Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Is there a Beetle forum anywhere??

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2002, 10:43 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just enquiring for a friend, she has a new Beetle and wondered if there was a web site for them?

Lee
Old 23 March 2002, 04:26 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Club Concept is the best New Beetle club in the UK (gotta say that, I'm a member ). Its website is www.newbeetle.org.uk You dont have to be a member of the club to use the forums. Here you will find many different New Beetle enthusiasts - some are 'old skool' air cooled fans, some are not; some are into modifying in a big way, some are not; and so on...a great mix of people. This would be the best one I reckon. Paul and Chris, the guys that run it, are great and always willing to help - on just about anything it seems!! - as are the other members. They also have a great shop for some aftermarket goodies at www.bugcessories.com .

There is also an American site (with a very similar url) which is at www.newbeetle.org and there is a general VAG (but mainly just VW) site at www.vwvortex.com Again this is American, but it is huge and has many people from all over the world.

Edited to amend urls

[Edited by JohnMcC - 3/23/2002 4:31:07 AM]
Old 23 March 2002, 09:56 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Many Thanks John! ill pass that on!
may even have a nosey myself

Lee
Old 24 March 2002, 01:52 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

No worries mate

Here's my Beetle out of interest. Just got my 19s back from Spit and Polish:

And this club members is currently doing the rounds in the mags - Performance VW, Redline and Lax Power to date. Another member's should be in the next issue of Redline too.

19s again, plus too many other mods to mention like turboed, nos, loads of ice - currently off the road having a full engine rebuild where he is adding such things as an FMIC etc...

These bugs can be deceptively quick, especially now the 1.8T is avialable in this country (although neither of the bugs above are 1.8Ts, theyre the 2 litre ones).

If your friend joins in, she'll have to say hi - my username is the same over there.

Cheers

John
Old 24 March 2002, 11:48 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hiya John!
Hey those 2 beetles look pretty trick!
i suppose with the A3/golf chassis and the 1.8t engne which lends itself quite nicely i believe to a few mods they should go and handle like the puppys nuts!

Its amazing how 19' wheels transform a car!

ill pass on the web addresses on monday! ill tell her your username and to say hello! she will be blown away with the pics, i suppose theres lots of photo's about to look at!

shes called bex so god knows what username she will use, she has a blue Y reg 1.6, insurance to high for anything else

cheers Lee
Old 27 March 2002, 12:13 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

(Sorry, Ive been away for a few days)

Nice to see you made it over

Your right, those 1.8Ts are ok Problem is uprating the rest of the stuff to cope with the power - the engine is very tunable, at least from the 150 bhp that comes in the beetle at the moment. Ive still got the 115 bhp 2.0 which is virtually the same as the 1.6 I beleive, at least in performance (or lack of ). Im now undecided about whether to change to a 1.8T beetle or get something like a scooby/evo - I know what everyone here would say, but a chipped 1.8T beetle is quite a laugh - certainly embarrases a few people.

Im glad you liked the site too - a lot of effort is put into it.

If you or Bex ever need anything over there dont hesitate to ask.

Cheers

John

[Edited by JohnMcC - 3/27/2002 12:13:21 AM]