Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

BMW 335d Touring or 320d Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2010, 12:35 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW 335d Touring or 320d Touring?

Thought I would throw this over to the SN masses as we have a few Beemer owners now, and I just can't decide what to do.

I'm trying to buy a new BMW Touring for the Mrs. Budget is roughly £23-24k which consists of £16k max cash and our 56 plate Civic which is worth roughly £10k retail, so I'm hoping for £8k PX value from BMW but they may only offer £7k.

I was all set to go for a 320d M Sport Touring, but as I started looking I became interested in the 335d specs/stats and started thinking about selling my Focus ST for a 335d Coupe at £20k ish, and going with the 320d touring for the Mrs at circa £18k.

But this doesn't make sense for the 4k miles a year I do to have a 335 coupe sat around, as the ST is paid for and cheapish to run, plus spending nearly £40k on 2 BMW's is a bit daft IMO.

So I then decided to keep the ST and just up the budget for the Mrs car to the £23/24k as listed above which then meant we could get her a 335d touring and have the best of both worlds.

One problem is we want the top spec M Sport version, it must have Pro satnav, Leather, folding mirrors, auto lights/wipers, xenons etc and anything else we are used to which means there is only 1 or 2 335d's at any given time, and even the 320d's are scarce with those options.

I've recently missed out on about 5 cars that have sold within hours of going up!!

And now to my final dilemna.

Here is a good 335d that I can probably get within budget:

Approved Used BMW

And here is a nice example 320d that is also within budget.

Approved Used BMW

The problem is, I just can't get away from the fact that although they are both similar money, the 335d is 3 years old with nearly 40k miles and won't have a warranty as of September, plus has higher running costs for tax, tyres etc.

So what do I do, not worry about the mileage and go for the 335d or just be happy with a 320d with 2 years warranty and much lower miles as it's mainly for the mrs to drive?

And then what will the values of each be in 3 years time, as the 320d is much further up the depreciation curve than the 335d?

It is for the Mrs, so power isn't that important for most of the time, but I had talked myself into the 335d and the auto box.

So what would SN do?
Old 22 February 2010, 12:43 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I can't see the obsession with "toys" - even with no options at all, the 335d is well specced. The 320d isn't bad either but I just don't like them M Sported up - all show, not much go.

However the 320d is a lot better on fuel and the CO2 emissions are tiny. The engine is a good one but don't forget that the 3 series touring is heavy - it needs a fair bit of oomph to get it going properly.

I seem to get loads of aggro from M Sported 320ds - not sure why. Never get any from 335is or 335ds - not that there are many about.

Relax the must haves (TBH very few 335ds come without leather and xenons, pronav goes out of date quickly and drives me nuts , auto wipers are standard, all have folding mirrors - just not always electric) and you'll get a low miler 335d that is in a totally different league to the 320d. Or check out a few 330ds too.
Old 22 February 2010, 12:49 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Oh and they have just reduced that 335d - kick them in the nuts and offer them £23k.
Old 22 February 2010, 01:01 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Oh and they have just reduced that 335d - kick them in the nuts and offer them £23k.
Yes, I've been watching that 335d for a while now.

I'm a gadget freak so I like my toys, and I am used to things like auto lights/wipers, cruise control etc as the Civic is specced up and they do add value to the driving experience for me - my ST has no options and it drives me mad when it's stop/start raining and I have to keep adjusting the wipers speed, whereas the Civic just does it all on auto.

Minor things, but useful when you are on a long journey and have screaming kids to sort out, as you know.

It's mainly the warranty thing that bothers me as I know how valuable it is from our last BMW that cost £3800 for the new engine which was just in warranty, phew.

