Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Honda Accord Type R 2.2 V-TEC....

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2010, 01:08 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Accord Type R 2.2 V-TEC....

Folks, im thinking about buying a year 2000 Honda Accord Type R as my daily driver and was looking for some pointers in the right direction as to any problem areas etc with the cars or what to look out for, and what are the opinions on them?

Im thinking that being a Honda they will be quite a good car and they have 220bhp so shouldnt be that sluggish, and they are quite well spec'd with Air Con, 17inch alloys, Recaro Interior etc

Any Honda gurus out there??

Cheers

Kevin
Old 25 March 2010, 02:04 PM
crofty
Scooby Regular

Not owned one, but driven a freinds several times, fantastic chassis, very revy engine with very little mid range but that vtec rush at the top of the rev's ,huge fun if your in the mood, all the usual checks crash damage, etc, watch out for gearbox syncro trouble's, a common fault I beleive.
Overall a fantastic car if you can find a good one !!
Old 25 March 2010, 02:06 PM
nie
BANNED

ave had one,really sore on fuel,and watch for gearbox trouble
Old 25 March 2010, 03:09 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

If its a 2000 it's probably a pre-facelift (electric aerial in rear wing rather than the bee sting type at the back of the roof amongst other things) which as people have mentioned can suffer from 5th Gear Synchro problems, anti roll bar links seem to be almost a consumable but are cheap enough. I don't find the fuel consumption that bad if driving sensibly, use the Vtec (as you will) and it is a different story. Gearing is quite low and I think there is less sound deadaning than a normal Accord so on long journeys the noise (engine and road) can become a bit grating but other than that they are great cars and really practical with a huge boot, no folding seats or any thing like that though.

Be careful with the aircon - it was an extra on pre-facelift cars (possibly post as well) but don't just assume it will have it if it is important to you.

Last edited by RJMS; 25 March 2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 26 March 2010, 12:13 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RJMS
....use the Vtec (as you will) and it is a different story....
Well im thinking of fitting a V-TECH controller if i get the car and bringing the V-TEC in at maybe 3500rpm or 4000rpm....maybe that would be a bit early though and harmful in the long run??

Thanks folks, some good pointers there.

Will have to watch for dodgy gearbox synchros and have also been told they can give driveshaft trouble so will keep an eye out for that too :smthumbup

Ive got two to look at, one standard with 91K miles MOT'd to October, the other with 97K miles, new coilovers, wheels just resprayed white, MOT'd for one year, both in and around £3500....will keep you all posted

Thanks again

Last edited by RB5 Boyo; 26 March 2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 28 March 2010, 03:30 AM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

I test drove one before my bug in Silver. Great car, fun, fast and vtec! 5spd short shift gear box etc. This was a 2000 plate. Didn't have rear electric windows. Do on 51plt onwards. Grill and badges are diff n all.

I looked on the Accord Type R Forum. And they gave me the buying guide. Helped me alot bud.

Only thing that stops me was I wanted the Flat Four Sound! I prob would look at another one if I change again. But I did also look at the Lexus IS200 Sport. Loved everything just lacked in power. Only 158bhp. What a car and spec tho.

Last edited by Razorwrx1; 28 March 2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 29 March 2010, 10:37 AM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Well....after a bit of haunting around and looking at various cars i have finally found a Honda Accord 2.2 V-TEC Type R in gleaming red

Really pleased with the car, 91k miles, pulls really well and VTEC kicking in at 5700rpm and reving to 8400rpm

Its got some nice we extras that none of the others i looke dat had like:

- standard Honda mini-disc player
- aircon
- front fogs
- alcantara armrest etc

Its got 91k miles and full Honda service history up to 86K, and a brand new set of Pirelli P-Zeros fitted along with an induction kit

Couple of pics:

Name:  Red1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  16.0 KB

Name:  Red1-2.jpg
Size:  20.7 KB

Plan to fit a full AEM inner wing induction kit, decat and exhaust system, coilovers , respray the wheels in Anthracite and also fit a Buddy Club V-TEC controller to bring in the V-TEC a bit earlier

Thanks to those for the buying advice from when i asked about the Type R's a few days ago

Last edited by RB5 Boyo; 29 March 2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 29 March 2010, 06:16 PM
geesta
Scooby Regular

That looks really good m8.
Old 29 March 2010, 09:53 PM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

That looks mint mate A proper good example! The mods you have planned sound great n all!

