2009 Mini Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2010, 10:32 AM
lee1184
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Mini Cooper

Hi All,

Has anyone got or know anyone with a '09 Mini cooper with a leak coming from the front windscreen??

If you have please could you let me know how it was sorted?

Cheers,
Lee
Old 15 February 2010, 12:45 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Under warranty i presume........
Old 15 February 2010, 12:55 PM
lee1184
Scooby Regular

Yeah it is, they said that it needs to have the windscreen removed and then re-bonded.

From what i know about this though there is little chance of them getting the screen out without damage.. but i will have to wait and see.

There have been a few issues with it though (not just the leak) and the service we get where i am is not great.. but its the only dealer on the island so i have got to put up with it.
Old 15 February 2010, 12:56 PM
Vr5RA_Matchew
Scooby Regular

I work at Bmw/Mini fella just book in at you local dealer it will either be the top seal needs replacing or the screen resealing will be under warranty so no cost to yourself
Old 15 February 2010, 01:06 PM
lee1184
Scooby Regular

Yeah its booked in i just wanted to know if its a common problem as it took them nearly a week of having the car to find the leak, also it had a problem with the start/stop function was some sort of sensor/swicth in the gearbox that needed to be replaced. it worked for a few days after it was fixed now it has stopped working again.

Also it seems as they have scuffed the leather on the steering wheel so that needs to be replaced too, i wont be happy if they just offer some sort of fix for it as it wont last forever so i think the only option there is to replace it.
Old 15 February 2010, 07:53 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

The wife has a 2007 Cooper and no leaks and i've not read about any.
Maybe your unlucky.
As for dealers, ours haven't been the best shall we say.......
Old 16 February 2010, 07:55 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

I work for BMW/MINI too. The windscreens were quite common on the old ones (r50-53) The new ones are fairly good TBH, has the car got a sunroof? That can cause what looks like a screen leak, but is in fact the roof leaking into the car! Keep us posted on the performance of the dealer mate.
Old 16 February 2010, 07:57 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

I work for BMW/MINI too. The windscreens were quite common to leak from the seals/bonds on the old ones (r50-53) The new ones are fairly good TBH. Has the car got a sunroof? That can cause what looks like a screen leak, but is in fact the roof leaking into the car! Keep us posted on the performance of the dealer mate.
Old 16 February 2010, 11:13 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

I had a car that leaked due to the windscreen (a Ford not a Mini though). They "rebonded" it and it stopped leaking but instead used to whistle like a "bastad" at about 70-80ish. Only having a brand new windscreen fitted sorted the issue. It turned out there was actually a problem with the original screen and not just the seals.

Good Luck in getting it sorted

Last edited by Fabioso; 16 February 2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 17 February 2010, 09:49 AM
lee1184
Scooby Regular

Hi All

Thanks for the comments, i am going back to the dealer today to show them the scuff on the steering wheel to see what they say..

On the leak side of things, luckily enough its not been raining heavily here for the past few days so its not bad at all..

Lee
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Scuff.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	3454  
Old 17 February 2010, 10:38 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

They will try to wiggle out of it buddy. They usually have a damage report on the back of the job card- they'll point to that and say "it wasn't like that when we last saw the car" Stay persistant, insist on speaking to the service manager if the advisor isn't listening, and keep calm otherwise you'll get nowhere shouting (seen this first hand at my dealership)
Best of luck.
Old 17 February 2010, 11:02 AM
lee1184
Scooby Regular

Yeah thats exactly what i expect them to do, so if they do i have got the contact name and number of the service managers boss so i will speak to him, then if i get no luck there i will contact Mini Directly and express my dis-satisfactioin with the service i have recieved from thier local agent.

I know i have got to keep calm shouting gets no-where (In the job i do people think that if they shout at me they will get things done quicker, but infact i put their probelm to the bottom of the pile of jobs )
Old 17 February 2010, 11:15 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lee1184

I know i have got to keep calm shouting gets no-where (In the job i do people think that if they shout at me they will get things done quicker, but infact i put their probelm to the bottom of the pile of jobs )
Exactamundo mate!
Yeah keep calm, express the fact of what you paid and the level of aftercare you expect take it to the dealer principle, and if still no joy- mini customer services. I'm sure they'll buckle in the end. I think they'd rather your business over the cost price of banging another wheel on there.
Matt.
Old 17 February 2010, 01:21 PM
lee1184
Scooby Regular

Right been to the dealer........ and they didnt put up any fight just said oh well we will have to put a new wheel on for you..

Seems to me that they knew it was there and would't have said anything unless i noticed it.. but that might just be my way of looking at it?!?!?
Old 17 February 2010, 01:24 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Thats what most do. If the customer doesn't complain, don't bring it to their attention. Glad that bit got sorted. What about the leak?
Old 17 February 2010, 02:02 PM
lee1184
Scooby Regular

The leak should be sorted the first week of March when it goes in to have the windscreen re-bonded (or replaced if they break it, which they probably will as i know how hard they are to get out)

hopefully that will be the end of it then..

After that i think i am going to get OEM Mini parts and get the servicing done somewhere else.
Old 17 February 2010, 02:26 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Best to get OEM imo. The parts carry a two year warranty. Not to mention some of us on here can get you discount!
Old 17 February 2010, 02:33 PM
lee1184
Scooby Regular

If i did that would i invalidate the car warranty?? i dont think i do so long as i use OEM parts.

