Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

civic type r

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2010, 11:40 PM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default civic type r

Recently got my hands on 1 of these as a daily runner (52 plate) after yrs of my cousin tellin me they were brill and other friends also tellin me the same

I must say I am extremelly dissapointed in it and would not rate it at all , Yeah it drives comfortable and seems to handle well its got an air filter and zorst but thats it , i know its a daily runner but it just does not do it for me

the car will be going up for sale soon as i get log book
Old 23 March 2010, 12:08 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I've always wondered about ctr's (as people seem to rate them highly) but I had an S2000 a few years ago that was slow enough for me!

Last edited by jameswrx; 23 March 2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 23 March 2010, 09:31 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

For a daily runner I dont think it would be that good (and I've had an 03 plate when it was new for 2 years), suspension too harsh for bumpy roads and have to rev it hard to get the performance. But as a weekend car on the right road so much fun !

Richard
Old 23 March 2010, 10:11 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You probably just need to adjust your driving style and expectations. I've had an S2000 and an STI-5 which are at the opposite end of the specutrum in terms of power delivery.

When I had the S2000 I did crave that turbo-nutter shove, but I loved that peaky linear delivery.

However, when I had the STI I craved peaky linear delivery and revs, but loved the turbo-nutter shove.

In short, unless you can afford a turbo'd 6.0l+ v8+ then you are pretty much destined to be unhappy with whichever compromise you've made this time around
Old 23 March 2010, 02:26 PM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

I hate the fact i have to rev the nackas off it to get it do anything and i've tried to like it driving hard aound a number of roads / lanes

think i might just get a standard uk scoob as a daily runner as it ticks the boxes for me although i just drove my m8's r26 and oh how awesome that was

what can i get for 4.5 - 5k decent daily runner

Last edited by Bealescooby; 23 March 2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 23 March 2010, 02:27 PM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

oh and i got 2 kids to get in the back
Old 23 March 2010, 04:10 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

You either love the CTR or hate, most hate it becuase they can't live with the thrash it to get anywhere feel of the car.

They are nothing more than very ordinary below 6k (and therefore fairly economical below this) but in vtec (6k to 8.2k) they are totally different, problem is trying to stay in vtec, its a totally different way of driving, trying to keep the revs always high and in the "zone". I came from a 350bhp (mapped for low lag) turbo'd pulsar and the CTR has taken some time to get use to.

You can improve it, a Honda Kpro remap can drop the vtec cut in to 4.5k and increase the limiter to 8.6k nearly doubling the power band and less chance of dropping out, improving the mid range and adding a few at top too.

As saxoboy said, Vtec's don't feel as fast a the same power turbo's, but when using the vtec properly the performance figures and times I've come across other cars proved they aren't that slow when rev'd. They are no rocket ship I know, but they'll keep up with R26's, ST's and Cupras when driven in vtec. The R26 has it through and out of the corners but an LSD will sort that out.

On track they can be awesome (I bought my especially to do trackdays more often), great if setup well (change the geometry) with an added LSD, on a B road and really going for it with continuous high revs they can be very addictive and damn good fun, but as an everyday car if you like driving fast with the performance being there when you want it, then look elsewhere, they are certainly not lazy cars, and need reving the guts out of, and they'll take it all too.

I've been on a few driving meets around the Brecons and when we all stopped, the CTR owners all got out all buzzing having worked really hard, the ST, Gti and few others were all relaxed. I much prefer to know I've worked hard for my driving thrills.

An on or off car and way of driving. Hate it or love it.

Last edited by nisr227; 23 March 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 23 March 2010, 04:48 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

I borrowed a mates New shape Civic type R on one of the days that it wasn't actually in the garage for a fault and it must be said, it was boring, holding in gear and thwapping the **** off it all the time was no fun.

The Drive was quite firm, the handling good and the interior is really nice, loads of space but it wasn't enough to make up for the lack of power and excitement.

Each to their own.
Old 23 March 2010, 06:25 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I used to like having to rag cars to get the best of them but now it bores me. It must now have plenty of torque be it from a big block, a turbo (or two) or both

Unless in Mrs Matt's Jimny - which has 85ish lbs/ft and is a 16V VVT so needs merciless thrashing!
Old 23 March 2010, 08:10 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Supercharger....

Next question ?

(Mine pulls from 3500 to nearly 8K rpm, what fun is VTEC ?)

dunx

Last edited by dunx; 23 March 2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 24 March 2010, 09:22 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Depends what your daily run is like and what you want to spend on running costs. Ive got the new shape (FN2) CTR and its no rocket ship especially when you have more than 1 passenger but I bought it (well leased it actually) for a cheap to run car with a bit of poke if I want to have a blast every now & again. The suspension is hard and gets easily unsettled on bumpy roads and it does lack traction as no LSD unless you have a CW or one of the new Mugens. But I only do a 7mile commute each way to work and when I do go further afield its very comfortable cruising on the motorway and gets around 35mpg. Yes you have to drive it hard to go fast but the vtec howl is pretty addictive. It costs peanuts to run compared to a Scoob in terms of insurance, tax, servicing. mpg and tyres. In a straight line there wont be much in it with a standard WRX. I remember back in my MY00 Turbo (218bhp) not being able to gain much if anything on the old shape CTR (EP3 - 197bhp) once rolling. The scoobs handling and 4wd is better suited to driving fast on A & B roads thats for sure and overtaking was a lot easier.

Simon
Old 25 March 2010, 01:45 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Type-R cars/VTEC engines are like Marmite......

and you'll never convince someone who hates it, that it is any good.

Love them myself! always have and always will

Last edited by Fabioso; 25 March 2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 26 March 2010, 02:26 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I have had one. Liked it a lot. Only a 205Gti is better FWD car IMHO.
Old 26 March 2010, 02:52 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I had a new one in 2003 for just over a year.
Liked it at first but quickly became bored of thrashing it and the electro steering wasn't brilliant.

Well engineered though, with a lovely gearbox and all felt very solidly built.