Post up some vids soon of the V-tec kicking in. I love it
Old 30 March 2010, 01:19 AM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Lol....its definately not a Subaru by no means but im well please with it, and it revs like a maniac from 6000rpm to 8500 but you need to be in the VTEC or else its a pile of pants

Really surprised though as it drives like a dream and the interior is fantastic with full Recaros and loads of goodies!!

Gave it a service tonight with some fresh oil and a set of rear pads to keep everything right and im in the proccess of getting a VTEC controller and fuel regulator to tune it up a bit and maybe a set of coilovers to get it lower (never happy i know lol)

Previous owner had just fitted a full set of Pirelli P ZERO Nero tyres and i cant get over how much grip they have, even in the wet and the slush tonight they were unbelievable, and i would never have looked at a Pirelli tyre before

Definately seems a great value for money car and its a big saloon so im happy enough....might actually hold onto it a while
Old 30 March 2010, 01:35 AM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5 Boyo
Lol....its definately not a Subaru by no means but im well please with it, and it revs like a maniac from 6000rpm to 8500 but you need to be in the VTEC or else its a pile of pants

Really surprised though as it drives like a dream and the interior is fantastic with full Recaros and loads of goodies!!

Gave it a service tonight with some fresh oil and a set of rear pads to keep everything right and im in the proccess of getting a VTEC controller and fuel regulator to tune it up a bit and maybe a set of coilovers to get it lower (never happy i know lol)

Previous owner had just fitted a full set of Pirelli P ZERO Nero tyres and i cant get over how much grip they have, even in the wet and the slush tonight they were unbelievable, and i would never have looked at a Pirelli tyre before

Definately seems a great value for money car and its a big saloon so im happy enough....might actually hold onto it a while

Glad your loving it mate. They are a Cracking Car. And for a 2.2lt Group 17 i think the Insurance isn't too bad either. And Fuel! These some times have your Wheels on here www.pxwheels.com - Blackpool, Lancashire, FY4 5LP - Homepage I checked when i nearly bought one.

These were helpful and friendly when i looking Honda Accord Type R Owners Club

Look forward to your mods and more pics mate. Keep us updated.

Must admit, for the money if i was looking now i've had a Scooby. I'd prob get one
Old 02 October 2010, 08:52 AM
scoobaru mad
Scooby Regular

I own an Accord type R. Had over a year now! They are crackin motors, ive quite a few modifications done. An i promise, you WILL shock alot of scoobys if you took it to the track.

But just reading your posts above. 6k vtec coming in. Redline at 8.5k.

You need tio be careful and get that checked and confimed, H22a7 engines dont like to rev past 8k. It can warp the crank or even throw a piston. Pistons are alot bigger and heavier in this engine than the B18 or K20´s.

Check you have a honda ecu behind the centre console under the dash.

Happy driving buddy! wise choice
Old 05 October 2010, 12:38 AM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

BRB, Vtech just kicked in yo.
Old 05 October 2010, 01:51 AM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Anybody got pics/vids of there ATR!
Old 05 October 2010, 01:21 PM
scoobaru mad
Scooby Regular

A few of the mods are:-

Stage 1 exedy clutch
XTD billet alumium
R7 Decat
PC680 odyessy battery
4-2-1 heatwrapped manifold
heatwrapped downpipe
Apexi VAFC 2
BD 12 grooved discs front and back with track pads
Tyhpoon heatwrapped induction kit with 100mm reducer from a pipercross filter
K1 race HT leads
Tein strut brace
TB coolant bypass
Oil catch tank
And more.....

Heres a small VIDEO clip of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vqVPpRycMU

And a few pictures

Name:  S5000467-1.jpg
Size:  108.0 KB Name:  S5000469-1.jpg
Size:  107.9 KB

Name:  S5000471.jpg
Size:  113.9 KB

Last edited by scoobaru mad; 05 October 2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05 October 2010, 11:27 PM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Looks and sounds great mate! Spent afew quid ant you. Saying that who hasnt. Ha. Keep us up dated and get some more vids up! Lol