Running costs aren't too different on those two examples above, 335d 57 plate is £200 tax and the 320 is £120 per year, fuel econ will be 10-15mpg difference I guess (35 vs 45mpg with my Mrs driving - she gets 42mpg during the week in the Civic). Insurance is about £100 a year more on the 335d.
Old 22 February 2010, 01:07 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Well even with no options at all you get auto lights, auto wipers (the best I have ever used) , cruise control, auto dimming windscreen mirror, very pleasant interior lighting, the genius "puddle lights" (shine down from the door handles), can close everything from the key fob when you lock it (windows, sunroof), cool built in torch for the glovebox and loads of other goodies. The 335d isn't as high specced as some cars but it gets a fair bit more than the 320d - which has a really annoying cruise control (six pots get a much better system), the hateful "stop start" system that turns the engine off, doesn't get auto drying brakes (brilliant), has electrically assisted steering (35d and 35i get proper hyrdraulic steering), etc.
Old 22 February 2010, 01:57 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough, the stop/start system on the 320d is quite appealing to me, probably because I seem to spend hours in traffic jams whenever I drive anywhere although it's not a deal breaker.
Old 22 February 2010, 02:20 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

You can change it via the OBC but it nearly made me crash twice!

Trending Topics

Old 23 February 2010, 02:38 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Thought I would throw this over to the SN masses as we have a few Beemer owners now, and I just can't decide what to do.

I'm trying to buy a new BMW Touring for the Mrs. Budget is roughly £23-24k which consists of £16k max cash and our 56 plate Civic which is worth roughly £10k retail, so I'm hoping for £8k PX value from BMW but they may only offer £7k.

I was all set to go for a 320d M Sport Touring, but as I started looking I became interested in the 335d specs/stats and started thinking about selling my Focus ST for a 335d Coupe at £20k ish, and going with the 320d touring for the Mrs at circa £18k.

But this doesn't make sense for the 4k miles a year I do to have a 335 coupe sat around, as the ST is paid for and cheapish to run, plus spending nearly £40k on 2 BMW's is a bit daft IMO.

So I then decided to keep the ST and just up the budget for the Mrs car to the £23/24k as listed above which then meant we could get her a 335d touring and have the best of both worlds.

One problem is we want the top spec M Sport version, it must have Pro satnav, Leather, folding mirrors, auto lights/wipers, xenons etc and anything else we are used to which means there is only 1 or 2 335d's at any given time, and even the 320d's are scarce with those options.

I've recently missed out on about 5 cars that have sold within hours of going up!!

And now to my final dilemna.

Here is a good 335d that I can probably get within budget:

Approved Used BMW

And here is a nice example 320d that is also within budget.

Approved Used BMW

The problem is, I just can't get away from the fact that although they are both similar money, the 335d is 3 years old with nearly 40k miles and won't have a warranty as of September, plus has higher running costs for tax, tyres etc.

So what do I do, not worry about the mileage and go for the 335d or just be happy with a 320d with 2 years warranty and much lower miles as it's mainly for the mrs to drive?

And then what will the values of each be in 3 years time, as the 320d is much further up the depreciation curve than the 335d?

It is for the Mrs, so power isn't that important for most of the time, but I had talked myself into the 335d and the auto box.

So what would SN do?
I'd ask the Mrs what she thinks

Seriously - if she'll be driving it most of the time, would she prefer a younger 320d or an older/leggier 335d?

The 320d is hardly slow - probably on a par if not faster than the civic it will be replacing. Sure, its no 335d, but it's still a nice car.

Personally, outright performance is becoming less and less important, especially on a daily driver.

For a weekend car, different story, and I'm currently looking for ways to justify something like this

Dick Lovett Sporting ltd : Atom2

for some summer fun

So, ask the wife, not the Scoobynet masses
Old 23 February 2010, 03:19 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I'd love to run an Atom - soooooo damn cool and fast!

For reference, Mrs Matt LOVES the 335d and it's poke. She did learn to drive in an Impreza Turbo though...
Old 23 February 2010, 03:47 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

The Mrs isn't really bothered about cars, but she did enjoy owning the old BMW we had and she wants an estate so either model will do.

I do all the fixing, servicing and sorting out so the main criteria for her is reliability and comfort, the speed bit is for me as it's me that drives it every weekend and on any long journey's though, hence why the 335 has been thrown into the mix.

The car age doesn't bother her, although the Civic is a 56 plate so for me I would prefer a newer car than that.

Tough choice, and we haven't driven any yet either so I've been trying to find some local today that I can test - my local BMW dealer has a 335d coupe in so I may give that a whirl first, then try the 320.

