharper than usual. Still didn't cause any problems pulling away.

Great in corners, roundabouts etc, but a bit lacking in torque (more so with the 3.0, oddly, presumably because you expect big torque).

Nice car - but I'd have a 3-series instead.
Old 09 April 2002, 11:27 AM
mashwrx
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think in a few years time when they have developed it further it may well be a good option...Even though I realy like the look of them, the impression I was left with was it's a Ford with a Jaguar badge and very 'souless' to drive.

The entry level 2ltr seems to have been given a 'cool' reception so far, take away the 3ltr engine and 4x4 and what are you left with - this may tell a story as after all, even the entry level 3/5 series beemers get excellant reviews......

I dont think they offer the same value for money as other maques at the monent, in terms of build quality/driver experience...I think most people are simply going for the badge, after all it's different...