Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a great bit of kit tho.
Old 08 October 2009, 09:44 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Ooo, and its local to me

Similar thing happened at a Vauxhall dealership involving a mobile phone, a VXR and You-tube.

I will say this; the car would need a test drive to get it fully up to temp to fully presurise the cooling system as a final assertation that the leaks are fixed and ensure all the air is fully bled out. But thats a far cry from a sustained 100mph+ blast down the A435
Old 08 October 2009, 10:01 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Read the thread: Seems someone off the internet informed the police: Stupid prats!

I'd be livid if someone did that, as now the owner has to put up with a load of ****e from police questioning and possible retaliation from the garage (and their friends and family) should they decide to play hardball.

Sorry, I just can't stand goody-goody curtain twitchers. If the owner wanted it reported, he could have done it himself.

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 October 2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08 October 2009, 10:41 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Read the thread: Seems someone off the internet informed the police: Stupid prats!

I'd be livid if someone did that, as now the owner has to put up with a load of ****e from police questioning and possible retaliation from the garage (and their friends and family) should they decide to play hardball.

Sorry, I just can't stand goody-goody curtain twitchers. If the owner wanted it reported, he could have done it himself.
Point taken, but if he didn't want it reported (which I just can't understand) then he shouldn't have posted it all over the net. How often do they drive customers cars like that? F&ckers should be sacked and have their licenses taken away at the very least least.
Old 08 October 2009, 11:42 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

+ 10000

I'd be mad if someone that has nothing to do with the matters reported it to the police thereby ensuring my involvement with the judicial system.
Old 08 October 2009, 11:50 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Roadhawk looks a good bit of kit. Good for filming track days especially with a built in G sensor.

I wonder if it will do rear facing too?

I've always had problems with unmarked police trying to bait me into speeding by tailgaiting me in the hope I nail it. This would be good to show in court should the need arise

Trending Topics

Old 08 October 2009, 12:34 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Front/rear kit is available.

Roadhawk in car safety camera system
Old 08 October 2009, 01:06 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

What's the legal status of the cam kit?

Is it admissable as evidence or would you have to warn people they were being filmed first a la cctv?

5t.
Old 08 October 2009, 02:15 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

What like a the police warn you that you're being filmed before they nick you and show you the footage?

Bit like this camera. It can be programmed to start recording 25 seconds before or after it detects high G's. How does that work then?

from the site itself

This blackbox car camera can be set to store video on a constant loop or to only store 25 seconds before and after it detects and accident or adverse G-Forces. In impact recorder mode it's possible to stores months worth of video.

Somehow it knows 25 seconds in advance that you're going to have an accident. Genius LOL
Old 08 October 2009, 02:29 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
What like a the police warn you that you're being filmed before they nick you and show you the footage?

Bit like this camera. It can be programmed to start recording 25 seconds before or after it detects high G's. How does that work then?

from the site itself

This blackbox car camera can be set to store video on a constant loop or to only store 25 seconds before and after it detects and accident or adverse G-Forces. In impact recorder mode it's possible to stores months worth of video.

Somehow it knows 25 seconds in advance that you're going to have an accident. Genius LOL
Always recording, and keeps a buffer of the last 25 seconds which can be saved if necessary I presume.
Old 08 October 2009, 02:56 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

It can be programmed to start recording 25 seconds before or after it detects high G's. How does that work then?
Just as RJMS said. They used a similar set up on the high speed camera's that captured the amazing shark breaches on "planet earth". They simply couldn't record continuously at that frame rate so they had a 20 second buffer. As soon as the camera man saw a breach he'd hit the button and it would remember the last 10 seconds and record and remember the next 10. That way you get the breach from before it happens until after it's completed.
Old 08 October 2009, 02:58 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Also, this whole thing seems like a thinly-veiled advert for Road Hawk. I must admit the first thing I did was go to their web-site! However, it seems fitting that on the website they are using this video/story to market their product
Old 08 October 2009, 03:08 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Now you say that. Does sound rather odd eh. Nice marketing.
Old 08 October 2009, 03:18 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Spec'c'57
Now you say that. Does sound rather odd eh. Nice marketing.
Would backfire if the police knocked on their door asking why they were doing 100+ on the A435 for sakes of an advert
Old 08 October 2009, 03:24 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

I know but im sure we all clicked on the link.

Looking again tho. The link isnt in the first post so unlikely eh.
Old 08 October 2009, 03:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Its the same footage though, but the tracking map is a satellite view instead of a map, so how did road-hawk get the vid?

They must be quick on the ball to stick it on their website, or this is just a marketing excercise.

Originally Posted by http://www.roadhawk.co.uk/
Roadhawk News
•RH-1 Catches garage taking a customer's car for a joyride at over 125mph! Click to Watch in Video
(well spotted SB )

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 October 2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08 October 2009, 03:38 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

There is a local Rapid-Fit a couple streets away from my work. They are always borrowing customer cars to do the sandwich run. I hear them screaming the cars down the road.

