Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

What van

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2010, 01:11 PM
PovK1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What van

Need a reliable, and cheap to run van, but not a transit, as its too big. Needs to be able to fit a single go kart in the back.

Im thinking maybe a berlingo or something like that?

Budget is 2k.
Old 30 January 2010, 02:53 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Shame Seat don't do Vans !! You could have chipped one.
Old 30 January 2010, 02:57 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Originally Posted by stilover
You can guarantee if Seat did do a van and it was chipped, that once rolling, it would beat an Evo to a 100mph.
Old 30 January 2010, 03:03 PM
PovK1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner
You can guarantee if Seat did do a van and it was chipped, that once rolling, it would beat an Evo to a 100mph.
If it had the 2.0T lump in it, and considering there is no weight in the back! GTR Killer!
Old 30 January 2010, 03:11 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Ive ran a 1.9D Berlingo for 3 years now and it hasnt missed a beat,very reliable and about 430-450 out of a tank of diesel.
Only costs have been tyres and servicing,the servicing is something thats DIY so only part costs.
Old 30 January 2010, 03:13 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

You don't state a budget, but the Peugeot Expert is prob ideal, bigger than a astra type and smaller than a transit.
Renault Traffic swb is another option, but more of less same size as a transit.
Old 30 January 2010, 03:45 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Lots and lots over your budget but what about this for a sleeper style van?

Ford Transit Forum • View topic - 275BHP Focus RS Powered Transit Connect

You'd have to remove the sticker though!
Old 30 January 2010, 06:11 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

I had a Berlingo 2.0 HDI there for a while, brilliant van, nippy and very easy on fuel. Hard to beat the Berlingos/Partner vans, they're very reliable and dont usually give any trouble.

Mines was one of the blue ex British Gas vans and came with full history, low miles and fully plastic lined and shelved in the back, bargain
Old 30 January 2010, 07:36 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PovK1
Need a reliable, and cheap to run van, but not a transit, as its too big. Needs to be able to fit a single go kart in the back.

Budget is 2k.

I'd go for a Fiat Scudo, or the equivalent Puegot/Citroen model, iv'e had a Berlingo and a Kart won't fit in the back easily, you'll soon get hacked of with having to take the pods and wheels off everytime you want to put it in the back, and theres no room for any tools or spares
Old 30 January 2010, 07:52 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

As above said, you wont get a kart in a berlingo sized van(not without a struggle and putting it on its side!) For your budget, you should be able to get a Peugeot Expert sized van ( still smaller than swb Transit) with that 2.0 hdi engine. Forget the VWs as there overpriced (ex AA vans) and overated
Old 30 January 2010, 08:08 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Would recommend against the Peugeot Boxer van! A mate has one, and he's had so many issues with it it's just not funny! He's currently in the process of taking legal action to try and get his money back.
Old 30 January 2010, 08:48 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PovK1

Budget is 2k.
Berlingo all the way .Had one from new for last 6 years .Not missed a beat .!
Certainly earned its money .Tonnes of shat to tip over the years .

500 plus to tank full when on a good run .2 ltr diesel .
Old 31 January 2010, 11:28 AM
chris666
Scooby Regular

£2k would get you a 2000-2001 vito 108/110cdi with lowish milage
low rear step & twin side doors,nice to drive & good on fuel
just look for any colour but white( white seems to rust on side doors)
Old 31 January 2010, 06:19 PM
AJF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
yes they do its call the inca based on the old volkswagon caddy

Adrian
Old 31 January 2010, 08:00 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

There you go then...

Look of STI's, Evo's & RS4's. Breathed on Inca coming past.
Old 31 January 2010, 08:21 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

Gotta disagree on the comment about the VW's - got an M-reg transporter I use for work that's made it to 200k and is still going strong. Had a few probs with it last year but only due to basically wearing out. Been relatively cheap to fix and maintain and even now is still pretty nice to drive - I travel all over the country for work so comfort is important!