If we bought the 335 above, then in 3 years it will have done 65k miles (the family car does about 9/10k miles a year) and be 6 years old, and possibly still worth say £12k? The 320d would be 4 years old, have 40k ish miles and probably worth the same?
Old 23 February 2010, 04:00 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Do try a 330d too - sort of "in the middle" and it still has that nice six pot roar!
Old 24 February 2010, 12:13 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Do try a 330d too - sort of "in the middle" and it still has that nice six pot roar!
That's a good shout Matt.

A colleague has a 330d touring and he raves about it as a great allrounder.

Probably not that much slower in the real world than a 335d
Old 24 February 2010, 12:21 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Indeed there's not much in it at all, especially with the latest 330ds. You just don't get that seamless delivery you get with two turbos.

The performance gap does increase at higher speeds but it's not a massive difference.
Old 24 February 2010, 12:57 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Pity they still don't do a 323d (as per 123d )- all the benefits of the 2.0 4pot but with the twin turbos and added poke.
Old 24 February 2010, 01:14 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

Hey Simon. If it were me i'd get the one your heart says, and not the head; get bored too quickly.

That's why I went from ordering a 1 year old 123d 3 door to a brand new 135i coupe, with almost every option! You can easily get 10% knocked off a used car from BMW, did it loads of times in the past few weeks. I even got 19% and 17% knocked off a new 123d and 135i coupe recently.

Sean
Old 24 February 2010, 01:21 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Pity they still don't do a 323d (as per 123d )- all the benefits of the 2.0 4pot but with the twin turbos and added poke.
A subject of much discussion on BMW geek websites! No sure why they didn't use it - some sort of branding thing I guess?

Rb5 - nice one! Those 135is are evil! Enjoying it?
Old 24 February 2010, 01:42 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I think I've set my sights on the 335 now.

Although it means a slightly older car, we get so much extra oomph and better spec for not much higher running costs per year - think I worked out last night circa £650 a year extra for the 335 on fuel, tax, insurance etc which is fine.

Still want to drive one though, wonder if my local BMW dealer will let me out in the 335d coupe they have in, it's a 59 plate with only 1700 miles so they may be reluctant as I'm not wanting to buy it.
Old 24 February 2010, 01:59 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Dream - if you say you are looking for a Touring but a Coupe will have to do, I'm sure they'll be fine.

Insurance is grp 18 and cheapish (well it was for me and Mrs Matt), tax is just over £200 pre ED, more like £170ish post ED. I get 31mpg average but cane it. An ED one will get 2-3mpg more. Stay below 3k rpm (when the big turbo kicks in) and the mpg jumps a lot - over 40mpg.

Good luck!
Old 24 February 2010, 05:41 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Insurance is circa £550 for the mrs, not much more than the Civic, the tax goes up in April to £200 ED and £245 pre ED which is fine by me, same bracket as the ST.

I am getting concerned at tyre prices though, just read a post on bmwland and a user said his rears only last 5k and they are £265 each with fronts lasting 15k at £235 each - seems a bit steep, so I assume they are the RFT's? Just paid £470 for 4 Toyo T1R's on the ST fitted.

I bet the 320 tyres aren't much less though so not to worry I guess, plus we should get more than 5k out of them with the Mrs driving it mostly.

Only other concern is the mention of 335d turbo's failing in the 530/535d post in here as that happened on our old 320 and is a pain.
Old 24 February 2010, 06:09 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Depends on the model you get - if you get an M Sport (which you probably will) you have 255/35 18" rears which cost a bomb and 225/40 18" fronts which aren't so bad - they are RFT as standard (PS2s on the M Sports I think). Non RFTs are cheaper by about 30% but you'll still need at least £800 for a full set. Yes they look nicer (to most) but they don't have many/any benefits and cost a hell of a lot more. Plus the M Sport wheels are prone to cracking.

If you get an SE, it has 17" 225/45s all round - I just got four non RFT Conti SC3s for £135 each - not bad at all. My previous tyres had 22k on them (one had been replaced) - the rears were gone but the front had 3ish mm left. If you got 5k miles, that would mean utterly mental driving/doughnuts, etc all day long!

TBH I'm pretty sure the turbo failures apply to the early model 535ds with less power and torque. I've heard no issues with the 335d on E90Post which is the font of all 335d knowledge!

