MG ZR opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2010, 07:48 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to

MG-Rover.org - The unofficial MG and Rover enthusiasts website

There will be tons of advice on there for you from tons of owners, you might find a good one for sale too
Old 17 March 2010, 08:14 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Do the ZR's use the same K series engine so have the same head gasket issues?
Yes. Same issues; let it air lock or overheat, it'll blow.

However if repaired with Land Rover sourced parts (there is a retrofit for the Freelander - which uses the same engine) which included a updated gasket design and reinforced block ladder. Once done it should no longer be an issue or concern.

Does the Diesel also have the same issues?
No its a Perkins engine (updated Montego engine ). It doesn't suffer HG failure like the old Peugeot diesel found in the old 200 series (as in the Honda concerto shape). However like many modern cars, its prone to MAF failure; moreso than most. They can also suffer fuel pump problems which makes them run rough or not run at all.

Other than that; usual Rover build quality. Not brilliant, but there is worse.
Old 17 March 2010, 08:55 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by **************
I had a Rover 214si for the wife that was the cheapest best little car i've ever bought but got rid of it due to it being cat c and looking a mess.

Now i'm thinking about getting the MG ZR for her in either the 1.4 petrol or the diesel so either 105bhp in the petrol (which I think the Rover was) or 115bhp in the diesel. Only going for the MG as it is looks nicer than the standard 214s.

Do the ZR's use the same K series engine so have the same head gasket issues? Does the Diesel also have the same issues?

I know so many people who say don't touch Rover with a barge pole but that 214si had years of use and was fantastic and never let me down once. Even the bloke who bought it was very happy with it when he came to see it.

Are the MG's a lot more to insure/service/maintain than the standard Rover's because you pay a premium for the different badge?

Opinions welcome (will also be reading up on the Rover/MG forum but can be a little biased obviously as it is all enthusiasts).

Oh and I want one for about 2k so will that get a decent one pre face lift?
not you again bravo
Old 17 March 2010, 09:34 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I had a zr for about 2 years, paid 3k for a 1.4 with 27k on the clock. Some of the trim was a bit tatty but mechanicaly she ran like a dream, covered around 25 - 30k in her and no problems whatsoever with regular servicing. She handled nice, but I would go for one with a bigger engine if I were you, the 1.4 is pretty gutless if you're used to driving anything with a bit of power !
Old 17 March 2010, 10:06 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the BRM 200, drove really well, the Head Gasket went, end of story.