The 2nd van we have is a pain in the backside - Merc Sprinter medium wheel base - needed something a bit bigger for some of the jobs we do. It's the top spec one for it's year (02) so it's pretty quick for a van but maintenance is dear, parts prices are offensive, the traction control system on it sucks and if you make use of it's ability to crack 100mph (on private roads of course ) then the mpg goes through the floor. They're also known for problems with the header pumps (can vouch for that one since the one on mine split its casing and pi$$ed diesel all over the engine bay whilst driving) and with the injectors. Both those problems come with harsh price tags too (fortunately mine had 2 weeks left on the warranty when the pump went so I got away with it!!!).

Mate had a Vito that he was using primarily to go fishing. Sold it after 6months having replaced a knackered turbo only to have one of the injectors fail a week later - Mercs recommendation is to replace the full set as once one goes, the rest will follow shortly after ... Nice!!!!
Old 31 January 2010, 10:28 PM
chris666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobymad555
Gotta disagree on the comment about the VW's - got an M-reg transporter I use for work that's made it to 200k and is still going strong. Had a few probs with it last year but only due to basically wearing out. Been relatively cheap to fix and maintain and even now is still pretty nice to drive - I travel all over the country for work so comfort is important!

The 2nd van we have is a pain in the backside - Merc Sprinter medium wheel base - needed something a bit bigger for some of the jobs we do. It's the top spec one for it's year (02) so it's pretty quick for a van but maintenance is dear, parts prices are offensive, the traction control system on it sucks and if you make use of it's ability to crack 100mph (on private roads of course ) then the mpg goes through the floor. They're also known for problems with the header pumps (can vouch for that one since the one on mine split its casing and pi$$ed diesel all over the engine bay whilst driving) and with the injectors. Both those problems come with harsh price tags too (fortunately mine had 2 weeks left on the warranty when the pump went so I got away with it!!!).

Mate had a Vito that he was using primarily to go fishing. Sold it after 6months having replaced a knackered turbo only to have one of the injectors fail a week later - Mercs recommendation is to replace the full set as once one goes, the rest will follow shortly after ... Nice!!!!
quite true if an injector fails then it would make sense to replace the rest
as they have all done the same work
you would'nt just change one set of brake pads that were worn when the other side had 1-2mil left you would change them all at the same time
or would you just change 1 injector on an impreza if that failed?
we run a fleet of vito's all from 06-59 each one averaging around 40-60k
per year other than servicing & tyres we have had no problems
& they all still look good after a good wash,no rips on the interior.
to me & work they are the perfect mid size van. thats why we buy them
Old 31 January 2010, 11:06 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

I wasn't questioning the logic of replacing them chris, I was merely stating Mercs advise.

Not sure I'd compare replacing them to brake pads though considering even a reconditioned set of injectors is going to cost upwards of £400 plus £50 for the taiwan knock off tool (or £200+ for the genuine merc one) to get the injectors in and out if you fancy doing it yourself. Personally I'm not a big fan of recon parts when it comes to things like injectors though and I'd far rather not have to work on the van myself (it's hard enough finding the time to work on my scooby nevermind the vans! ) so I'd be expecting a far more sizeable bill

That plus there's the recovery fee if you don't have aa/rac etc for the nightmare of if an injector fails when you're not at home and the engine management shuts down

Considering the Vito and the Sprinter are both known for eating injectors I just thought I'd let the OP know. Obviously our servicing costs on the Sprinter go through the business books as I've no doubt your Vito fleet ones do too but that's the key point - you and I have business budgets to cover the costs which, with Mercs can get very high when something does go wrong. On that basis, personally I wouldn't consider having one as a domestic use that I was looking to cover out of my own pocket but that's only my opinion.
Old 31 January 2010, 11:42 PM
ratboy
Scooby Regular

Used to fit my go-kart in an astra van but got a pug expert 2.0 HDI now and its quite simply a brilliant van.
600 to the tank and as much torque as a uk scoobie.
So nice to drive,its like driving a car....
Old 08 February 2010, 01:35 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaunywrx
I'd go for a Fiat Scudo, or the equivalent Puegot/Citroen model, iv'e had a Berlingo and a Kart won't fit in the back easily, you'll soon get hacked of with having to take the pods and wheels off everytime you want to put it in the back, and theres no room for any tools or spares
Forget that, see the budget is 2k. lol.

Last edited by Spec'c'57; 08 February 2010 at 01:37 PM.