Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Boxsters - sport chassis

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2002, 10:22 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had my eye on one of these for a long time and now that the Scoob has gone, now may be the time.

Test drove both a 2.7 and an S at the weekend and they were both sweet.

To be honest, I didn't have the opportunity to see the real performance advantage that the S undoubtably has. The one I drove was running on 18" wheels (265 S02's at the rear) and the sport chassis. I thought it was almost too well planted and not as much fun as the 2.7 on 17s although I believe this one had the sports chassis too.

Evo Magazine state that the standard car is sweet enough and doesnt need the sport chassis. However as it is a relatively cheap option, I guess a lot of people go for it as they want to think that they are buying 'a sports car' after all, so it must have it! (and it lowers the car by 10mm which certainly helps the looks).

Anyone out there got any experience of the two set-ups?

I would go for a mint year old car if I could find one with a nice spec. but most of them seem to have the sport chassis and I think I don't need this. I may do a few track outings in it but nothing too serious.

I am tempted to configure a new 2.7 (standard chassis, 17's and a high interior spec.) They have already offered me 8% off list and delivery in three months! PS. I am in Switzerland.

What is the market like in the UK right now? (discounts/delivery times etc). The used prices on the PCGB website are scarily high by comparison.

Thanks for any input.
Old 26 March 2002, 07:11 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 27 March 2002, 02:17 AM
Silvia-S15-SpecR-Drifter
Scooby Newbie

i thought boxters were girl cars that's what they always say in top gear anyway and its not exactly the most powerful porsche its like the other end of the spectrum

i think a honda S2000 would be a better car to buy those rev to 9000rpm and have 240hp
Old 27 March 2002, 08:06 AM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Steven

we're selling ours. It's a Boxster S with standard suspension, silver, first registered 4/2000, only driven in summer as a second car by my mum. It only has 6'700 km, like new. Loads of add. equipment like PCD, climate controle, cruise controle etc. Let me know if you're interested. I can let you know the full spec then. I assume you're still in Switzerland.

Cheers

Mike
Old 27 March 2002, 08:40 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Scoobymike, YHM
Old 27 March 2002, 08:44 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Silvia-S15-SpecR-Drifter,

Texas. The land of Queers 'n' Steers. I don't see too many horns on you bubba!

The Honda S2000. Undoubtably a great engine, crap interior and fugly IMHO. If I wanted a high revving engine or more pwer to weight then I would choose a Megabusa engined Westfield or something.
Old 27 March 2002, 11:07 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

this sports chassis..........

please explain, do you mean you can buy a Porsche without a sports chassis? For 30 odd grand I'd expect a high performance sports car to have a sports chassis!!!
Old 28 March 2002, 09:35 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Mate at work had a 2.5 on 17's then a S on 18's - he reckons the 18's provide more ultimate grip, but once they let go its less controllable as the tyres are so low profile there's no flex at all. So if doing it again he would get 17's.
He's a very hard driver and reckoned traction control was a waste of time as it kicked in too early so he un-specified this on the S.
Old 28 March 2002, 10:50 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

The so called 'sports chassis' option is little more than uprated dampers and lower (10mm) springs.

It's a bit like putting the Prodrive handling package on your turbo I suppose. However, it is not adjustable so you are stuck with this hard(er) setup when you probably will benefit from it on track, or maybe up to half-the-time when you are giving it some stick. The rest of the time, it will just make it less comfortable.

I have read various bits about the PSM (Stability Control). Most say it is good but some say that it really isn't necessary on the Boxster as there is not really a huge surplus of power over grip.

Apparently, it allows you up to '7 degrees' of drift before it kicks in and you can of course switch it off!

I think it would make for safer driving in the wet/winter and I intend to drive it all year round. At £750, it is not cheap but cheaper than a set of winter wheels....

[Edited by Stephen Read - 3/28/2002 10:51:44 AM]