Last edited by Matteeboy; 24 February 2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 25 February 2010, 10:32 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Matt, do you know when ED came in on the 335d?

I thought it was 57 plate on as per the 320d but it may be 08 plate on, I can't find anything.
Old 25 February 2010, 01:08 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

It might just be late enough for ED - it came in at 57 plate/2008 but not sure which month.
Old 25 February 2010, 01:11 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

The tax price seems to change at Sept 2007 which is the 57 plate, but that may just be Parkers that is wrong.
Old 25 February 2010, 01:37 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't trust Parkers 100% - they get a few things wrong. Probably best just to call a stealer or ask on E90Post (UK section).
Old 26 February 2010, 11:02 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Depends on the model you get - if you get an M Sport (which you probably will) you have 255/35 18" rears which cost a bomb and 225/40 18" fronts which aren't so bad - they are RFT as standard (PS2s on the M Sports I think). Non RFTs are cheaper by about 30% but you'll still need at least £800 for a full set. Yes they look nicer (to most) but they don't have many/any benefits and cost a hell of a lot more. Plus the M Sport wheels are prone to cracking.

If you get an SE, it has 17" 225/45s all round - I just got four non RFT Conti SC3s for £135 each - not bad at all. My previous tyres had 22k on them (one had been replaced) - the rears were gone but the front had 3ish mm left. If you got 5k miles, that would mean utterly mental driving/doughnuts, etc all day long!

TBH I'm pretty sure the turbo failures apply to the early model 535ds with less power and torque. I've heard no issues with the 335d on E90Post which is the font of all 335d knowledge!
Not quite true for the sizes on some SEs at least - my wife's car is a 320D SE Touring, which has 225/45 17s on the front and 255/40s 17s on the rear.

The 320d isn't fast, but has enough for everyday use, is great on a cruise etc. The newer 330d with 241bhp is decently quick for an estate. And if you want a proper sports car, don't get a 1500kg+ diesel estate!
Old 27 February 2010, 08:41 AM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hades

The 320d isn't fast, but has enough for everyday use, is great on a cruise etc. The newer 330d with 241bhp is decently quick for an estate. And if you want a proper sports car, don't get a 1500kg+ diesel estate!
So true! My missus has an E46 320d sport touring that has been chipped and it is more than fast enough for everyday use. If you want something sporty for the weekend, I would have thought your ST would be more fun?
Old 27 February 2010, 01:04 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Sorry but the chassis, the RWD and engine in the 335d makes it very "fun" indeed.
Old 01 March 2010, 11:25 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I have to say, I am going more for the head than the heart now.

I did as Devildog said and actually asked the Mrs properly, and she would prefer a newer 320d with less miles than a older higher mile 335d.

They are both the same cost, around £25k and the 320 will lose more in depreciation as it will be a 58/09 plate but we aren't too worried with that.

I also like having a car that gets good MPG which balances out the shocking 22mpg that my ST gets and I know if we got a 335 I would only get 28-30mpg max out of it when driving which would annoy me quickly.

So, we are swaying towards the 320d now - going to test a auto one locally to see what that box is like as I really did fancy an auto this time. Will then test a manual as well.
Old 01 March 2010, 06:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

My missus would go for the 320d, anyone with common sense would go for the 320d but us petrolheads being males want the one that accelerates quickly, the 320d has enough acceleration for any motoring occasion and enough to be brisk, they will drive pretty much the same when driving normally and the view from the drivers seat will look the same (apart from some tedious BMW style trim differences but you can up spec 320d's and 335d's with no options specified), the 335d is auto only which I suppose depends whether you like auto's. 320d will be cheaper to insure, tax, service and be better on fuel.

Basically all the merits of the standard car are present in both but the 335d gets more acceleration.
Old 01 March 2010, 11:19 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Per year and all in, fuel, tyres, tax, servicing etc the 335 is £66 a month more to run than the 320 which is not insignificant for a bit more oomph, especially as I would very rarely drive it on my own and use the extra power.

A remap on the 320 will see 220bhp which is fine by me.

Quick Reply: BMW 335d Touring or 320d Touring?