I took my old Focus RS in for a puncture to be fixed. They wanted me to leave it with them for the afternoon as they were busy. Not a chance. Explained why, and what I'd have to do to the spotty faced tw*t should I see/hear my RS doing the Sandwich run. Puncture was fixed there and then.
Old 08 October 2009, 06:11 PM
PovK1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
+ 10000

I'd be mad if someone that has nothing to do with the matters reported it to the police thereby ensuring my involvement with the judicial system.
agreed.

Plus someone could lose their livelyhood now over this.

If it was my car I would be livid, but I wouldnt want someone to lose their job, and put them at risk of not being able to pay the mortage etc!
Old 08 October 2009, 06:32 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

I ALWAYS write the milage down and let them know it...if a testdrive is needed they call me
Old 08 October 2009, 09:14 PM
j555 hks
Scooby Regular

125mph sooo close to that lorry ,
they should have crashed n pegged it would have served them f*kin right.
that roadhawk is awsome.
Old 08 October 2009, 10:36 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If someone did this with my car I would want the full book thrown at them. If people knew that they could loose everything by being this stupid then they would not do it. People loose their jobs through no fault of their own, firm's going into liquidation, they could loose everything. So why should a T#^T like these be let off lightly???
Old 09 October 2009, 02:23 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been into this garage a couple of times a while ago and have seen a couple of scoobys being worked on,if its the same unit (specialize in LPG conversions).Dont think i'll be going back-whatever the motivations for the op
Old 09 October 2009, 05:15 PM
rh1
Scooby Newbie

Hi All,

Just wanted to clear this up for you.
There's no way we would ever dare to make a video like this to market the roadhawk product, it would have come back on us pretty quickly if it had! Although it has been useful to help bring attention to this technology.

We get sent videos from other customers who have been in accidents but I don't think they work quite as well as an advertisement!

The customer who owns the video is actually a really pleasant chap, i've spoken to him on a few occasions and i believe he posted it online to name/shame the garage after all, most of us would be pretty miffed if this happened to us.

We got sent the original data/video file from this video and from that we made a slightly higher quality video with a higher frame rate and also to show off the google map overlay.

To Saxo-Boy and RJMS you are both spot on, it keeps up to 25 seconds in a constantly looping buffer for the pre record function.

Cheers....Mark.
Old 09 October 2009, 07:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

rh1, well done on coming on here to explain things, looks like a good product and sounds like the customer service might be pretty good !

I had an incident years ago that led me to distrust garages, I spent all my savings as a lad of twenty on a four year old Manta GTE, it had a rusty rear valance and was still covered under the body warranty, took it in, got it agreed and then dropped it off one evening after work and then waited for my dad to pick me up, saw two ******* get in it and then pull out onto the road with the rear tyres pouring smoke (I didnt think it had it in it) and then screw it round to the compound pulling the handbrake on, I was LIVID, I went in and was screaming blue murder, the manager was off with me until he relaised what I was ranting about, I got a free service and two new rear tyres for my trouble, the driver was apparently sent on his way, they made a superb job of the valance.

I can understand the temptation but if its a customer car, its off limits.
Old 09 October 2009, 07:08 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Read the thread: Seems someone off the internet informed the police
Who was it, Tron?
Old 09 October 2009, 07:34 PM
rh1
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by J4CKO
rh1, well done on coming on here to explain things, looks like a good product and sounds like the customer service might be pretty good !
Thanks J4cko,

I had a similar thing happen to me when I was 18 (a few years ago now) I took my car in for new tyres and spotted them tearing around the industrial estate shortly after leaving the car. Quite surreal to see your own car being driven like that by someone else. I ran back to the garage and they hadn't even done the work! Unfortunately, i was a bit too young to "complain" effectively so ended up just taking it to another garage. These days I would have made sure i got my tyres done FOC.

The real motivation for starting roadhawk was actually an accident i was in (same car in fact) where a foreign driver on the wrong side of the road crashed in to me. He had the nerve to take me to court here in the UK claiming it was ME on the wrong side.
Old 09 October 2009, 09:01 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Rh1, since you are here perhaps you can answer a question I have in relation to the technology. I can obviously see and understand the benefits however, as you might expect on such a forum a great many drivers here are 'enthusiastic' and that will entail, for many of us, occasional driving that wouldn't be viewed in a particularly good light in a court room. This is especially so if it led to a crash. My concern with such equipment in my car is that rather than safeguarding me against the many numpties on the road it could be used to prove that I was indeed traveling down the motorway at 85mph with the cruise control on, or that I did take an aggressive speed through some corners whilst enjoying the handling of my car.

What are the legalities of the product? Has it been used to prosecute one of your own customers? Am I to assume that the majority of your customer base are people that drive well within the law 99%+ of the time?

Last edited by LG John; 09 October 2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09 October 2009, 09:41 PM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Similar thing happened to me last year, I put the scoob in for a service in the morning.
I was getting jarred from various people for driving like a nutter that afternoon,
it turned out the young apprentice decided to take my car for a 60 mile road test and drove like a complete pratt in it.

Which resulted in him getting charged for theft of my car and the garage owner paying for my service bill and petrol. Now the garage is struggling for business as it became public knowledge in my home town on how they treated customers cars.

Quick Reply: Garage takes customers Monaro out for a test drive