When i do get round to having it serviced in July i might just happen to drop a thread on here to get the parts..
Old 27 February 2010, 05:03 PM
FishBoy99
Scooby Newbie

Default Mini Cooper S 2002- water coming out of the rear view mirror!!!

Hello all,

Reading your previous thread, you guys seem to know loads about leaky issues in Minis- any thoughts on the one below.

I've recently purchased the car and have discovered a nasty little problem with water getting into the cabin. Water appears to be draining into the rear view mirror from somewhere. Annoyingly, it then cascades down on to the central console and the electrics- when it happens, the radio and heater are affected.

I've checked the sunroof drains and they appear to be clear. Could it be the windscreen seal- would water collect into the rear view mirror if so?

Any help appreciated.
Old 28 February 2010, 10:29 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Need some info mr fish. Get me the Last seven digits of the chassis number and i'll look on the mini infonet tommorrow morning for you. Sounds like a detatched/blocked sunroof tube.
When does the fault happen?
Heavy/light rainfall??
Car parked on a slope? (facing uphill or downhill?)
Cheers
Matt.
Old 01 March 2010, 09:33 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Right, had a look this morning and there is a known fault on your model where the windscreen bonding has not applied correctly to the top part of the windscreen (directly above where the rear view mirror is!) If you can.....spray some soapy water arond the outside egde of the windscreen, and use compressed air to blow the inside edges of the screen to see if there is a leak. This fault definately sounds like your problem fishboy.
Regards
Matt.
Old 01 March 2010, 09:52 AM
lee1184
Scooby Regular

Thats exactly what mine is going in for tomorrow they are removing the windscreen and re-bonding it so that it no-longer leaks.

Hopefully it will come out as it went in without any extra Scratches..

If any one has one please could they email me a copy of a car assesment sheet that garages use so that i can go round the car tonight looking for any little nics or scratches so that i can re-check it when i get it back to see if they have caused any more?

if you have let me know and i will PM my email address

Cheers
Lee
Old 01 March 2010, 10:10 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Lee, have you signed the job card at the dealer yet?? They should have a damage checklist on the reverse of the job card. Normally its filled out on initial take in of the car then forgotten about. Best thing to do is to just check it when you go to pick up the car. Most MINI dealers are very honest about damage caused whilst on their property. I wouldn't stress too much. If you have a fax number i can fax you over an example?
Old 02 March 2010, 10:11 AM
FishBoy99
Scooby Newbie

Default Leaky mini

Gents,

Sorry for the delay. I'll be trying out the foam trick tonight- hopefully it'll be the windscreen and not the roof. Is there any cheap fix other than getting it rebonded? Went out last might and it was like a frozen condensation factory- it took an age to thaw the screen. Took it for a blast to get it thoughly warmed up inside. Carpets still a little damp, but its almost there.

Love the car, shame about the 'issue'. I was going toget a scooby-do, but just couldnt face the insurance bill they wanted me to pay. The fallback was the mini, but I've been pleasantly surprised. It rattles a lot, but once your motoring, the wine of the supercharger takes over.

Any way, before I get all bleary-eyed, thanks for the info. I'll let you know how I get on with the screen check.
Old 02 March 2010, 11:52 AM
FishBoy99
Scooby Newbie

Default Leaky mini

I forgot to add that I've only really experienced the issue with the water coming out of the rear view mirror after the car has been standing on the drive. The drive is flat. Would this still indicate an issue with the front screen?

Is the issue with the top or bottom edge? If it is the screen in my case, then one assumes it must be the top edge, as water would run down on to it. Or is it both, and do I need to be concerned about driving in rain when it cold be forced up thru the bond????
Old 02 March 2010, 11:14 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FishBoy99
If it is the screen in my case, then one assumes it must be the top edge, as water would run down on to it. Or is it both, and do I need to be concerned about driving in rain when it cold be forced up thru the bond????
Well yes, and yes. Basically water can only move the way gravity or wind decides it to go. Best to get the bonding checked asap as there are quite alot of electrical points under the carpet (airbag system, body bus wiring, etc) if these are exposed to moisture for too long, it will result in corrosion to form- bringing a whole new batch of headaches! It sounds like windscreen bonding as water is in your rear view mirror. If it was the roof you'd generally find your seats/carpets wet only. Plus the level parking shows it's not blocked roof drains being overwhelmed by water pooling.
Old 04 March 2010, 12:51 PM
FishBoy99
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by lee1184
Thats exactly what mine is going in for tomorrow they are removing the windscreen and re-bonding it so that it no-longer leaks.

Cheers
Lee

Lee,

Has your mini been done? If you dont mind me asking, how much did the re-bonding cost?

Matt
Old 04 March 2010, 01:41 PM
lee1184
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FishBoy99
Lee,

Has your mini been done? If you dont mind me asking, how much did the re-bonding cost?

Matt
Hi Matt,

Yes its all sorted now, i actually had it done under warrenty i will have a look tonight though how much the bodyshop actually charged on the rapair certificate. (didnt take any notice as i wasnt paying)

If you look at the picture in the yellow circle you will see the water mark and the missing sealent from when it was originally bonded in.

Lee

Old 04 March 2010, 02:01 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Glad its sorted Lee!
Matt, where you based???
Old 09 March 2010, 12:51 PM
FishBoy99
Scooby Newbie

RookyMatt,

SW London way- Ewell.

Took 'Vinnie' (the wife's idea!) on its first long run up to Manchester at the weekend- I was crying at the fuel consumption....I havent had a petrol since my 1.0L Nova. I've only recently come off work lease cars which have all been diesels.

Quick Reply: 2009 Mini Cooper