Opinions on the E36 M3??

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2009, 11:11 AM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on the E36 M3??

Hey guys...

Been looking in to these lately and after owning a 323i coupe which i liked back in the day and the M3's coming into the same price bracket as a classic uk turbo etc.

Has anyone driven one for a long period of time? Or better still gone from a Scooby to one or one to a Scooby??

Thanks

Al
Old 12 September 2009, 11:51 AM
Julio Jordio
Scooby Regular

I'd also be interested in the responses....

I was looking at these on Autotrader this morning lol.
Old 12 September 2009, 11:55 AM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Anything that has half a Mclaren F1 engine in it gets my vote !! Top cars just make sure it's been well serviced and if you're looking at an EVO that the Vanos unit is functioning properly.

Like any other BMW of that age the suspension can be tired check for worn bushes and especially lower ball joints and play in the steering rack ends.

Otherwise pretty much bullet proof if it's been well maintained.
Old 12 September 2009, 10:21 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Good Good thanks mate..anyone else??
Old 13 September 2009, 04:32 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I was looking at one of these, until I found out the inspection II service is over 1k!!! thats just madness, and can't see how they can justify that for whats involved. I'm probably going to change my scoob to a 330 M Sport as cheaper to run/service than the M3, obviously providing nothing too serious goes wrong, but thinking about it if something goes wrong with the M3 it's going to cost serious bucks!!
Old 13 September 2009, 07:37 PM
jespin
Scooby Regular

An Inspection II should be no more than about £350 at a decent Indi and anyone who's taking a car of that age to the stealers has got more money than sense. I ran one for 2 years and other than some bushes it was fault free. Great value now as they are not likely to get much cheaper and are starting to be quite highly regarded in some circles.

Despite the Vanos warnings, get an Evo if you can as they are a bit quicker, have a 6th gear which is better for fuel economy and quicker steering. Obviously you'll be getting a newer car too and better spec.
Old 13 September 2009, 07:49 PM
bruvjon
Scooby Regular

Got a P reg saloon 3.2 evo had it for 3 years and it's done 167000 still going strong nothing major gone wrong with it either just service items like tyres shocks cos they were tired and after 46000 miles a set of new pads front and rear last service was a oil change with the pads and mot and all in 230 pounds
average around town 26 miles to a gallon and on the motorway shows anywhere from 35-40 mpg
Old 14 September 2009, 11:31 AM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help guys that's just what I'm after.Might look into selling the scooby soon ans if i get what I want for it then going to get an M3 Evo that's had the vanos done.
Old 14 September 2009, 08:44 PM
jespin
Scooby Regular

Shouldn't worry too much about the Vanos provided it's not noisy as even if it's been replaced, there's no guarantee that it won't go again. It's not a problem that BMW ever cured.
Old 14 September 2009, 10:16 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jespin
An Inspection II should be no more than about £350 at a decent Indi and anyone who's taking a car of that age to the stealers has got more money than sense. I ran one for 2 years and other than some bushes it was fault free. Great value now as they are not likely to get much cheaper and are starting to be quite highly regarded in some circles.

Despite the Vanos warnings, get an Evo if you can as they are a bit quicker, have a 6th gear which is better for fuel economy and quicker steering. Obviously you'll be getting a newer car too and better spec.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was looking at the e46 M3's so guess the servicing is more on these?
Old 18 September 2009, 11:09 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

ttt
Old 23 September 2009, 08:04 PM
tandino
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jespin
Shouldn't worry too much about the Vanos provided it's not noisy as even if it's been replaced, there's no guarantee that it won't go again. It's not a problem that BMW ever cured.

to be honest they all make some form of noise, if they feel flat perfomance wise you should be worried but a bit of noise especially on tick over is pretty much the norm.
Pull the vanos filter out each oil change and replace and you will keep the Vanos healthy.